User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All Fluids Change

Hi All
I bought 2007 Nissan Murano S with 60k miles from a Nissan dealer 3 months back and i have a feeling to change all the fluids as i am not sure what the quality of fluids are at this time and i can relax knowing that all fluids have been recently changed

What are the fluids that need to be changed? and also does it matter where they get changed .I have historically used sears auto service whenever fluids need to be changed and they were ok.

Is it recommended to get the fluids changed only at Nissan dealerships

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Shift|Live

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey.. my cousin is a mechanic and did mine at 48k miles. he said it was a good idea.. that stuff gets dirty! as specially if you have AWD, you should drain/ fill rear diff, and trans case etc.. i did the following:

REAR DIFF OIL SERVICE, CVT FLUID SERVICE, TRANSFER CASE FLUID SERVICE, BRAKE FLUID SERVICE, COOLANT DRAIN & FILL SERVICE

so do it.. its a small price to pay to make sure your car is in good condition moving forward.

06 Murano SL AWD | Glacier Pearl | Touring | NAVI | VDC | w/ sunroof deflector and mud flaps!

post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
You are not due for CVT service yet and IMO should do nothing with the CVT other than checking the fluid level. It costs a pretty good penny to change that fluid and it's awfully early.

I agree that it's a good idea to set a known starting point when buying a car, but you don't need to do so well before a service interval exists.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Shift|Live

if its an AWD, the transfer case is built into the tranny. like i said, i did mine at 48k miles, and it was pretty dirty.

06 Murano SL AWD | Glacier Pearl | Touring | NAVI | VDC | w/ sunroof deflector and mud flaps!

post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalinin3 View Post
if its an AWD, the transfer case is built into the tranny. like i said, i did mine at 48k miles, and it was pretty dirty.
Not to be argumentative, but the color of the gear oil (or motor oil) is not a useful indicator of the need for a change.

The CVT fluid does not need to be changed (according to Nissan) until a fluid analysis conducted by a dealer indicates the need for it to be changed. Normal service life is evidently expected to be about 120K miles (which may just mean they don't want to cover it under the 120K warranty.)

Reference (one of many on this forum): CVT/TC fluid Change

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Shift|Live

i mostly agree.. i just know that nice fresh oil is good for systems.. breaking, tranny, engine, etc.. the oil is there for a reason.. nissan maint schedule calls for trans case oil inspect/ replacement at 36k miles. since the trans case is built into the tranny, i did both. my mechanic is my cousin who i trust.. he advised me to do it.. i did it, and after the fact, he said it was a good idea. so its a great recomendation if you plan on keeping your car and want it to run smooth.

additionally, my cousin always jokes that when cars come in w/ problems, 9 times out of 10, the problem could have been avoided if the owner followed main. schedule. we all, myself included, think those things are scams and dealers want out $$.. but not that i actually keep my cars for year and years, i change my thinking and try and keep the maint up to date.

but yes, more often than not, the car will be ok for years.. even if you dont change your fluids...

cheers

post #7 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM

You are aware that the transfer case and transmission are bolted together, but do not use the same lubricant, right?

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Shift|Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You are aware that the transfer case and transmission are bolted together, but do not use the same lubricant, right?
yes. but i just did all fluids. plus its like a qt of oil in the transf case.. its no biggy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: