Hello all, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this forum.
I've been struggling over the past few days to make a decision on whether to trade my 2005 Murano SL, and am wondering what others' thoughts are on keeping vs. trading a high-mileage Murano. I have read the threads below, but this is a bit of a different decision from BUYING a high-mileage Muarano in that we know the maintenance and repair history here.
Should i buy 2004 Murano with 60000 miles on it ?
Used 2003 Murano... 117,000 KM'S.. should I buy?
Looking to buy used need some info.
$3596 to replace 03 murano transfer case.
Short background: I bought the '05 in 2008 with just 17,000 miles on it. I really, really like everything about the vehicle, it still drives great and looks great. That said, on Friday I had to have it towed for the third time this year, and it has got me thinking that at 101k miles it has passed the tipping point of reliability vs. cost. I paid it off two years ago so have zero car payments now which is nice.
The events causing it to be towed were relatively minor, first the alternator went out around 90k miles, and I had it towed to the shop for a next-day replacement. The replacement part was defective and went out two weeks later, so I had it towed again to the same shop and they replaced it for free. And then Friday the entire electrical system went dead when I tried to start it in the grocery store parking lot. Turned out to be a simple repair of a bad connection where a battery cable connects to the main electrical system, the shop just charged me a $70 diagnostic fee.
Still, I have spent a lot on repairs over the past two years. Over the course of several trips to the shop, I replaced a high pressure power steering line and both front struts plus had all of the drive belts replaced, then later the water pump went out, and then the alternator. I also put a new set of very good tires on it around 10k miles ago. In total I've spent around $3,500 on repairs plus around $900 on tires over the past two years.
I have not changed the CVT fluid yet, but know I need to, especially since it probably got hot when the water pump went out. And Friday after performing the minor repair, the shop informed me that it needs two engine mounts replaced at a total repair cost of around $1,100.
I'm doing the math and also weighing whether I can afford both the disruption of decreased reliability and the increased maintenance cost. And all the while I know that a $5,000 CVT replacement is hovering out there somewhere down the road.
I've been online looking at both new and certified pre-owned Rogues and Muranos. The modest cost difference between a new 2012s/2013s and certified pre-owned 2010s have me leaning toward new. I have not test-driven the Rogue, but my wife drives a Honda CRV and I kind of think that the Rogue might be too small and bouncy for me, although it has all of my preferred features. So really the decision is whether to keep my 2005 (which I still like a lot), or trade it for a new Murano now, before more expensive repairs are needed and before the CVT goes kaput, vs. keeping it and hopefully get another 3 years or more out of it. KBB puts its value at around $8,000 at trade-in. I can afford the payments if I trade for a new one, but on the other hand honestly I can endure a bit of disruption of time in the shop (we are a three-vehicle family). I'm just trying to make a final assessment of what will probably happen over the next three years if I keep it.
Has anyone else here either done some planning or made the decision to "keep it til it dies" on their Murano after driving it themselves past the 100k mark? And.....how is the decision panning out?