Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear Passenger Axle Shaft Replacement?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Blk07Murano 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Up until a few days ago I was a proud owner of a 2007 Murano. I was driving on the thruway and at about 40-60 mph I felt a rumbling, kind of like you drive on the thruway edge the wake you up if you fall asleep. It was definitely coming from the back passenger tire area. Now it doesn't stay on all the time, but comes on about between 40 and 60 mph. One time the entire truck oscillated, center armrest console and my seat. So now tonight I was going to put my summer tires on which are mounted on different rims, (yes I been toggling these same rims back and forth for years) to rule out a bad belt on tire. I have read nightmares about the transfer cases going and Nissan not warranting. I have 80000 miles and have owned this vehicle from new back in 07. Well before I changed the tires I got up under neath the truck, and started to wiggle around. I found about 1/3" slop in my passenger rear axl shaft. This is where the sound is coming from. I said Bingo! But i am leary any damage is done in transfer case. Well I go on line to see how much part is, and I can only find on Ebay. My question is , can the rear drive axles be replaced, or is it considered part of transfer case? Did anyone have any luck doing by using used part from Junkyard, or having the dealer replace (if so how much)? I am thinking about calling dealer to see what they say. I have searched internet for hours tonight. Very hard to find info on this. I appreciate everyone's and anyone's help in advanced! Thanks!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd do the axle first, then evaluate. It might have damaged the bearing but that's not certain.

Note: you say the slop is IN THE AXLE. Therefor I assume you have eliminated the bearing as the source of any movement.

#5 ·
Thanks for responding.
I just removed brake caliper and it seem rusted to disc, where I can not spin by hand. Obviously its not, but the piston is so rusted on Caliper I cannot push in with big clamp and block off wood. Ive done about 20 brake jobs in life and never had this problem.I have doust it with spray penetrate and still cannot push in.I have read where 3 people had this very similiar problem. Does this make sense? Im gonna replace cailper. I did wiggle test on bearing, and seems solid. I just have 3x more play on the CV axle shaft then anymore shafts on vehicle....Im praying its ok...I see no leakage of oil on transfer case. What do you think? Is it hard to replace Cailper?

#6 ·
You can order rebuilt calipers and it's just a matter of removing the old one, connecting the new one, remounting and bleeding the brakes. If it's that corroded, I think that would be a good idea.

For my 07 they are less than $80 at NAPA Online.

#7 ·
I had this same issue a few months ago. Noticed a rumbling early in the day.
Later ,while getting gas ,I noticed a "hot" smell and felt my wheels - the rear driver's side was very hot. When I got home ,I found the caliper stuck.
Got a new caliper at Advance Auto and a new brake hose at Napa. Both were fairly cheap &fairly easy to replace. Only issue was getting the banjo bolt tight enough to not leak brake fluid, It has a rather low tourqe spec. But I had to go a bit tighter to stop leaking fluid.

#8 ·
I did the brake caliper replacement, and I drove it 50 miles on thruway, and so far no problems.... Mosmo, I just read you reply now, thanks...I am hoping you are correct.I read two other people with this same problem during the week....Keeping my fingers crossed. I will report back after more mileage...Thank for your and Pilgram's response...I am feeling relieved so far its not back transfer case and about $3000 I'm out..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.