When is enough, enough? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When is enough, enough?

Some of you may know from my other threads... I got my wife an 05 Murano SL with 77k miles. It has been a major PITA thus far. I've had it for about 50 days now. It has spent more time in the shop than on the road. So far I've had: 5 trips to the selling dealership (small dealership specializing in Japanese imports about a half hour away) and 3 to a local Nissan dealer. Something new seems to crop up just about every week.

For starters, the car seemed fine during the test drive. Drove fine. I decided to take it in to a Nissan tech and have it torn apart & inspected. Cost me $80. They found about $2000 worth of issues:

-HID Ballast
-Both front wheel bearings
-Oil cooler seal

The selling dealership was "nice" enough to fix these. The car seemed okay for a couple weeks except for some sounds that seemed to be getting worse. Engine loud, rattling in rear end, etc. Then one night the car stalled completely in a busy intersection.

The wife and I are extremely upset at this point.

Last night I drop it off at the Nissan dealership again. The culprit of the engine stall is a Camshaft Sensor. $176. Then while diagnosing the sounds they find: the front motor mount is going ($438), one of the cats might be going ($1000, they will have to drop the entire exhaust and bore-scope them), and we have a leaky rear shock ($262).

When is enough, enough? Do we have anywhere to turn? We honestly don't even want the vehicle anymore. The owner of the selling dealership is pretty frustrated with me calling. We are outside their 30-day warranty. I even asked for a return of the vehicle we traded in (which is still on their lot). He didn't even entertain that idea. I don't know what to do. It's just one of those experiences where I don't think i'll ever buy another Nissan or ever buy from a small dealership again.

Myself - 2012 Frontier SV Quad 4x4
Wife - 2005 Murano SL AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Consider going to the selling dealer and talking with the Owner of the dealership if possible. Calmly and in a non-threatening manner ask for his assistance. Let him know you are happy with the dealership but obviously you have issues with the car. Ask him what he thinks a solution is. Hear what he has to offer if anything. He may offer to get you into another car on the lot... of course an upgrade and more $ for you to pay. Yes, more $ but you will walk from the problematic car and throw your $ at a perhaps better / non-problematic car.. Again, calm and non-threatening with the dealer. Remember, you reap what you sow. Save the push / threats til a time when other approaches are exhausted.

Another approach... spend the $ and fix the car. (use a local repair shop, not a Nissan dealership) Get that selling dealership to give you a good price on a warranty that will cover future repairs for x number of years. Could be the dealer will get you that warranty and then you go get the latest repairs under that warranty coverage. You never know what the dealer will come up with.

eeeee
#3 Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
s31-

Right off the bat, I would say do not take your out-of-warranty MO to a Nissan dealer. Instead, find a reputable local shop you can trust. The local shop will be less expensive.

Let's look at what the Nissan dealership claimed... 1) your motor mount is "going"? Going where? It is either good or bad. I would ignore it for now. 2) One of the cats might be going? Who is he kidding? You could end up spending several hundred dollars just to find out it is fine. 3) Leaking rear shock costs $262? I hope that is for the pair... installed. 4) Camshaft sensor? Okay, that is probably legit. I recommend having a local shop replace the camshaft sensor and then see how the MO runs. If no other error codes appear then I would forget about the cats, and have a local shop replace check out the shocks. Rear shocks for the MO cost $25 each.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM

That's all normal stuff for a car with 80,000 miles. It's also normal crap from a dealer. njjoe brings you wisdom.
#5 Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
Consider going to the selling dealer and talking with the Owner of the dealership if possible. Calmly and in a non-threatening manner ask for his assistance. Let him know you are happy with the dealership but obviously you have issues with the car. Ask him what he thinks a solution is. Hear what he has to offer if anything. He may offer to get you into another car on the lot... of course an upgrade and more $ for you to pay. Yes, more $ but you will walk from the problematic car and throw your $ at a perhaps better / non-problematic car.. Again, calm and non-threatening with the dealer. Remember, you reap what you sow. Save the push / threats til a time when other approaches are exhausted.

