Nissan Murano Forum banner

Engine oil Check

17K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  stuart 
#1 ·
Found it quite hard to check accurately my engine oil,oil seems to be above the levels and not below
( you get oil on the bottom of dipstick)
Had a look on Utube how to check engine oil ( seemed a good video and followed it but still did not get a good reading

()

I have the car level it is cold have put in at least 2 pints of oil, no reading on insert of oil (probe) Dipstick. I have put dipstick in the correct way.

The dipstick is cranked inwards as explained in video and marked here too but unless i leave the dipstick in for a few mins no oil gets on this part when i do leave it in it covers it with no true reading
Where is it going please might have to go to garage
:)

#2 ·
Has anyone else had this problem when checking oil level not sure now if overfull or under
Can anyone enlighten me is it sludge in the tank stopping the oil getting to the level insert on dipstick
Went down to local garage this afternoon,mechanic had the same problems as myself,first thinking it was empty an needed oil when i told him i had put in 3 pints with no difference of measurement on dipstick we talked over how it was a false reading and i had probably too much oil in now
his answer was to suggest empty all oil out take off oil filter put new filter on and refill with the correct amount.
In my murano hand book it says 4 litres in (3.7without filter)
in the haynes manual is says more 94.25 quarts us) 4 83 litres europe
Quote NissanHelp
Definately not 5 quarts. The dipstick is very hard to get an accurate reading on the 3.5l engine. Usually 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 quarts should fill it.

#4 ·
Not sludge. Poor design.

Take your time, check with the engine warm and let is sit for at least 10 minutes before checking. Check front and back on the dipstick and take an average. Don't panic.

If you have an acceptable reading at the average, add oil. keep a record book, check oil every couple of tanks of gas, and make careful records about oil consumption. ANything else is guess work.

If it's burning oil, feed it oil as needed. Oil is cheap. My engine and most Murano engines are a 5-quart fill when replacing the filter.

#5 ·
Thanks for reply been off line for a few days
yes as I said did add oil but no different in reading one thing i learnt looking around for info this is not that rare a problem
Basicly got an oil change then clear reading could be taken no trouble
Having bought the car privately and was told probably incorrectly that oil had been done only 2000 miles before .But oil was dirty and was not forming around dipstick
All good now
Stuart ps my car 4 litres of oil with filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.