Nissan Murano Forum banner

2006 Murano Rear Hatch / Trunk will NOT open

57K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  I need coffee 
#1 ·
Ok for about a month now i can NOT figure out why we can not open the rear hatch. I tried replacing the actuators for a brand new one and still no go. All 4 doors unlocks and locks with the FOB and switch inside.

Right before this happened, I recall my passenger door lock would NOT unlock. I manually unlocked it for my wife to get in but ever since then its been working fine. I thought it was just a glitch. The hatch however I discovered a few days later after the incident that it would NOT open. I have to manually crawl in the back and switch the manual latch behind the plastic cover to open it.

I'm not sure where to start and searching leads me no where. I see a few people having the issue but no posted solution! i have other posting having to replace all 4 door actuators to get them to work! wth? makes no sense to replace all 4 just to get the hatch to open. the actuators are not cheap by any means.

Thanks,
AJ

#2 ·
I'm having the same issue. Based on some reasearch, I read that the hatch lock is controlled by the actuator on the passenger side door. So in this case since the passenger door lock actuator is acting up, the rear hatch is also being affected. In my case, I have to manually unlocke the front passenger door in order for the rear hatch to open. It works about 99% of the time this way. The other 1%, when it happens, even by me unlocking the front passenger side door the rear hatch doesn't want to open.

This has been going on for sometime now. I wanna say almost a year maybe. Hopefully someone can post a solution to this as it is very annoying and also a safety concern I think.

#13 ·
what year? I have an 06 Murano with same problem. Went out on me about 3 months after i purchased used with 74,000 miles on it in 2015. I finally gave up trying to figure it out. I just never use it. If it is the 06 Murano you are talking about would you mind posting a picture of where toggle is located? Thank you in advance for your time. I would be so grateful for any help I can get.

#6 ·
Do any of you guys possibly have a rusty latch issue? I have an 04' SE and might possibly have a different latch than you (level style) but that might be something to look into? I have also posted a thread about this a while back, which is in the 'sticky' section.....actually, just last week had to do the same thing not to the actual mechanism as in the sticky thread, but now in the actual hand lever itself, which was also rusted out and would not move when pulled from the outside.

*This is just an idea as I believe most of the newer models have a button style latch and not the lever like my 04'.*

#8 ·
I going to resurrect this post from the dead:

Having the exact same issue. All doors unlock. Fuel door unlock. Rear Hatch does not. Rear switch doesn't work nor trying to unlocking it using intel-key fob. I don't hear a click. I have to manually unlock from the back. Visually verified fuses 18 and 22 in the front panel.

From the relay, tested the relay and it works.. It clicks when given 12v and shows no resistance in the meter.

I did short and give power to the green/red wire at the relay and that that did unlock the actuator in the rear.

Any thoughts? not sure where the problem lies. Looks like I can force it to give power and it seems to work, and relay checks out.

#11 ·
My problem was the relay also. Replaced the relay which is located under the driver dashboard left side and my tailgate worked again.. Have to take off foot step plastic and then remove the under dash plastic to access the relay. There is a screw holding a bracket to which the relay is attached.