Clicking? Stretched spring? 04 Murano SL - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Clicking? Stretched spring? 04 Murano SL

Hi! I joined the forum with hopes that I can get some ongoing advice! This was always my husbands job, but he had a massive stroke a few years ago so I'm learning a lot! I bought my Murano used a few years ago. Basic repairs here and there, and then in July 2012 the transmission went out... Thank God that was covered by warranty/recall! I had the brakes replaced in June 2012 but now on the front right end, when I brake, I hear a clicking noise or maybe something like a spring pulling/clicking. I have had Goodyear do all the maintenance on the vehicle & the dealership replaced the transmission. I'm really nervous about this new noise. From reading the posts here, could this be a control arm issue? I hope not (sounds extremely pricy). If it is, would Goodyear or a mechanic (private/small business) be able to repair or is that strictly a dealership fix? Sorry for such a long post & multiple questions! Any help/advice will be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Have a mechanic give you an opinion. We're not going to be able to really nail it long distance, but it's not necessarily something expensive. Could even be a rock stuck in the back side of the brake caliper and touching the rotor every now and then.

The control arms from the aftermarket are not especially expensive, so don't get too alarmed about them, or for that matter, something that may not even come to pass. Your safety matters, so don't put off having it checked just because you're nervous about potential cost.

Let us know what you find out.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Pilgrim! I will post back when I find out!
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Hello there, thanks again Pilgrim. I assumed I would hear squealing when brakes are bad... In this instance whoever previously installed the front brakes on this vehicle evidently installed them incorrectly! Bottom line I did need new front brake pads. It's all done and the clicking is gone! I obviously stressed myself expecting the worse!

Give me 6 months and I'll be fixing my car myself! (NOT). Thanks again for the advice, I've got a lot to learn now!
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Knowledge is power. Once you know "the deal", you can make decisions about what steps to take.

I'll bet they got the spring retainers installed incorrectly.

BTW - if the front pads are worn out, have someone eyeball the rear pads as well. For obscure and semi-paranormal reasons, the rear disc pads often wear faster than the front pads on this car. It's the only vehicle I know of that exhibits that wear pattern.

And you're right, replacing brake pads is pretty easy - in fact, if you need rear pads, I have a how-to with pictures already available on this forum. It is something that anyone with a couple of hours and a jackstand can do. The only thing you need to check is the condition of the rear rotors..no grooves or uneven wear, please.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: