Help? I messed up. - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Red face Help? I messed up.

While changing out the struts on my 05 Murano SL, I accidentally pulled the driver side axle clean out of the tranny. Sigh, I know very stupid. Anyways, was able to get it back in but lost maybe 2 cups max of tranny fluid but also pulled the inner boot free and lost a lot of the grease out of the boot. I know I need to get the boot repaired and probably a new drivers side axle/trans body main seal as well as top off the CVT fluid with the Nissan fluid.

The questions I have are:
1. If I don't drive to far, to a repair shop, do you think I will do any further damage?
2. Anticipated cost and time for repairs?
3. Anything else I may have overlooked?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Have you completed the struts replacement? Don't risk driving with less fluid on your cvt. But if you insist, get it towed to a shop will be your better bet....use/call AAA if you have it. Why even bother driving it to a shop anyway? You are already in there. Just get the axle seal (<$10), nissan ns2 cvt fluid ($12 - $20 / quart) - get 2 quarts and either a new axle or a boot repair kit (<$50). Buying online is cheaper but if you need the car by Monday then you got to eat it and buy from napa or autzone - but nissan parts is closed on Sunday from what I remember. So, you're still without a car atleast till Monday. Pull the old axle out. If there was no issues with the axle, the boot change would be a little more economical and you will use the original axle which is always a good thing. But a replacement aftermarket axle only cost <100, I think, and way more convenient than swapping out the boot and cleaning out the grease - you will need a strapping tool to get it tight. In your case, I would go with the boot swap. I usually go for the axle swap when the boot rips normally and the cv joint starts to make some noise. Never grab from the boot. Either the cv joint housing or the axle itself. Good luck.
#3 Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
Have you completed the struts replacement? Don't risk driving with 2 quarts less on your cvt. Why even bother driving it to a shop anyway? You are already in there. Just get the axle seal, nissan ns2 cvt fluid - 2 quarts altleast and either a new axle or a boot repair kit. Buying online is cheaper but if you need the car by Monday then you got to eat it and buy from napa or autzone - but nissan parts is closed on Sunday from what I remember. So, you're still without car atleast till Monday. Pull the old axle out. If there was no issues with the axle, the boot change would be a little more economical and you will use the original axle which is always a good thing. But a replacement aftermarket axle only cost <100, I think, and way more convenient than swapping out the boot and cleaning out the grease. In you case, I would go with the boot swap. I usually go for the axle swap when the boot rips normally and the cv joint starts to make some noise. Good luck.
I have never done a boot repair, the main seal repair looks fairly simple as long as I am careful putting the new seal in. OBTW, I am only 1 pint down not two quarts so I should be okay there?

Thanks for the input.
#4 Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You can always get an aftemarket axle and fix the original later on.
Eventually the boot on the aftermarket will also go if you plan to keep the car long enough. Not that difficult. If you can change your struts you can do the boot.
#5 Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByByBMW View Post
I have never done a boot repair, the main seal repair looks fairly simple as long as I am careful putting the new seal in. OBTW, I am only 1 pint down not two quarts so I should be okay there?

Thanks for the input.
The CVT's fluid capacity is 10-3/4 quarts. One pint low is negligible.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#6 Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
The CVT's fluid capacity is 10-3/4 quarts. One pint low is negligible.

-njjoe
Thanks njjoe, that really helps especially coming from you.
For anyone else following this, I am going to have a shop do the repair basically because I would need to buy a couple more tools, that would then lay in my tool chest unused for years. Also, having bad knees and a touchy back, me thinks, after the strut replacement yesterday, that I will find a local shop to complete this because I am a little sore today and I think it will just be better for me.
Thanks to those that responded. I will update this thread with final costs after all is done.
#7 Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByByBMW View Post
Thanks njjoe, that really helps especially coming from you.
For anyone else following this, I am going to have a shop do the repair basically because I would need to buy a couple more tools, that would then lay in my tool chest unused for years. Also, having bad knees and a touchy back, me thinks, after the strut replacement yesterday, that I will find a local shop to complete this because I am a little sore today and I think it will just be better for me.
Thanks to those that responded. I will update this thread with final costs after all is done.
For what it is worth, I think that you are doing the best thing by stopping the repairs and towing it to a mechanic to correctly finish the job. The CVT is something you do not want to f-ck up. Hell, any transmission is expensive but the CVT is very expensive. Around 6k installed expensive. So I commend you for using common sense in this situation.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#8 Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM

Okay, things went from bad to worse. Both CV joint boots on both sides were split, and the front engine mount, the expensive one that has electrical components was also torn. So, $1100 bucks later, all is fixed. The electrical engine mount I probably could not have done and having the boots repaired was necessary, and again, not sure I wanted to tackle it. Parts was about 1/3 the cost, labor the rest.

Sorry but I am a little surprised at this. Considering how well the Mo has been up to now, having all this go bad at once put a bad taste in our mouth and we are going to trade it in.
#9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
It's always been my opinion that once you get a car fixed up and have spent $$$$, it's the wrong time to trade. You are basically going to take the loss on repairs. I'd probably run it for at least another year then trade it or sell it outright. To me that makes more sense monetarily.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#10 Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
It's always been my opinion that once you get a car fixed up and have spent $$$$, it's the wrong time to trade. You are basically going to take the loss on repairs. I'd probably run it for at least another year then trade it or sell it outright. To me that makes more sense monetarily.
I agree, but each circumstance we all face is different. It was time, for us.
#11 Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
It's always been my opinion that once you get a car fixed up and have spent $$$$, it's the wrong time to trade.
Sort of like getting out of the stock market at the height of a recession (ie when repubs are in control) and jumping in during a bull market (ie when dems are in charge). Both are almost always the wrong thing to do investment wise.
#12 Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I will also admit this is why I quit trying to repair my own vehicles (I'm not sure I actually succeeded on any of these attempts). After I had messed up a few repairs and had to pay to get it done correctly, I learned I'm just not skilled mechanically to the point that auto repairs are something I should attempt. I've tried to find reputable repair shops to take care of my vehicles.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#13 Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I will also admit this is why I quit trying to repair my own vehicles (I'm not sure I actually succeeded on any of these attempts). After I had messed up a few repairs and had to pay to get it done correctly, I learned I'm just not skilled mechanically to the point that auto repairs are something I should attempt. I've tried to find reputable repair shops to take care of my vehicles.
HaHa! I am a big DIYer, but I always tell people that it is not for everybody. I had a coworker who did more harm than good when he tried to do anything himself and always complain about paying someone to fix his messes until he came to the same conclusion as you. I can do any job around the house except for painting and woodwork. Therefore, all the money I save by fixing the cars and AC units goes to a handy man to fix the wood and paint related problems on the house.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread