Another towing job successfully completed! - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Another towing job successfully completed!

My wife and I drove the 07 from Fort Collins CO to Lawton OK (710 miles) on Thursday. It was time to move our youngest daughter's stuff home while she finishes an internship in Oklahoma.

On Friday about 11:00 I picked up a U-Haul 6x12 double-axle trailer and at 3:00 met two movers contracted through U-Haul who loaded the trailer for us in 75 minutes. It was damn nice to watch them work! Why didn't I do this last time??

And yes, the trailer is a bit tongue-heavy, as it was supposed to be. In fact, it probably was a bit more tongue-heavy than it needed to be, so the ride over expansion bump was pretty rough - all bumps were transmitted from the trailer into the Murano.

The trailer was loaded to within a few inches of the tailgate.

And the Murano was well loaded, as well as being ready to carry three people.

By Friday afternoon at 4:30 we were ready to go, so we headed 60+ miles north to Oklahoma City to pick up the daughter, who was finishing an exam and who needed to leave her car at the OK City airport for her return flight on Jan 2.

So....we drove to Perry, KS that night, laid up, then left at 9:00 AM and made the remaining 650 mile drive to Colorado yesterday.

Mileage on the trip down, with no trailer: about 22-23.

Mileage on the trip back, with a stuffed trailer: varied from 8.5 to 11.5 MPG. Hey, just TRY dragging a trailer that heavy uphill from 1000 feet to 5000 feet while traveling 75 MPH, and also having a crosswind for much of the way!

The Murano never hiccuped or complained, and it performed like a champ. We arrived in time to get into a storage unit at 7:10 PM, and the trailer off-loaded by 7:45, and went home.

A little gas is a cheap price to pay for a three-day 1400-mile round trip, a moved daughter, and Sunday before Christmas to enjoy.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm impressed. That looked like quite a load. The mileage pretty much sucked, but it beats the alternative.

I still don't think I'd do it with my MO.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
You'd be surprised how much better your MPG would have been if you backed that 75 down to 65. The drag on those square trailers gets exponentially worse with each MPH.
#4 Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice write-up!

It's good to see the MO used as a working mule instead of just a show horse.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS View Post
You'd be surprised how much better your MPG would have been if you backed that 75 down to 65. The drag on those square trailers gets exponentially worse with each MPH.
I wouldn't have been surprised at all! I know exactly what you mean and I didn't care a bit. I'd gladly have pulled it at 85 and gotten 6 MPG if I could have.

Gas mileage isn't important to me AT ALL when I'm towing a trailer in a situation like this. What matters is getting where I need to go as quickly as possible, unloading, and getting on with life. I absolutely wouldn't have backed off 10 MPH voluntarily for any reason other than towing problems or mechanical problems.

When you tow a 3000+ pound trailer, gas mileage SUCKS. Don't worry about it, just have a Coke, keep the cruise set at 78 MPH and smile at the miles passing by.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My brother and I drove the largest uhaul truck from Phoenix to Chicago. We floored it the whole way. Sounds crazy but the truck had a speed limiter so we couldn't go faster than 80 miles per hour. It was all about moving on with life as soon as possible
#7 Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigjwkjkljf323 View Post
My brother and I drove the largest uhaul truck from Phoenix to Chicago. We floored it the whole way. Sounds crazy but the truck had a speed limiter so we couldn't go faster than 80 miles per hour. It was all about moving on with life as soon as possible
Exactly!

Considering that it wa a large truck and given the "highly varying" driving skills and competence of their renters (note attempt at diplomacy), I can easily understand why there was a speed limiter on that truck.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#8 Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PIL,

Hope you had a good time with your daughter.. same here, if it was me-- I want to go to my destination ASAP.

Happy holidays folks!

previous owner of '12 SL AWD
glacier pearl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: