P0345 Hard start VDC light issues - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
P0345 Hard start VDC light issues

Hey everyone, first post, but have read and studies a lot of posts. Great site!

Here is my situation - purchased this 2006 model here in Europe (yes Euro model) in February with 130K miles. Have replaced the standard high pressure power steering hose because of a leak. After about a month (?) after getting it, we started getting a P0420 code. It was winter and someone mentioned that the winter fuel additives that are put in in some places may cause that issue. Kept an eye on it and sure enough it went away in the summer time, only to come back in late summer. I think i need to replace the cat system. Now the P0420 has gone away but I have a new issue.

On a whim I filled up with 100 oct fuel and maybe coincidently, maybe not, in a very short time (day or so) started getting this P0345 (4 faults but all are P0345 related) with the slip and VDC lights also. I replaced both camshaft position sensors and still have the problem. A short time after changing those sensors, it started taking a long time to start once the key is turned on. It always starts, but it takes a while. I did a battery test and it goes down to about 9.9 V while cranking and while idling the voltage read on the battery is about 12.95 V. I know these are on the low side and may point to a weak battery.

Would this have anything to do with the fault codes?

I saw that one post talked about replacing the crankshaft position sensor and I purchased one, but for the life of me, i can't seem to locate it. It is not where my Haynes manual says it is supposed to be. Any guidance about finding that? And is it possible that it may also contribute to the problem?

For the sake of full disclosure, I did apply some brake squeal paste to the back of the pads at approximately the same time. Not sure if this would or could affect anything or not. I definitely did not get any on the pads themselves.

As if this is not enough, I also have a leak from the driver side (same as USA driver side) front wheel well area where the wheel well is louvered just in front of the wheel. There is a hose that was replaced in that area on, I think, the transmission cooler. I can't find any information on what exactly the function of that part is. I do all the work myself, with help from youtube and manuals when they are helpful. On a budget and would prefer to not take it to dealer as this model, and Nissans in general are not that common where we are in Europe (Slovenia).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-16-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Anyone?

I know that there are multiple issues discussed here in my question, so anyone, please just pick one and give a guy a thought.

Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-10-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I still have this problem. After being away for a month and returning to cold weather, I tried to start and it would not even turn over. I replaced the battery which took away all failure lights...for about 50 miles. Now all fault lights/codes have returned and the hard starting has returned.

Please any thoughts from anyone would be so appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOpoke View Post
I still have this problem. After being away for a month and returning to cold weather, I tried to start and it would not even turn over. I replaced the battery which took away all failure lights...for about 50 miles. Now all fault lights/codes have returned and the hard starting has returned.

Please any thoughts from anyone would be so appreciated.
Sounds like you have a bad alternator. did you check the battery again after the codes came back?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
That's not a bad idea. Low voltage can cause stray error codes and other weird problems. It would be a good starting point to confirm that the battery is OK and at full charge, and that the alternator is charging properly.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #6 of 20 Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the slow response; I had been checking to see if anyone had replied but gave up - forgive me.

I will check the alternator with the new battery when I can, but i now have an even different issue - it will crank and crank but will not start. It started last Friday and drove all day. Saturday morning, which was in the teens degrees F here, it just cranked and no go. I thought it might have been something frozen so I put a little space heater under the hood for about 30 min and it started (with error codes 0340 and 0345) I tried to start it the next morning with similar temps and it just cranked again. The battery cranks strong, it is honestly like it is not getting fuel now. I am low on gas (fuel light has not come on, but like 1/8 tank). I was wondering if it might be water in fuel which had frozen and it is blocking something. Now it has warmed up above freezing for a couple of days (unfortunately I have been flat out with a sinus infection until today) and I tried it again - just crank.

Now more info - I did replace that crank position sensor and it was doing OK for several days and then Saturday happened. So to this point in almost exactly a year I have replaced the high pressure power steering hose, a oil cooler hose, both camshaft position sensors and now the crankshaft position sensor. I have dealt with error codes almost since day one and I am an expat living in Slovenia as a missionary. I love the vehicle but I am not sure that I want to have a continual project. I can't sell it as is and I need it too bad right now.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-03-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Some more additional information - as I was cranking it again, I found somewhere else where someone said to watch the tach to see if it moved. It did not. As I said before, I just changed out the crankshaft position sensor with OEM part so that should not be the problem. Are we looking at injectors or plugs now?

I also added about a half a tank of gas - not sure if that would change anything or not.

I bought some ether to do a force start but it is raining heavily here now and I haven't had a chance to try that.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Now I have sent it to a mechanic. Wish me luck
post #9 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

The mechanic is having trouble locating the issue too. He put one of the old cam pos sensors back in and the MO starts but manifests the hard start issue. Help?
post #10 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

The mechanic now wants to change the timing chain as he thinks it may be stretched out. Thoughts?
post #11 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

I am afraid of changing the timing chain as it will be a lot of money and I am not sure that I want to put that much money into a 10 yr old vehicle that has 130K on it. Anyone have any ideas?
post #12 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

After looking on this forum, it appears that the timing chain is a non replacement item. That is not the case for most cars here in Slovenia. It is a part of the "big maintenance" after a period of time on many european cars.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Would any of these fault indicators or symptoms that i have mentioned in the first post point to a broken guide or tensioner on the timing chain?
post #14 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

I can't remember hearing any noises in that area but I don't have the vehicle at my disposal at the moment. Would it make a specific noise in that case?
post #15 of 20 Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Please if anyone could point me in a direction, I would be very thankful. It sucks to be in a foreign country with this happening. I don't have access to many parts stores or products. I have tools and frustration at this point.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: