Nissan Murano Forum banner

iPod control on the SL

63K views 207 replies 47 participants last post by  mrbee2828 
#1 ·
Picking up my 2009 SL this afternoon and need some iPod help as a newb. Didn't want to spend the $$ for the LE model just to get full iPod integration and want to know if anyone out there knows a workaround or whatever to make the pod work with the factory stereo. I do have the technology package etc. and high-end factory stereo. THanks.

#28 ·
Arbiter, does your SL have the Premium Package (ie, with the Bose, not the base audio system)?

Also, what "tweaking" did you have to do to get it to work?

Thanks --jayhawk

abiter said:
I recently installed the ipod adapter from Jerseyparts on my wifes 2009 nissan murano sl without navigation. The forward set up works wonderful after a little tweaking. Now she has excellent ipod player ability

#29 ·
ipod

the wires that jerseyparts sells, plug into the back of the bose 6 disc cd /xm player and into the ipod adapter. I put the adapter under the center console and drilled a hole in the center console and ran the wire for the IPOD through there. The stereo shows the song title, artist and album information on the screen. It plays on the xm station and sounds great.
The only thing I needed outside help with was to have the dealership reset my airbag light.. I know some of you may call it something other than an adapter but it works well and sounds great. so there :eek:

#30 ·
Do you have full control of the IPOD via your steering wheel and controls on the radio?

#31 ·
you can control the sound from the steering wheel and the advancement of the songs is done by the tuning knob on the stereo controls. I am still trying to work it all out and figure out how to advence the songs by artist, album and genre from the other controls..

#32 ·
Are you able to advance/select songs by sliding the "source" button on the steering wheel either UPWARD or DOWNWARD and then start the song playing by pressing the "source" button IN? This is how it works on my LE with factory iPod adapter. You can select songs on the iPod by using the control knob as you mentioned, but also by using the "track" buttons on the Bose radio controls for forward or reverse selection.
Take care!

Jim

#33 ·
Re: ipod

abiter said:
the wires that jerseyparts sells, plug into the back of the bose 6 disc cd /xm player and into the ipod adapter. I put the adapter under the center console and drilled a hole in the center console and ran the wire for the IPOD through there. The stereo shows the song title, artist and album information on the screen. It plays on the xm station and sounds great.
The only thing I needed outside help with was to have the dealership reset my airbag light.. I know some of you may call it something other than an adapter but it works well and sounds great. so there :eek:
Can you elaborate a bit when you say it plays on the XM station? So are you saying it takes the place of satellite radio or did you mean the AUX source in general? If it takes the place of XM does unplugging your iPod restore XM service? Not trying to drill you but I think the part you got is a pretty big advancement that I haven't heard of before. I've yet to find a kit that can even display the iPod interface on the screen, let alone display it and then allow control of it via the factory buttons.

I still have a sinking feeling that NAVI may get in my way though. Please keep us up to date as you explore the new functionality.

#41 ·
Re: hmmmm

alloveru said:
so who wants to test the http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11010 solution.

If i didn't have to pay duty (stupid Canada Customs!) i would attempt to buy it.

has anyone had any progress on adding the Ipod control box? My dealership is playing games with me now... not returning phone calls (regarding other issues)
I'm toying with the idea of trying it out. Need to look at my service manual to get an idea of the difficulty (since it might not work).

#42 ·
grayvader said:
Don't know much about this one, but I did put in a question on the iSimple website...
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11010

Will let you guys know if I hear back.

Edit: ok, I heard back. They simply said "Unfortunately that vehicle has not been tested at this time."

Not very helpful. I'll put in a similar question on the autotoys site.
Maybe if we all bugged iSimple, they would try to validate their solution on the Murano... Everyone send them an email. They actually responded pretty quickly.

http://isimplesolutions.com/CES/default.asp

#45 ·
Ipod in Murano SL

Hello:

I have posted on 2 other Murano forum websites regarding the Ipod issue. And, was wondering what was the conclusion on getting an Ipod Integration Kit or if there is even such a thing?

I am a new owner of a 2009 Nissan Murano SL AWD as of last week and was excited when I was told by the salesman that the vehicle had compatibility for Ipod/MP3. I have the Navigation System, Music Box, Satellite Radio, Compact Flash drive.

Well, I don't know what the heck I am doing, but I thought there was some type of auxiliary jack input in the dash under the Tuning button on the Stereo? There is nothing there. Then, I opened up the center console storage compartment between the 2 front seats, and there is nothing inside that storage area (which I read there is in some models.)

My husband purchased me an Ipod so that I could use with this new vehicle, Ugh. I did find on the exterior of the center console storage compartment at the back (facing towards the back seats), a small door that flips up and inside there are 3 jack holes? Is there some type of cable I should purchase that would not only hook up my Ipod, but that I would be able to work the Ipod from the Touch Screen Monitor in the front Dash? Thanks!

#46 ·
You have basically stumbled upon the issue that this whole thread is about. Your SL doesn't have the capability to control the Ipod or see data on the screen.

You can get a cable to play your ipod through the aux jacks under that little door, but you still have to used the ipod to control the music.

We are all looking for a kit that would provide functionality like the LE model has (which does allow you to control the ipod and see data on the screen).

#47 ·
ipod on SL

I've been looking into this for some time. The key is whether there are any connectors in the wiring harness of the 2009 SL that the Nissan iPod adapter (the interface box used in the LE and most of the other Nissan and Infiniti models that DO have ipod integration) can attach to. I now have a parts guy at a local Nissan dealer checking with Nissan corporate to see if the wiring harness in an SL with the Premium Package (Bose audio) is the same as any 2009 LE. And if so, where is that connector. I know there is no connector on an SL near where the iPod Adapter box mounts in an LE (I looked in my car). My next step, pending hearing something from the Nissan Parts guy, is to open up my console and look to see if there are any wires running through the connectors there to the iPod pins in the big connector on the back of the Audio/Video Control Unit. If so, that implies those wires go to a connector somewhere that an iPod Adapter could attach to. But if there are no wires to the ipod pins on the AV Control Unit, then we are SOL until some third party comes up with something.

I haven't opened up the center stack yet because I haven't had the time plus don't have permission yet from the real owner -- my wife! Still working on that...:)

--jayhawk

#48 ·
Thanks for the reply grayvader!

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the Ipod thing. For the vehicle I got which was the SL fully-loaded with everything except the DVD player, it seems strange that something as simple as an Ipod integration would not be included, or even have the option to purchase a kit from Nissan after purchase of the vehicle, to be installed.

As much as my salesperson was very nice, and supposedly has been with Nissan for over 15 years, she was incorrect in what options came in S, SL and LE.

The SL I ordered was supposed to have 6-CD changer, as well as she told me I could plug in the Ipod inside the console storage compartment. The vehicle I received had no 6-CD changer, but Navigation which I didn't want. Upon picking up the vehicle last week, she called me and said my car arrived and that they "threw in an extra perk -- the navigation system” because it was the only vehicle they could locate in black with beige leather and moonroof. I was thinking great! And, at no extra charge. Well, apparently you can't have both the 6-CD Changer and Navigation, it is one or the other. The salesperson even explained to me about how each CD is fed in 1 at a time before I climbed into my new vehicle.

I got home and well, it was a single CD player. Called her, and she acted surprised that is was not in there. Then, calls me back and says the 6-CD changer doesn't come with the Navigation package. Now, I am thinking to myself I didn't want the Navigation from the beginning.

I do love the car, comfortable solid ride, great stereo, camera view on monitor while backing up, bluetooth, satellite radio, steering wheel controls, and the list goes on but I don't like the fact that these salespeople either are not knowledgeable enough or they are straight out lying to make a sale.

Well, I hope at some point in time an Ipod integration kit does come out.

#50 ·
MsMurano - you've got something better than a CD changer!

Ms Murano, if you have the Nav then you also have the Music Box! That can be considered a Super CD changer. It is a computer hard drive (most of which used for the Navigation system) but has almost 10 Gb to store the music from CDs (almost 3000 songs) All you have to do is put a CD in the CD slot, press the REC icon on the screen, and your Murano will rip the CD to the music box at about 4 or 5 times actual playing speed. (ie, by the time the CD in on the 3rd song, it will have completed riping the whole CD to the hard drive.) AND it has an embedded database (called Gracenotes) that will figure out the CD title, artist, and song titles to display that on the screen whenever you play your music from the Music Box.)

Now it does NOT allow you to copy MP3s directly to the hard drive. But if you want a CD changer, you have one that holds a LOT more than 6 CDs.

We love ours...

--jayhawk

#51 ·
I understand about the Music Box/Compact Flash drive. But honestly, I don't have that many CDs to record to the Music Box. And, unless someone has quite a collection of music on CDs, I don't find it that useful. Being able to convert from Ipod, well that would be another story, that would be awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.