Oil found in one spark plug hole? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil found in one spark plug hole?

Guys in changing out my plugs on my wife's '05 MO and I've found a good amount of oil in in cylinder. How much? When I removed the plug socket, it was covered in oil. Car has always run perfectly - no codes. I'm concerned, any ideas??? :eek:

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
It is common for old valve cover gasket on bank 2 (on the firewall side) to leak oil into the plug holes on that side. Dealers routinely recommend replaceing the gasket when changing plugs for that exact reason.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#3 Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
^^^ thats what I figured it could have been. Had the same issue on my other car.
#4 Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks guys, I'm quite relieved................left alone will it cause any damage or should I ignore it? I must say that I don't remember seeing any leakage.

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
#5 Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM

If your in there, I would replace it. If your not smoking blue from the exhaust then it should only be a valve cover gasket issue and not a bad ring. Look closer to the top of the wall where the gasket sits.... You might see oil dripping down the wall. If its not major you might not see anything as you stated, unless you run your finger around and feel moisture from the oil.
#6 Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
If it's just a leaky gasket, it's not immediate priority.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#7 Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My understanding on the spark plug seal is you need to replace the entire rocker cover because nissan does not sell just the plug seal. Its an assembly which cost around 2 bills. So if you wanna eliminate the oil getting into the plugs that is whats required to do. Its not the outer gasket causing it but the ones on the plug holes.
#8 Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Your right, the outer portion of the gasket has nothing to do with it but the whole gasket kit must be purchased anyways. Or at least thats the case most of the time for most cars.
#9 Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try an nissan online part seller, the valve cover is around 150.00 each on the net. You could probably get both sides online for the same price as one side from the dealership.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#10 Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srT4URBO View Post
If your in there, I would replace it. If your not smoking blue from the exhaust then it should only be a valve cover gasket issue and not a bad ring. Look closer to the top of the wall where the gasket sits.... You might see oil dripping down the wall. If its not major you might not see anything as you stated, unless you run your finger around and feel moisture from the oil.
Thanks, but I'm no longer in there. Since I saw no evidence of any oil in the conbustion chamber and made sure the plug seal was good, I just put it all back together and it runs beautifully afterwards. So, just watch for blue smoke from here and leave it alone??

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
#11 Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Thanks, but I'm no longer in there. Since I saw no evidence of any oil in the conbustion chamber and made sure the plug seal was good, I just put it all back together and it runs beautifully afterwards. So, just watch for blue smoke from here and leave it alone??
Yes, I doubt a bad piston ring is your problem but thats what would cause the blue smoke from the exhaust as it burns the oil. Mostly noticeable on a cold startup or with a little rev of the throttle. If it is minimal and you put it all back together, I guess let it be for now. It definetly wont fix itself but might last a bit more depending on the seals condition.
#12 Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the response - this Murano creates no smoke whatsoever. I guess I'll just watch it and see what happens. Happy New Year.

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
#13 Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Oil in spark plug hole might at some point cause misfire which would be noticeable or even throw a code. So next time you are there may want to replace the gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#14 Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Will do and thanks to all who responded. Happy New Year!

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
#15 Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Check out my post: How To -- Throttle Body, Spark Plugs, Firewall Valve Cover

Post 2 picture 7. You can read on but bottom line is that you have to lube up the gaskets before pressing them on the spark plug tubes. My bet is that they were not during original install. I was not having any misfiring issues even with oil in one of my spark plug tubes, but another forum member did.

Just replace the valve cover and you'll be fine. Will have to dig down to get to it though.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: