Nissan Murano Forum banner

Leaking coolant but can't find from where

33K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Hello all.

Last week I noticed the coolant reservoir was empty. I didn't think much of it and just refilled it. Yesterday I was smelling that sweet coolant odor coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and noticed the reservoir was empty again. I also noticed coolant splashed all over the radiator fan and around that area. I could also see coolant on the top of the radiator, where the plastic part, I think its called upper tank, and the metal part of the radiator meet. I could not pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from. I checked all hoses and all look to be ok. Clamps also ok. No tears or rips. I am completely lost here as to where the leak is coming from.

Anybody have an idea where the leak could be? Anybody else experience the same and if so, what was the problem?

Thank you all.

#2 ·
Forgot to add, at no point has the Murano overheated. I read some where that if a car overheats it can end up cracking the radiator.

#4 ·
I second that - after I replaced my radiator the leaking quit.

If you clean up the radiator, let it dry overnight, and then fire up the suv while observing the radiator from the bottom you'll see where the leak is coming from. In my case it was the top plastic/metal seam leaking under operational pressure.

Here's the one I purchased - about the best value for your money - for a 2007 model.

#6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

Ordering the new radiator to replace it next weekend. Should I also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses? They appear to be fine but since I'm already doing this repair was thinking it would be a good idea. Same for thermostat, should I replace it as well? Really don't want to have to deal with any of this again.

And yes, vehicle is gettintg old. It's got about 119k miles. Would really like to keep it until summer of next year. Planning to move to FL and will be getting something new when that time comes. Until then, I want to keep it going good.

Seems that with everything I've already had to replace on this vehicle I don't think there's much more that can go bad. At least I hope nothing else goes bad.

#7 ·
Replaced radiator this past Saturday. Went pretty smooth. Had to remove the battery and battery tray in order to get enough clearance to get the radiator fan out of the way and then the radiator.

The old radiator had two hair line cracks on the upper tank and this is where the coolant was slowly leaking out of.

Didn't replace anything else except the radiator. Kept the original upper/lower hoses, thermostat, and hoses connecting tranny lines to radiator bottom tank.

Refilled new radiator with about 1.5 gallons of 50/50 premixed Prestone coolant. Topped off coolant tank and so far so good. Temperature gauge stayed steady at the half way mark.

#9 ·
Yeah. Got the radiator from RockAuto for $90. About 3 hrs to complete. Can't beat it.

It's crazy how much the dealer would charge for the same work. Just for the radiator they wanted almost $500. I like to find out how much the dealership would charge for the repairs I do myself. In a way it makes me feel good knowing how much I'm saving in doing the work myself.

#21 ·
Yeah. Got the radiator from RockAuto for $90. About 3 hrs to complete. Can't beat it.

It's crazy how much the dealer would charge for the same work. Just for the radiator they wanted almost $500. I like to find out how much the dealership would charge for the repairs I do myself. In a way it makes me feel good knowing how much I'm saving in doing the work myself.

I am going through that same situation with my 2010 Murano. The dealership wants $700 plus to do the job but I will not pay that much. Wish I could do it myself but I'm a female. I searched around until I found someone to do it for $455 plus tax. I don't want to put out that much but I don't have a choice. Another place wanted to charge me $658 and I felt that was too much also. Yet another said right at $500. I'm getting it repaired on 11/25/19. Glad I read this it was enlightening.... thanks all!

#11 ·
Guess what, smog check guy informed me about my new radiator leak just now. Must have happen just when I was driving to them. Did a roundtrip Vegas to LA last friday to pick up my daughters new to her car. (2014 Hyundai Elantra SE) No leak then. Car was in the garage this morning, did not smell coolant. What a coincidence. But I guess it could happen. Its coming from the top seam. Oh well, I guess round 2 for me in removing them fans.

I'll check out rockauto. Which one did you get? And what warranty do they have for it?

#12 ·
Sorry to hear that.

I went with the DENSO 2213412. I think it comes with 12 months warranty.

#15 ·
I was very surprised this happened to my murano. Quite frankly I've never had to replace the radiator on any vehicle I've owned before.

Also have a 2000 Toyota Celica with 90k miles and runs great. Regular oil changes and that's it. One or two batteries here and there. But that's about it. Haven't had any issues with it.

Meanwhile on the MO, you can see the list of what I've replaced so far on my signature.

#16 ·
Did you replace the top left and right radiator mounting rubber bushing. The one that is held by the plastic U bracket? nissan part number 21506-4M400. Mine is all falling apart -center part all gone. Probably partly why it leaked. The radiator maybe moving more than it should since there is a big hole in there and not holding the radiator snug as it should.

I am also thinking of not bothering getting the foam padding that surrounds the radiator. The driver side is still there. But the rest is all gone. Maybe just use the house insulation one instead.

On the positive side, its actually much easier to remove the MO radiator than the odyssey.

The '99 odyssey original radiator failed at 173K. Back in 2012.

#17 ·
I did not replace the rubber mountings. I should have as they are completely done and the center piece is ripped.

I have to order the new ones and replace them. Don't want this $5 part to have an impact on the new radiator being damaged from too much vibration or movement.

Found them here for $4.70 each.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/oe-nissan/215064m400

#19 ·
The radiator I ordered from ebay arrived this afternoon and installed it earlier. I got this one with lifetime warranty. New Radiator for Nissan Murano 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 3 5 V6 Lifetime Warranty | eBay I saw only 3 with lifetime and decided on this one.

Everything lined up and there was no leaks after I had the car running for about half hour. Fans went on and off as it should. Both fans went on when I turned the AC on. All looks good. Will see tomorrow once it gets driven in our 110 degree weather. But I think its gonna work out just fine. I did not replace any of the hoses which still looked good. Nor the stat. Did not even bother to check it. Did put a fresh mix of prestone coolant concentrate. Oh yeah, changed the top mounting rubber bushing also. Its actually a very soft, thin rubber, I can see how its not gonna last. Will keep an eye on it yearly. Got it from these guys....http://www.ebay.com/itm/182145612386?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hopefully, this radiator will last for a while. It looks popular enough it maybe ok. If not, at least they will send me a new one for free.

#20 ·
Glad it worked out for you as well.

I ordered the new radiator upper rubber bushings from RockAuto. They are usually my #1 go to place.

I'll replace them when they arrive in a few days. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to pop out the old ones and install the new ones.

Weather has been horrible around me too. Felt like 106 today. Glad I replaced the radiator when I did. Although it never got to the point where the MO was overheating or anything. But last thing I want is the wife driving it and it overheats on her or the AC stops working in this crazy heat wave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.