Another approach... spend the $ and fix the car. Get that selling dealership to give you a good price on a warranty that will cover future repairs for x number of years. Could be the dealer will get you that warranty and then you go get the latest repairs under that warranty coverage. You never know what the dealer will come up with.

Good ideas Bill. I plan to have a face to face meeting with the owner and see what he'll say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
s31-

Right off the bat, I would say do not take your out-of-warranty MO to a Nissan dealer. Instead, find a reputable local shop you can trust. The local shop will be less expensive.

Let's look at what the Nissan dealership claimed... 1) your motor mount is "going"? Going where? It is either good or bad. I would ignore it for now. 2) One of the cats might be going? Who is he kidding? You could end up spending several hundred dollars just to find out it is fine. 3) Leaking rear shock costs $262? I hope that is for the pair... installed. 4) Camshaft sensor? Okay, that is probably legit. I recommend having a local shop replace the camshaft sensor and then see how the MO runs. If no other error codes appear then I would forget about the cats, and have a local shop replace check out the shocks. Rear shocks for the MO cost $25 each.

-njjoe
Thanks for the reply Joe. He said the motor mount is flattened and is starting to crack. I already have the Nissan guys doing the sensor... so after this I will look for a good local shop. I think the brother-in-law and I could do the shock pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderich View Post
That's all normal stuff for a car with 80,000 miles. It's also normal crap from a dealer. njjoe brings you wisdom.
Normal stuff for a car with 80k? $4000 of quoted work all sequentially within 50 days? This isn't normal for any vehicle I've ever owned.

#6 Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
HVT

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yeah I've owned 16 Nissans and no, this is not normal stuff for 80k miles. In fact, other than shocks, I've never had to replace any of those items on my Nissans. My sons 06 Altima has 121k miles on it and I've replaced the front flex pipe (warranty too) and that's it.

Nissan LED DRLs
Navigation
Chromed stainless rear bumper protector
Retrofit 4300k HIDs
235/65-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons
iJDMtoy RED LED Bumper reflector lights
#7 Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have to agree with the other owners that say that those problems are not normal for a car with only 80K miles on it. The early year Muranos are a hit or miss to buy used. Yes, some may argue that any used car is a gamble but the Murano is really a crap shoot. The Nissan Murano is far from being the worst car to buy used, but it does warrant a little more caution than buying a used Lexus suv or even Ford suv. Before someone argues about me recommending Ford over Nissan, I am talking about a newer model after 2005 when Ford stepped up their game when it comes to reliablity. I have owned plenty of used cars and have to say that my wife's 2006 Murano have had the most major problems for a car under ten years old compared to any other car that I have owned before. That is fact for my household, but not everyone have had the same issues so I guess it depends on what assembly line your Murano came from and who was on duty at the time when your Murano was assemble to determine if yours will be a lemon or not. If you are unhappy with the Murano sell it and get something that you feel is more reliable.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#8 Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post

Normal stuff for a car with 80k? $4000 of quoted work all sequentially within 50 days? This isn't normal for any vehicle I've ever owned.
Don't be silly. Your dealer is trying to screw you for $4000. Which is normal. A random sensor malfunction here and there or minor shock and bushing work is normal for a car with 80k on it.

You have a $150 sensor and $50 worth of shocks to replace. Maybe you have a motor mount to replace. But since the guy telling you that is also blowing smoke up your rear end about the cat, I'd get a second opinion, or not worry about it at all...

edit: i'm sorry...maybe I was misunderstood. a failed cat and motor mount I wouldn't chock up to normal, but I was baselining off of njjoe's post that most of what the dealer was telling you was BS...
#9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think if you would have bought the car in '05 and maintained it throughout it's 8 year life, none of these things would have been considered normal, and possibly you would have had to deal with a few minor issues along the way. But not knowing the history of the car, you have no way of knowing how it was treated over those 8 years. Seemingly not very well, and things you wouldn't expect to happen for another 40,000 - 50,000 miles are now all happening at once.

Since you have invested the money in the car, I think I would take Joe's advice and attempt to get the items that are an actual problem taken care of by a reputable repair shop. At that point you can then assess where you are at with the car.

I doubt that the dealer is going to give you much, if any, relief on this as you are outside his 30 day warranty period. He did fix the things that were pointed out prior to the sale, so you can't fault him completely although it's got to be rather frustrating.

Good luck and let us know if you make any headway.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#10 Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

I agree with the others on this. The dealers are there to make money...they wanted $600 for my 30k service when NOTHING was wrong! Go to local shop and repair what is needed, and only when needed. I always do this once I am out of the full warranty.

2010 Murano LE w/ AWD, Navigation, Weathertech Floorliners, LED DRLs, SportWing Side Moldings, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Cloud Rider Mesh Grill, NON-beeping liftgate
#11 Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
A motor mount is a part that you can service yourself - from reports here, some of them are more trouble than others.

The bore scope idea is a new one on me. Sounds like a cash extraction procedure, NOT a mechanical process. I guess their argument is that they would run a scope through the exhaust system to see if the converters are plugged.

I would take no action on a cat that "might" be going, but I'd watch it. If I needed one, I dang sure wouldn't pay $1000 for it, I'd have an independent shop put one on for probably half that or or less.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#12 Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys. I think the Nissan dealer is simply taking stabs to fix the sounds I've reported. I don't think they would have suggested the motor mounts or exhaust if I hadn't mentioned that the engine is really loud. They probably wouldn't have noticed the shock if I hadn't said there is a rattling in the rear end sometimes when coasting. He didn't say "you need to fix these things", but rather, "the sound could be this, in which case you'd have to fix this, which costs this..."

I understand cars. I understand things go wrong with them. I understand we bought an 8 year old car with 80k miles. My biggest problem is... even if I keep fixing on it... I still have all these sounds that are un-diagnosed. I will try one more time at the selling dealership to see what they say. From there on, we will have to deal with the sounds until they drive us nuts enough to get a different vehicle.

I certainly am not going to pay $500-1000 to have a shop do my cats if I don't know for sure that is the issue. Their theory is that something might have broken inside one of them to be causing the engine noise.

Yipee

#13 Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
oem rear shocks 125/pair online - held by 3 bolts per side very easy to do

oem camshaft sensor 65 online - held by one small bolt very easy to do

oem front motor mount 160 online - a little tricky but much easier than the rear mount

cheaper if you get aftermarket except for the sensor I would go oem on that

All these are doable at home if you are handy and have some tools and time and will to do it. We can help.

Hold on to the CAT. My 178K odyssey still has its orignal CAT.

Good luck.
#14 Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM

When is enough, enough?

I found an HiD Ballast for 88 dollars on eBay. Sorry to hear you're having all these problems with your murano. I thought it was bad when my seat kept breaking in mine, luckily Nissan of North America got the dealer fix it with the correct seat frame.

http://bit.ly/XzLEWw
#15 Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
It amazes me when people buy 8 year old cars with 80k miles then take them to the dealer and act shocked that repairs are expensive. Yes, dealers charge more than anyone else and cars that age are cash cows for them since they can "suggest" lots of stuff that might need replacing that is probably fine. Does your car absolutely need 4k in work? I really doubt it.

You've got a couple options if you want to continue buying older cars with these kinds of miles.
1. Stop going to the dealer for repairs and find yourself a good reputable private mechanic. Treat him well, only go to him for repairs, and build a good relationship. Having a trusted mechanic is worth his weight in gold if you don't want to work on cars yourself. Which brings me too....
2. Learn to fix some things yourself. With forums like this, readily available service manuals and services like AllData everything you listed could be done with some basic tools and a willingness to get a little dirty.

Or, if you want to get service at the dealer because sitting in a waiting room with wifi, a Kurig coffee bar and a big screen tv gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, buy less car so you can afford something newer with less miles. My used car rule that has served me well is 2-3 years old and never more than 40k miles. Even then I fully expect to be spending some time wrenching on it out in the garage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: