A dealer and extended warranty success story. - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A dealer and extended warranty success story.

So I have a 06' Murano S I bought used almost exactly 3 years ago. When I bought her she had 18k miles. I had quite an internal argument about whether or not to purchase the 5 year 60k mile extended warranty for $1800 mostly because I am quite handy and usually do my own mechanical work. Well for whatever reason at the time I decided to go for it and fork out the cash. Fast forward 3 years and 50k ish miles no major problems to date, biggest failure was the famous exhaust leak on the rear flange that I welded up myself.

Well the lack of problems ended last week. I had noticed a rough ride on the front end, and chalked it up to 68k miles on the struts it didn't even occur to me the dealer would do anything about it. Then a few days ago I started getting some major vibration/ growl like sound on the passenger side front end. So I did like any of you would and took it in to the dealer.

Dealer had my car for most of the day, and when I called up to inquire about what they found they informed me they will be replacing the front struts, lower control arms, and wheel bearings. All under warranty, I will only have a $50 deductible. Oh they gave me a 13' Altama for the day too (and I hate to admit it but I like it )

Anyway I'll report back when I pick it up today to let you all know how she handles now. I went into this thinking I was going to get jerked around by the deal and I can gladly say that was not the case at all. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We should highlight this post so the next time someone is sitting on the fence about buying an extended warranty he can read you tale.

(However, for every person like you who took advantage of their warranty, there is someone who will tell you they never used theirs. You can't win. )

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Extended warranties are always a crap shoot, but when a problem like this occurs, they suddenly become worth it. So each person has to decide for themselves.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#4 Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Well, let's face it - extended warranties are an insurance policy. The outfit issuing the policy is betting that the vehicle will be durable and reliable enough that the cost of repairs will be less than the premium charged. You are actually betting that the vehicle will fail often enough that the cost of repairs will exceed the cost of the policy. Essentially, you're betting against the car you just bought.

The thing one must keep in mind is that the party issuing the policy has a lot more information than you do. However, people buy extended warranties for many reasons other than the simple cost equation. They also buy them for peace of mind, reduction of inconvenience, priority of vehicle use, and other reasons.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. This thread was not meant to start a discussion on whether or not an extended warranty is a good choice for you. My rational was I'll be covered until 78k miles, something is bound to go wrong by then . And as pilgrim perfectly put its an insurance policy. This thread was created more to share my story, and the excellent customer service I received by a dun dun dun dealer. I fully expected to get the run around through this entire process. But not even once did someone even give me the smallest feeling they weren't doing everything in their power to fix the issue I had with my vehicle. I was amazed again when they provided me a loaner car for the day. Will I buy an extended warranty on future purchases? Just like last time I'll have to weigh the options. I will tell you that when the warranty on this murano expires I will inquire about extending it once again though.'

Also, I was a little surprised to have all those parts fail at "only" 68k miles.
#6 Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was this a Nissan warranty or another companies offering?

Oh, be assured the dealership was reimbursed for that loaner car they loaned you.

eeeee
#7 Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM

You can read all my posts regarding extended warranty, and how much my car has used of the Nissan warranty. I estimate that warranty has paid out atleast $12,000 easily, since the last trip to the dealer she spent 5 weeks there, and i had a loaner for that long. Include all the other trips that would easily be over 10K.

I paid $2050 for the 8 year 120K mile warranty, currently have 95K on it.

Oh and its going back in a couple weeks, the A/C does not work at all, just blows out hot air, we had a couple warm days in Dallas so i tried to use the A/C unit. Could be freon, or a bad compressor or a leak somewhere.
#8 Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM

*Update*

Got the car back after work last night. Handles great definitely stiffened up the front end. Here's the kicker: Because during diagnostics it was only found that one wheel bearing and one strut had failed, they only replaced one each . Better still they didn't replace the torn to shreds dust cover on the strut they replaced because it "wasn't covered". That's fine... but I couldn't believe they wouldn't ask me if I wanted to pay for a $20 dust cover and have them install it while the strut was off. Ridiculous. Now I have to decide if I want to replace the other strut and wheel bearing on my own or just wait it out.
#9 Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbdyws6 View Post
*Update*

Got the car back after work last night. Handles great definitely stiffened up the front end. Here's the kicker: Because during diagnostics it was only found that one wheel bearing and one strut had failed, they only replaced one each . Better still they didn't replace the torn to shreds dust cover on the strut they replaced because it "wasn't covered". That's fine... but I couldn't believe they wouldn't ask me if I wanted to pay for a $20 dust cover and have them install it while the strut was off. Ridiculous. Now I have to decide if I want to replace the other strut and wheel bearing on my own or just wait it out.
Did they replace "lower control arms"? I have extended warranty, they told me it's not covered.
#10 Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latour View Post
Did they replace "lower control arms"? I have extended warranty, they told me it's not covered.
My vehicle had a Nissan extended warranty and lower control arms were covered when I had them replaced.
#11 Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Yes both lower control arms were covered in warranty for me. Perhaps you have a different level warranty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: