1Likes
  • 1 Post By DreamCar5683

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camshaft sensor or more?

Hi folks , I newly acquired an 04' v6 model 115,000km on clock . Went for a day trip 5hrs driving, then next day saw engine light on , rough start etc- all symptoms known to cam sensors so decided to get diagnostic test. first test showed P0340 and mentioned bank 1 and bank 2.
I wasn't too happy with talking to local Nissan workshop and the talk of inflating $ and time to fix. BUT I wanted more to go on so went and got another test elsewhere which came up just pinpointing bank1- front sensor.
Sooo, I'm thinking do i get third test, if just bank 1, then buy sensor, fit it and hopefully happy travels. If works then cheaper than getting exact same thing done by workshop (most expensive in town and dodgy stories) .
But what if it is both sensors, can it reference perhaps stretched chain as have been told. If so I think I'd submit to 'experts'.... What are you're views from experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've replaced my cam sensors twice since I've owned my MO. I just buy both sensors from AutoZone, or whatever store you like. They're about $70 each I think and have a lifetime warranty.

Also, here's my DIY video on how to replace them yourself:

https://youtu.be/A6nPeRl_510
kiwidean likes this.

My Murano always needs Maintenance.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

So no issues with stretched belt?
Had a third test which I thought was supposed to be more indepth by another party, just again read code PO340. So is there a test anyones done themselves reading each sensor? Before i take in to mechanic to tighten belts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidean View Post
So no issues with stretched belt?
Had a third test which I thought was supposed to be more indepth by another party, just again read code PO340. So is there a test anyones done themselves reading each sensor? Before i take in to mechanic to tighten belts..
There is no timing belt on this engine. It has a timing chain. I know of no condition that would cause the condition of the timing belt to give a false code for camshaft position. I have 193k miles on my MO and never did anything with the timing belt at all.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, don't know if I'm being shunted by two mechanics but it is bank 1 sensor coming up, BUT here's the thing they both say chain stretched or whatever, and one mech said it's out by 6-8 degrees.... Not happy if that really case, but they seem to think chains on these go on Muranos often from 80-120,000km. Wish I had more knowledge skills myself on this as it's either b.s. and $100 fix or $$$couple grand.....(NZ)......
post #6 of 6 Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM

I'll be surprised if you actually have a timing chain issue causing a cam sensor code.

Are you talking to a Nissan dealer, who may have some in depth knowledge, or a private mechanic?

If you're still not sure about the cam sensor diagnose I'm suggesting then I recommend another opinion from a different shop. Don't tell them anything about what you've heard so far, just tell them you have a code and need help solving it. Let them come to their own conclusions.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: