Headed shopping... - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrow Headed shopping...

Hey guys - first post here. I'm headed out shopping on Saturday to replace the wife's death trap, I mean Cadillac. (not so good in the snow...)

I have a couple first gen Muranos to look at.

2006 SL, loaded, salvage title, 97k miles, $10k. 2006 Nissan Murano

2004 SE, loaded, clean title, 85k miles, $11,780. 2004 Used Nissan Murano SE LEATHER MOONROOF ONE OWNER at Lexdan Automotive of Maplewood, MN, IID 9761603

Can I get some tips on buying these things used? Thoughts on the salvage title vehicle? It seems like it was re-done nicely. Will have to check it out in person.

Does anyone have anything to say about these vehicles in comparison to a Ford Edge?

thanks for any help! I came here looking for honest answers vs. salesmen B.S.

-Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Luke-

Keep an eye out for oil leaks where the transmission joins to the engine, and the front axle output shafts. Those seals are prone to failure.

The good news... the CVT is covered by a 10-year/120,000-mile warranty.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM

That's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear about! I appreciate it njjoe.

I'm assuming the warranty doesn't cover those seals, though. I'll definitely crawl under and check them out.
#4 Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
I'm assuming the warranty doesn't cover those seals, though.
Yes... and no.

If you go to the dealer and report the leaking seals, the cost of replacing the seals is on you.

However, if you do not report the leaking seals and the CVT fails due to seal failure the CVT warranty kicks in.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#5 Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We have 2 Nissan dealerships here in Albuquerque. Reliable Nissan and Melloy Nissan.

Reliable Nissan said they would not warranty the CVT axle seals, but Melloy Nissan did. Just depends on the dealership I guess and how they interpret the wording in the warranty description.

Some other things to watch out for is noises. Listen for any odd noises like the motor sounding like an old diesel motor or other repetitive grinding noises, squeaks, etc. The MO should be quiet.

Noises that are usually up front, that start as a low level droan in tone that gets higher as you speed up, are usually the front bearing assemblies.

Repetitive noises that occur at start-up or just after you turn off the motor mean the electronic motor mounts are starting to fail.

Listen for excessive clattering on start-up of the motor. Some forum members have had issues with the timing chain auto tensioner.

One more thing, I tend to stay away from the salvage titles. Who knows what the 06 MO went through to get that title. The 06's were a bit nicer than the 04's on the trim levels, but almost 100% identical for the drivetrain. I'd need to know what the accident entailed and 100% proof that everything was completely repaired on the 06 MO before I'd buy it. I'd need reports on how straight the chassis is, alignment report, emissions, AC check, PS check, etc, etc, etc. And after I did I'd look into getting the salvage title removed.

Good luck!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#6 Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Seriously guys - I appreciate it. All good stuff. I have a 2012 Frontier... so I'm kind-of in with the local Nissan dealership. I'd hope they would help me out.

The '06 is a "prior salvage title". Everything was fixed professionally and re-approved. All I know is that it was a passenger side hit. I will have to really check it over. I do like the trim package better. My bro-in-law who is a major car guy said to take the 06 through a pressure car wash to make sure everything is sealed properly. Could be a good deal if it were fixed properly. We won't be selling it soon - so i'm not worried about the repercussions of trying to sell with a prior salvage title. It won't be worth much anyways by the time we're done with it.

The '04 is less miles... but also two years older and more expensive.

Decisions, decisions....
#7 Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Does anyone have anything to say about these vehicles in comparison to a Ford Edge?
I've never owned a ford or any car assembled in the US - one of the reasons I picked my 04 SE Mo back in Oct. 2004. The made in Japan or Germany labels are always pluses to me. Now at 105K miles, mine has easily been the best car I've ever owned.

Another advantage to the SE models - unfortunately no longer made - is their superior suspension and firmer ride. Though at 85K, the 04 you're looking at could be needing struts soon anyways (my front struts went at a little over 100K).

The biggest watch-out I'd have with used Mos, is that they've been driven as SUV's (or, worse yet, trucks), which some owners mistakenly treat them as. Remember, they are merely modified Altimas.
#8 Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Sounds good. So it sounds like the suspension is better on the 04.

Any other major design changes I should be aware of?
#9 Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds good. So it sounds like the suspension is better on the 04.
Not necessarily better, and not because it's an 04. But the suspensions on SE models - no longer available on Mos or some other nissans as well - are slightly firmer and provide a ride most car enthusiasts prefer over softer, mushier rides.
#10 Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM

There are NO warranties on anything on a salvaged car. You will be on your own on everything.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#11 Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

z-

Out of curiosity, how would the dealer know it was a salvage title? I cannot remember, but does a first-time customer have to show a registration when they bring a car in for service?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#12 Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
z-

Out of curiosity, how would the dealer know it was a salvage title? I cannot remember, but does a first-time customer have to show a registration when they bring a car in for service?

-njjoe
Wouldn't they know this as soon as they put the VIN number into their computer for the servicing at the dealer? I would think this would show up immediately.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#13 Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM

It's a non issue gents. We went to the dealer that had the black one... It was a piece of junk. But.... They had a silver 05 that was immaculate for less miles and only $1k more. We got that one! Seems very nice.

Engine is maybe kinda loud when you accelerate? Also an odd high pitched noise idling in the cab. Maybe a fan. I'm going to bring it to my Nissan dealership to inspect it while its still under the other dealerships warranty.

Thanks for the help!
#14 Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Two words: Good Luck.

Former owner of ~~~~> Black O3 SE AWD

#15 Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Getting all of those little things fixed while it's under the warranty is key. Good job!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: