LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Help Rattling noise from the engine compartment

Hi ,
I am new to the forum and I am trying to find some answers for my problem.
I recently bought 06 Nissan Murano SL with about 55000 miles.
The problem that i am having as i can see is the same as many other Murano owners.
Basically I am having a rattling noise coming from the engine area. It only happens when you accelerate and with in a range of 1200rpm to 2000rpm after that is gone.When in park or neutral you wont hear anything no noise at all. It only happens under engine load. When i start the vehicle in the morning the engine is a little bit loud and i would say acts lazy. And the rattling noise/sound like an old diesel engine shows up after few minutes of the engine running. I can hear the noise coming from the engine compartment, especially on the passenger side and is very annoying. So after driving for longer time maybe 30 minutes or more I can tell that the noise goes down maybe even goes completely away or its very small that i can't hear it . It could be still there but not like on the beginning.
I have been using high octane fuel and the oil has been changed so I think that's not the problem.
My opinion is probably the fuel damper because the rattle comes from that part of the engine.
Please help any leads what i should try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

I am going to suggest defective fuel dampers.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Welcome to the forum
i had the same sound on my 03 murano and after i changed the cam position sensor it just went away.....
#4 Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would check your oil level when it rattles because it could be the timing chain you are hearing rattling. If your Murano is losing oil between oil changes that could cause the chain to rattle in the case due to having a small amount of oil in the crankcase. Do your Murano have an oil consumption problem or possible oil leak?

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#5 Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagordo73 View Post
Welcome to the forum
i had the same sound on my 03 murano and after i changed the cam position sensor it just went away.....
do you have a code before changing the cam position sensor?
#6 Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM

Please post the followup to this. We have owned our 04 since new. Only has 70 k on it. Ours makes the same noise. Its been doing it for the last 2 years. The oil disappears also. About a quart every couple hundred miles. No leaks, no smoke, no burning smell. Quiet as can be in neutral. Even if you gun it. This car has been the most expensive piece up junk i have ever bought. I just put $ 750.00 worth of tires on it yesterday so we 'll have to keep it a while longer. I would love to fix the noise but there are about 6 things on this forum that guys say it is. I have a bad feeling the stealership wouldnt know either but would be more than happy to experiment at my expense.
#7 Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM

I had the same problem,no one could find the source untill 6mts ago.It turned out to be the flex pipe on the front tube(exhaust)Do not go through dealer for this $1,300.Aftermarket 2-300 took me 30mins to exchange
#8 Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I get the rattle noise on acceleration if my oil gets too low. Once I change the oil or add some to the proper level it goes away.
#9 Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM

It is amazing how many different answers to this issue are circulating on the Interwebs.

• heat shields
  • oil level
  • fuel system
  • cam position sensor
  • gremlins

I have also seen a number of posts where the timing chain was blamed, which leads to my story!

I am at 97,000 miles and have taken great care of the car since buying used at 49,000. The rattling began at about 94,000 miles or so; I can't remember exactly. As with most others with this issue, upon gentle acceleration the rattle comes in around 1000-2100 rpm, but the car will sometimes go for days with no sign of an issue. It sounds like this (not my vehicle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAYQYCnhRWg

I brought it into Carmax and they thought it was the timing chain. It's covered under my extended warranty, so I'll be bringing it in on Monday to a Nissan dealership to look at. If it turns out to be the timing chain, the whole thing cost me $50. I'll keep you guys updated.

My choice in music is better than or equal to yours: There Is A Site That Never Goes Out
#10 Old 07-12-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having this exact same problem. Sounds like valves or a timing chain to me. Patiently waiting to see what it is
#11 Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM

OK, I am back from the dealer with my car, noise free...but it isn't that simple.

One thing I neglected to mention before, is that the thing which really prompted me to take my car into Carmax was the Service Engine indicator came on. The rattling sound had been going on for some time - I had almost gotten used to it - but the Service Engine indicator was what I brought the car in for.

When I brought the car to Carmax, they took care of the Service Engine issue (I'll get to that in a sec) and had them check the noise. That was when the timing chain diagnosis came down.

Coincidentally, once I picked the car up from Carmax there was no clicking/rattling. NOT A SOUND. For one full week there was NO RATTLING AT ALL. Hmmm...

Today I dropped the car off at the Nissan dealership. They did everything they could to hear the noise. The service manager said they "put a stethoscope up to it" (I am guessing that's hyperbole) and couldn't hear anything which would indicate the chain was going bad. She DID say that it is very possible that when Carmax took care of the Service Engine code, which was for an IDLE AIR RELEARN, that took care of the problem.

Well, that's all I've got! I am sorry that there isn't a specific issue I can laser in on, but at this point I am just going to go by what the dealership says, and the incredible coincidence of the sound disappearing immediately after the idle air relearn service.

My choice in music is better than or equal to yours: There Is A Site That Never Goes Out
#12 Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Automotive stethoscope: very inexpensive ($9.99 @ Autozone) and very handy. I have one and it's a nice tool. Just touch the suspect assembly with the rod, and listen through the ear pieces...

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#13 Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM

#14 Old 07-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lawsuit does not look like it includes Murano

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: