2003 Murano Stopped Accelerating While Driving...But Car Didn't Stall - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy 2003 Murano Stopped Accelerating While Driving...But Car Didn't Stall

Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance for any ideas... The Murano is currently sitting a Nissan Dealership 4 hours away in MD as I sit here in Ohio visiting my mother for Easter.

The Dealership is supposed to call on Monday... here is the story...

(FYI - Midas recently changed all of sparkplugs and one of the coils) (FYI - 186,000)

Driving down the highway at about 65-70mph, (After a big climb) the rpm needle suddenly bounced and i lost the ability to accelerate. The car did NOT turn off. i coasted to a stop on the side of the road. I took a deep breath and turned the car off. I turned it back on with no issue. I put the car in Drive, and didn't feel it engage the "gear." I pressed on the gas and then RPMs moved accordingly..but the car didn't move. I tried L and Reverse with the same problem.

So the care starts and runs just fine. But I can't put it into gear. No limping, no nothing. If I put it into any gear, it acts like it's in Neutral.

I had to have i towed to he closest Nissan dealership. I didn't know until reading the forums that I should have checked some fuses. I did check error codes with my cheap bluetooth OBDII reader. I popped up the normal high idle (from he spark plug change) but there was one new about speed reporting? But the reader seemed to not know the full code? There were no lights other than the SES light that was already on for a high idle warning which I knew i needed to get "relearned" at the dealership.

Obviously I'm hoping It's not going to be a CVT replacement at this stage. it's really odd. Do the symptoms seem indicative of the CVT or something else? I wouldn't be surprised if the Midas guys missed something...but it might just be the age of the CVT. I had i replaced under warranty a few years ago when it was right around 110,000.

It seems like everything i read doesn't have the same symptoms where out of nowhere its as if something snapped and now none of he gears engage. You can' feel anything coming out of park, no shudder, no click...nothing. But the RMPs move with the gas pedal.

I know the car is older but I really don't want to get rid of it right. And I really don't want to be forced into buying a new car 3 hours from where I live. (and 4 hours from where I am right now).

I'd like to be prepared for the phone call on Monday from he dealership. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!
Chris

2003 Murano SE Driver
1980 Honda CX500C Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hope you hear better news from the dealer, but I believe your cvt is toast.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 AM

I had the same issue a few days ago but my MO did not move at all. Ended up being the battery that was bad. Apparently the CVT works on an electric switch. If there is not enought power going through to the switch is goes into a save mode and cuts the CVT off. Replaced battery and is running 100% again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 AM

did the dealership find your problem?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think your car went on a limp mode. Hope it is not your CVT. Good luck.

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD
2008 Honda Civic EX Coupe
1997 Acura Integra GS
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: