2005 Nissan Murano Catalytic converter - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 Nissan Murano Catalytic converter

Hello! I need help in deciding if I should go with replacing my catalytic converter with an aftermarket brand (Walker) or an Oem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
What mileage and is it rusted out? Why do you think you need to replace it? Is your car burning oil alot? Coolant in the engine? These are some reasons for a premature CAT failure.

I would do aftermarket usually. However, I have a '99 Odyssey with 177K still has its original CAT. Not much rust in Las Vegas. And its been well maintained. Good luck.
#3 Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM

I have 129,423 miles. First I received that P0420 code at Advance Auto. My uncle who is a mechanic got the same code. Nissan checked it out and said that my catalytic converter has a leak and the exhaust manifold is cracked. all on the Bank 1 side, which I am told is my right side or passenger side. My car does not seem to be eating a lot of gas.
#4 Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM

I got the same code P0420 and my car smells of gas along with a lot of noise when it accelerates. So I can probably say it is my catalytic converter that needs to be replace just hoping it doesn't eat my wallet too much.
#5 Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Newb to the forum, and relatively new to Nissans, but am a regular in the VW/Audi community.

Sounds like an exhaust leak pre-cat. If you know the manifold is cracked, then you found your leak. Replace that or plug the leak; (JB weld would be good enough for a temporary fix) put a new gasket on, clear the codes and see if the code comes back. If it does, you have it narrowed to an 02 sensor or a clogged cat.

The code quotes "below efficiency," which means the sensor is not reading optimum flow-through, or the gas coming out is still dirty.

If your Cat needs replacing, you need to ask why. As long as it isn't rusted out they should last the life of the vehicle. A bad cat is a symptom of other issues.

Just replacing the cat is like using nasal spray to clear your nose. You'll breathe easier for a little while, but you're still sick, and the snot will be back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: