Nissan Murano Forum banner

iPod control on the SL

63K views 207 replies 47 participants last post by  mrbee2828 
#1 ·
Picking up my 2009 SL this afternoon and need some iPod help as a newb. Didn't want to spend the $$ for the LE model just to get full iPod integration and want to know if anyone out there knows a workaround or whatever to make the pod work with the factory stereo. I do have the technology package etc. and high-end factory stereo. THanks.

#2 ·
I'm new to the forum, and Muranos in general, but as someone who's put in an aftermarket iPod interface for a 2000 Accord and a 2006 Accord, it usually takes awhile for a manufacturer to catch up with a new model stereo. If the 09 Murano's entertainment system guts are a lot different than previous models, chances are it will be awhile before anyone comes up with an after-market interface - at least one as nice as the one that comes with the LE. A lot of the interfaces for the Hondas required you to give up something (either NAV, XM, or something).

Anyone know who manufactures the one that comes with the LE? I wonder if they sell it by itself for Murano S and SL owners to put in after the fact.

I just found a site called "yournissanparts.com" that has iPod interfaces that I've read good things about - it sounds like they work almost exactly like the one in the LE with a few minor exceptions - and you can get one that is compatible with the factory XM. The problem is it only lists compatibility up to the 06 Murano - not sure if it would work with the 07 or 09 since I don't know what changes have been made since 06.

Here's the link to the one for radios with Sat:

http://www.yournissanparts.com/catalog.aspx?storename=nissanofturnersville&DeptID=188852&ItemID=9380112&detail=1

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, but initially I think you're going to be stuck using your iPod through the aux jack and controlling it from the iPod screen. Hope someone else has better news for you.

#5 ·
Looks like the 2nd gen MO's don't have a tape player like the 1st gen MO's did. If they did, I'd say get one of those tapes that have a cable that attaches to the iPod's sterio port and call it done.

Oh well...the old technology will eventually die...

:D

#7 ·
Warhammer said:
Looks like the 2nd gen MO's don't have a tape player like the 1st gen MO's did. If they did, I'd say get one of those tapes that have a cable that attaches to the iPod's sterio port and call it done.

Oh well...the old technology will eventually die...

:D
All muranos have an aux stock- S/SL on prem have analog input - i.e get a male->male headphone wire- turn your system to aux and your good- but you controll it via the actual IPod- on bose system-> the headphone jack aux is replaced with a standard 3 prong RCA - aux- so you can plug in anything that does rca out- DVD player, some Navs etc-- you can get an rca->headphone (female) converter (any radioshack should have one) and then use a male->male headphone wire to plug it up to the ipod like you would on a non bose-

Now to get plug in I pod- use your cars interface to controll it, that requres the LE and or aftermarker adapters that have yet to be made I think :)

The only stock change I think they should make on the mo at base level is a USB port- on all models- standard or prem pkg- then you just throw a 2.5 inch 20gig usb drive on that thing and your set for the long haul...the 6 disc changer with mp3 compatability at all levels is good tho

#8 ·
Using the premium package on the SL,
I just plugged a 'Cables To Go' 4-Feet RCA Stereo to Dock Connector Cable for IPOD, ( http://www.amazon.com/Cables-4-Feet-Stereo-Connector-Cable/dp/B000JG3WBY/ref=pd_ys_iyr9 ) into the rear RCA plugs and used the IPOD to control, on the AUX setting.
I guess it would be the AUX home,
because AUX 1 and 2 are XM.
Good work around, even though you can't
use your Murano screen to control the IPOD.
Sounds great compared to an Ipod headphone out or wireless connection.

#9 ·
#10 ·
will this work for my iphone 3g? I have 1660 songs on it.

thanks for the tip.

northwood said:
Using the premium package on the SL,
I just plugged a 'Cables To Go' 4-Feet RCA Stereo to Dock Connector Cable for IPOD, ( http://www.amazon.com/Cables-4-Feet-Stereo-Connector-Cable/dp/B000JG3WBY/ref=pd_ys_iyr9 ) into the rear RCA plugs and used the IPOD to control, on the AUX setting.
I guess it would be the AUX home,
because AUX 1 and 2 are XM.
Good work around, even though you can't
use your Murano screen to control the IPOD.
Sounds great compared to an Ipod headphone out or wireless connection.

#11 ·
Sigh...

Just traded in my 04 SL with excellent OEM iPod integration for an 09 SL with nav. I knew there was no "real" iPod option for those of us who are loathe to pay an extra $3k for the LE, but I didn't know about the CF / music box option.

With Music Box it looks like you're limited to crappy 132(?) kbit CBR mp3's which it has to slowly rip from pressed (as opposed to burned) CDs. But at least you can search by artist, album, etc. And with the CF option, you can do vbr and 320 kb/s, but you're limited to creating folders for playlists and you can't search in the id3 tags. Garrrr! Whose lame idea was it to make those features mutually exclusive?

I guess I had to wait 3 years for decent iPod integration on my last Murano; hopefully the wait won't be so long for the current iteration. Until then, I'll be patiently (or maybe not so patiently) waiting.

#12 ·
for those who really really really want a ipod integration and havent bought a 09 yet..... with the current situation you might be able to just talk a dealer down to SL pricing level for a LE.....

#13 ·
integrated ipod for SL

There has been discussion of this ipod desire on some other forums, but I believe there is a good possibility that an integrated ipod solution like the LE has is, uh, possible.

The 2009 Murano Service Manual (which can be downloaded for a fee from nissanhelp.com) shows an "IPOD Adapter" installed in the center console just forward of the gear selector, presumably on the LE, although the Service Manual does not specify that. It shows it in sections of the service manual for Murano with Nav, and in the sections Without NAV.

Further, the Nissan GTR, which has the same Bose Audio/Music Box/Nav system as that available on the Murano SL and included in the LE, has a "Dealer Installed" factory option for iPod integration. That option is just a small box with some cables, according to a photo on one Nissan dealer's parts site. That is a $400 option (installed) on the GTR.

I would not be at all surprised if there is not already a wiring connector on SLs with the Bose/Music Box/Nav packages at the location shown in the Service Manual, and install of the GTR option might be easy. Maybe...

I have not yet had the courage to remove my new SL's console to look in the location describe in the Service Manual for the IPOD Adapter. And now our new SL (AWD) is on loan to our daughters for a skiing trip, so it will be a few more days before I have to re-examine my fear of taking tools to the perfect console of our perfect new CUV...

Anyone else want to look???

[/URL][/IMG]

This is the diagram in the 2009 Murano Service Manual. Item 21 is identified as the "IPOD Adapter"

#14 ·
Jayhawk, thanks for the info. I like your reasoning. Seems that nobody's taken the time to really go digging to see if it's possible. I have no qualms about taking apart my brand new car :D but not until I get the service manual. Probably this weekend at the earliest.

#15 ·
ipod integration

Mike, the 2009 Murano Service Manual can be downloaded from nissanhelp.com. Much of the content there is free, but to download manuals, you must register for an annual membership fee of $10. (there is no further fees or charges to download manuals). It is a nicely done set of pdf files, one for each section, all cross linked and cross referenced.

--jayhawk

#16 ·
i thought of something for all 2009 murano sl ipod interface seekers. given all 09 nissan vehicles share the same radio, radio components.... the 2009 quest has an ipod interface u can order through accesories , aftermarket parts. its there on nissanusa.com i looked at pictures of the 09 quest display screen and it looks just like the 09 murano, same software. so why wouldnt this ipod interface work with the murano sl? i am going to ask the service dept some questions tomorrow about this when i go for my oil change.

#18 ·
talk to a guy this morning when i went for my oil change at nissan. its may work , way not he says. i explained what i said previously , but in more detail. he told me i would just have to try and see. so when i go back to pick up my car on lunch, i have to ask the head of that dept if he will give it a try for me. so i have to spend money to see if it works or not.

#22 ·
i didnt forget u guys, just researching a few things before i order the quest interface. it cost $250. so i want to be as certain as possible. the nissan mechanics of course arent sure they want to even try to do it, so im gonna do it myself. im assuming it will have to connect to the sat harness behind the rear seats like the 07 murano using the armada interface. if not then i would have to try the head unit. so i want to be very confident b4 i spend the money

#25 ·
dub sel said:
save that info for another forum.
Maybe a "welcome" would be better received....

Being abiter's first post I'm sure the individual was just trying to contribute. Maybe this "jerseyparts" item is more than an adapter??
Do you know?

- If the jerseyparts item is more than an adapter, let us know how you can interface with the ipod via the OEM controls/screen etc.

Either Way, "Welcome Abiter."

Cheers

#26 ·
Re: integrated ipod for SL

Well, I finally got off the dime and opened up the center console of my 2009 SL (w/Premium and Nav) to see what is there. My post earlier in this thread shows a diagram from the 2009 Murano Service Manual which shows a small box called by Nissan the "IPOD Adapter" in the console just ahead of the gearshift mechanism. This is clearly the factory unit that allows the audio system and display interface to an iPod.

Anyway, there is nothing there on my SL, no adapter, no brackets, no unused connectors.

I'm guessing that the factory just adds the same unit and wiring that is used for the GTR's "dealer installed" iPod integration feature.

Any LE owners willing to open up their center console and see where the Nissan "IPOD Adapter" is attached to the audio control unit?

jayhawk said:

[/URL][/IMG]

This is the diagram in the 2009 Murano Service Manual. Item 21 is identified as the "IPOD Adapter"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.