User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
90k mile 05 murano help please ASAP

Hi,
We own a 05 murano with 90k miles. It has been losing power lately while driving at various speeds and various temperatures. The radio and lights are perfectly fine when this happens, however it will lose power (engine) for a split second and then be fine. Speed and rpms are effected by this. You think the car will die, but then it drives perfectly fine. This has been happening more often lately. Does this sound like the tranny is going? I bought this used three years ago with a warranty. I know Nissan has a tranny warranty until 125k, but if it is something else, I'm curious if my warranty will cover it. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer for Jan 21. It might not even do it when they test drive it! Who knows?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Start with the alternator and battery check. If you have hesitation try some fuel system cleaner couple of half tanks in a row. Also check the intake duct connections - hose clamps for looseness.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Something momentary like that is probably not mechanical (transmission), it's either electrical or fuel. My money is on an electrical problem, like the injectors losing power.

I think you should have the car checked for codes even if the check engine light isn't on. I always use this logic: ask yourself what is the SIMPLEST thing that could cause the problem, and check that first.

Therefore, I like the battery idea. I also suggest you make sure the battery is in good condition - the Murano is extremely sensitive to batteries that are marginal - it causes all kinds of weird problems.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions. I will run a scan now to see if I get any codes!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

No codes! Wouldn't battery and alternator issues affect power as far as lights and radio?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Something momentary like that is probably not mechanical (transmission), it's either electrical or fuel. My money is on an electrical problem, like the injectors losing power.

I think you should have the car checked for codes even if the check engine light isn't on. I always use this logic: ask yourself what is the SIMPLEST thing that could cause the problem, and check that first.

Therefore, I like the battery idea. I also suggest you make sure the battery is in good condition - the Murano is extremely sensitive to batteries that are marginal - it causes all kinds of weird problems.
Right on the money. Our '05 MO had very strange dashboard actions - gauges would go to zero then back fully the other way. Dealer had it for two full days (I only paid for one hour) and found nothing wrong. Just for kicks I replaced the battery - all issues went away. If your battery is oder than 3 years, get a new one.

John Mc
'05 Black Murano
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Battery is about two years old only. Mmmm. Maybe I'll change that anyway?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
If you have a battery charger (every garage should contain one) charge the battery fully overnight, and see if it happens while the battery is at full charge. If not, you have a strong clue.

To check your alternator, you can put a digital voltmeter between the battery terminals right after starting../you should see 14V while it's running. The Murano may not run at 14V when the battery is at full charge, but right after starting it should be putting out full voltage to re-charge from starting. This would be a good thing to do before charging the battery overnight.

Also - while at rest, the battery should show more than 12V with the multimeter. Below 12V means inadequate charge.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: