2nd thoughts on my 05 murano - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2nd thoughts on my 05 murano

I just recently bought a used 05 murano SL FWD which has 115800K for 8700 after taxes to replace my small coupe for using in the winters and family trips. when I first bought the car I thought the balance were off on the car tires even though the tires looked brand new and just shook it off thinking if I purchase the car I can just do a full re-balance/rotated. well today I took it to walmart for a full balance and rotation and steering wheel still wiggles/shake a little compare to before when going 70-80MPH. maybe alignment?.. IDK?.. will I regret this purchase? I don't want to throw 9grand away even though I took a chance on the CVTransmission that i be hearing people complaining about breaking down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM

My wifes Murano did the same thing. I originally thought it was the brake rotors. Had the rotors turned when I put new brakes on. Thought it might be the tires out of balance. Had tires balanced and still had the problem. Those tires finally wore out and had new tires installed and found out the inner lip of one of the wheels is slightly bent. Cant even see its bent when looking at it. Put it on the balancing machine and you can see the wheel dip slightly as it spins.. I have found a local shop that can fix bent wheels but havnt had a chance to take it.. Might be something worth looking in to..
#3 Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Some shops balance them using weight that clips on the lip of the wheel. A Nissan dealership told me that these large wheels must be balanced with sticking weight inside and about in the middle of the wheels in order to be efficient.

Make sure this is what you got.

Like Joshua said, a first step would be to check for a bent wheel. Switch the front and the rear for a test.
#4 Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM

its so cold right now I don't even have time to check anything. I really hope its just something simple... the murano is a real nice to drive so I hope it doesn't put me down.
#5 Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacken View Post
its so cold right now I don't even have time to check anything. I really hope its just something simple... the murano is a real nice to drive so I hope it doesn't put me down.
It seems like buying a used Murano is like a game of poker, you do not know what kind of a hand you will be dealt until you play. I hope your 05' turn out to be a good deal and the problem is small and cheap to fix.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#6 Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
If your MO has new tires on, my bet is that it still needs to be balanced. Large tires like the ones on the MO cannot be properly balanced on equipment found in Walmart or non-specialty shops. Call around and see which tire shop or dealer has a "Road Force" balance machine. That should take care of the balancing issue.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#7 Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy75 View Post
It seems like buying a used Murano is like a game of poker, you do not know what kind of a hand you will be dealt until you play. I hope your 05' turn out to be a good deal and the problem is small and cheap to fix.
true. I can say that goes for all cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
If your MO has new tires on, my bet is that it still needs to be balanced. Large tires like the ones on the MO cannot be properly balanced on equipment found in Walmart or non-specialty shops. Call around and see which tire shop or dealer has a "Road Force" balance machine. That should take care of the balancing issue.
since ill be taking the car in for alignment this saturday at tires plus...maybe ill ask them that.
#8 Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Things that will also cause a shimmy will be the lower control arms, tie rods, or front struts. Check that those are okay as well.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#9 Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Any spin balancer should do an adequate job of balancing the tires, provided it's operated by someone who knows what they're doing. (<Note qualifier in previous statement.)

I agree with Warhammer: if shimmy continues, control arms, tie rods and front struts are frequent culprits. Many members here have noted worn tie rods and lower control arms.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#10 Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Things that will also cause a shimmy will be the lower control arms, tie rods, or front struts. Check that those are okay as well.
Yup LCA's caused the issue on my Mo.

#11 Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Make sure the tire pressure is even at all 4 corners, and put the best balanced tires up front. This type of issue is very common among AWD vehicles. I've owned subarus, Audis, and now a Murano that had the same issue; a consistent shake mostly through the steering wheel over a 5-10mph range (mine's around 55-62). good quality wheels and tires, well balanced with maintained even inflation usually keeps this in check, unless you have a bigger issue (see above posts). Oh, and even if they are good tires, if one has more wear than the others, expect a shake.
#12 Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 AM

Tie rods are good... i suspect one of the reasons is bad wheel bearing too..
#13 Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 AM

Anyways the cars engine sounds a lot quieter and smoother with new nissan cvt fluid and mobil one oil change but sadly the retarted noise is still there until i get both bearings replaced and see how it goes from there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: