User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Do not use Cyclo CARB CLEAN

Hello guys,

Two days ago I decided to clean the the air intake, mass air flow sensor and throttle, since my 2006 murano ran over 124 miles. So, I bought a bottle of Cyclo CARB CLEAN and used it as directed. When I finished I started the engine but :eek: it rattles. I drove it for miles and accelerated a bit to get rid of what left of that can. Service-engine-soon light came on and I was like

Unplugged the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer although it's wrong (we should not do it, it must go by following technical procedures). Anyway, it went away but the car still not OK. I must take it to the dealer soon.

So, I'm just warning you not to use Cyclo carb clean.

And if some1 has a fix for this problem I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozo1 View Post
Hello guys,

Two days ago I decided to clean the the air intake, mass air flow sensor and throttle, since my 2006 murano ran over 124 miles. So, I bought a bottle of Cyclo CARB CLEAN and used it as directed. When I finished I started the engine but :eek: it rattles. I drove it for miles and accelerated a bit to get rid of what left of that can. Service-engine-soon light came on and I was like

Unplugged the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer although it's wrong (we should not do it, it must go by following technical procedures). Anyway, it went away but the car still not OK. I must take it to the dealer soon.

So, I'm just warning you not to use Cyclo carb clean.

And if some1 has a fix for this problem I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
What did you do exactly when you used the cleaner? What did the cleaner's directions instruct you to do?

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#3 Old 11-30-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy75 View Post
What did you do exactly when you used the cleaner? What did the cleaner's directions instruct you to do?
Take a look..

I did what the directions said.

I disassembled the air-intake hoses twice and re-attached, the car seems run OK until I speed up to 110 mph then the engine stops accelerating, just satys idle until I stop and turn it off, then start the car again. Even though, cars does not drive smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1610.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	17716   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1616.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	17717   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1617.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	17718  
#4 Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This spray looks like a mechanical part cleaning fluid. Not electronic. It looks like it's designed to clean everything that does not have electronics affiliated with it on older cars that need a carburetor. Things like your throttle body might be okay. You'll notice on the can it states you can clean gum, varnish, and carbon the following:

Carburetor
Throttle plate area of fuel-injected vehicles
Vacuum piston & cylinder
PCV valve

None of these items have electronic parts!

Also mentions in the instructions:
Carburetor throat
Automatic choke
Carburetor butterfly
Throttle linkage
PCV valve

Also none of which have electronics. I would have used this stuff on my carburetor for my 1982 Ford Granada V6. Not for sophisticated electronics on a newer vehicle!

Sorry to say, but I think you may have fried your Mass Air Flow Sensor and potentially your Throttle Body. If your MO threw a code, get it read. First thing I'd do is get the MAF replaced and go from there. If you took everything apart, ensure that all connectors are plugged in and fully seated. Before you go buying new parts, try to salvage what you got by spraying them with the correct cleaners. You may be ble to save your MAF and TB. You need something that is vaporizes 100% and leaves behind no residue afterwords.

I use this once per year on my MAF sensor:
Amazon Amazon

Once you use it, shake the MAF sensor dry and then hit it with some light air from a compressor, not full blast. Leaves no residue!

And use this to clean your throttle body:
Amazon Amazon

Good luck! Looks like you have some troubleshooting in your future. Hopefully hitting things with the correct cleaner will correct the mistake and not hit your pocketbook that hard!

The service manual states if you unplug either your MAF or your TB you might need to do the Idle Air Volume Relearn steps. If your MO idles high or shuts off after being started, look into this procedure. Post back here with results...

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#5 Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Warhammer,

Thanks for your post.

I'm very aware that the MAFS is a sensitive part and must be cleaned with some special spraies like the one you mentioned. And I did clean it with a similar spray designed for electronics and leaves no residue. I also unplugged the battery terminal before unplugging the MAFS.

And no, there isn't any kind of error code show up , thank god.

Now, after re-disassembling the whole air-intake hoses and pipes it's fine except little high idle.

Must drop by the dealer, I'll keep you guys informed.
#6 Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozo1 View Post
...the car seems run OK until I speed up to 110 mph then the engine stops accelerating...
That is how you test it?

LOL, mine would probably not pass that test either...

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#7 Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
That is how you test it?

LOL, mine would probably not pass that test either...
Actually, I'm not speedy guy. My top speed normally about 85 mph. I passed 110 mph just to make sure nothing left of that stupid can. I drive my Mo over 100 mph once a month for some technical reasons.
#8 Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Don't take it down to the dealership just yet. My bet is that your idle air is off since you unplugged the battery, throttle body, and MAF. Follow the procedure in this thread and see how your MO performs. It's a bit tricky, and is definitely based on time (seconds), but it's doable.

The dealership will charge you too much to plug in their Consult-II tool to redo the Idle Air Volume Relearn.

Check this out and follow the diagrams and instructions in posts 13, 14, 15, and 25: Bad gas mileage

You will most definitely need a watch on this one. My watch has a second hand that was used to ensure the timing works for the relearn. Good luck! It will take a few tries to get it right!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#9 Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Hey, warhammer

Just wait for the results.
#10 Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Back.

sorry, I've been busy.

Anyway, I tried what you've suggested and it worked. I took my MO for ride and I reached 115 mph with no problem arise.

Thank you so much for this, I really do appreciate your help. But still suspect that can, I hope I'm wrong.

p.s. When you know you're right, be ready to take action and proud.

Good luck
#11 Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM

And proud I am. Glad to help!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: