Bose factory stereo went out, started smoking, now works?? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bose factory stereo went out, started smoking, now works??

Hi everyone,

This is a great forum. I did tons of research here before making a purchase that helped us find exactly what we were looking for - a 2007 Murano SL. It's been great so far.

Before I go and seek out help from a dealer or car audio place I figured this was the best place to start.

We've never had any problems with the stereo before at all. The only thing I've done to it is installed the USA Spec iPod interface from Crutchfield about a year ago and it's worked perfectly since.

Today I was driving thru my work parking lot over a few speed bumps (slowly..) and the stereo (FM radio was playing) went out abruptly as I went over a bump. Right after I got the burnt electronic smell followed by smoke coming out of the CD changer!

The display screen (I have non-navigation) still worked, as well as the iPod connector (it charges the phone but doesn't play anything). I shut off the car and went inside to start looking at what could have possibly happened.

So I gave it about an hour and went back out to the car to see what would work - to my amazement everything worked fine!! AM/FM stereo stations, AC controls, everything...

I'm completely baffled. I thought the whole unit was fried, but apparently it's working just fine.

I read a couple other threads on a similar issue but wanted to see if there were any potential issues with replacing the stereo and the same problem happening again due to a bad ground or something.

Before I just brush it off as being all in my imagination, is there anything I can inspect/check wiring-wise to make sure everything is in order and didn't get jarred loose when I hit the bump? Should I check any ground wires either on the amp or behind the stereo unit?

Thanks in advance
MR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There are situations where power line coupling capacitors will short out and burn themselves apart. Then after they're registering as an open in the circuit the rest of the system will work appropriately.

This is electrical engineering speak for stating something burned up but won't affect the performance of the system.

I'd just keep an eye on it. If it works then keep playing it until it shuts down.

If you take it to a Nissan dealership, they'll troubleshoot it and tell you nothing is wrong.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#3 Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM

Well, spoke too soon. It worked for a minute again when I drove home then crackled and went out again. Plugged an iPhone in and it worked again for about 5 minutes, then went out. All the knobs, lights, and A/C unit controls work fine the whole time. While driving, it would crackle and come back on for a second or two, but then stop.

Is something like this reparable? Or should I cut my losses and pick up a new stereo unit on eBay? Could it be a fuse or anything?

Thanks for the help.
#4 Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 AM

Try it while you are stopped to eliminate bumps, and therefore a loose internal cable, as the cause.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#5 Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Still no luck - Tried it while stopped and the radio is not working at this point. All the other controls (A/C, etc) are fine.

So it seems my options are:

A) try to have the stereo fixed (if anyone knows a place it would be helpful!)
B) get a new/used one on ebay (or someplace else - any suggestions welcome)

Anything else I might be missing? Thanks.
#6 Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 AM

There is (was) an outfit that several members used to repair their HU for less than $200 but I just cannot recall it at this time. If you do a search in the audio or problems thread you might find it.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#7 Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM

If I were to get a replacement unit, is it possible to just replace the stereo/CD changer section and not the entire HU piece w/ all the A/C controls? Or does it all just come as one unit that has to be replaced. I called one salvage place and they said they had just the radio itself, but that didn't sound right.
#8 Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
There is (was) an outfit that several members used to repair their HU for less than $200 but I just cannot recall it at this time. If you do a search in the audio or problems thread you might find it.

Yes, it was called Audio & Video Service Stop, but unfortunately it looks like they were sold to another outfit and no longer offer the same services. Their old link is now a dead-end: http://www.videoservicestop.com/

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: