Nissan Murano Forum banner

Transmission Leak on 2009 Murano :(

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  intencity 
#1 ·
I bought a brand new 09 Murano. I noticed a leak from transmission fluid, brought it into the dealer, and they said it was the seal. They replaced the seal.

A few weeks later I noticed it leaking again, brought it in, and they said that the last tech must have installed the seal incorrectly, and they put a new seal in. They said they inspected all other parts and saw nothing wrong with anything else except the seal.

I have now noticed the fluid leaking yet again, and am planning to bring it back to the dealer.

I know very little about mechanics, and feel like I am being taken advantage of. What do I tell them to get this fixed? What can possibly be wrong with it?

Being that this problem has persisted for so long, is it possible that there has been serious damage to the underlying fundamentals of the car?

Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

#2 ·
Depending on what state you live in you may be up for a good lemon law case. If it were my car I would mention to the service department my intention of pursing a buy back. Knowing the lemon law of your state will defiantly help if any rebuttal by the advisor, my state is 3 separate attempts to fix the same problem before you can pursue.

#4 ·
lemon law protects a buyer from being stuck with a vehicle that has continuous problems. that is basically what it is.

i would say that on your next visit to the dealership, they are probably going to replace your entire CVT.

if they seem to be giving you the runaround, know your states lemon law....google it

#5 ·
myrano05 said:
lemon law protects a buyer from being stuck with a vehicle that has continuous problems. that is basically what it is.

i would say that on your next visit to the dealership, they are probably going to replace your entire CVT.

if they seem to be giving you the runaround, know your states lemon law....google it
What he said.

#6 ·
MD lemon law

intencity said:
What is a lemon law?
I am in MD
Maryland is a four-try state:

Maryland's lemon law applies only to cars, light trucks and motorcycles that:

1. Are registered in Maryland, and

2. Have been driven less than 15,000 miles and been owned less than 15 months.
(Even if you are not the original owner, the Lemon Law might apply to your vehicle if the original owner purchased it less than 15 months ago.)

The law provides that a dealer or manufacturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:

Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/lemon.htm

#7 ·
Before you go jumping on the Lemon Law bandwagon you really need to get a good read on what is leaking.

Read your work order for us and post exactly what they fixed. IE - what seal did they replace?

Typically if a new seal does not fix a leak it's due to excessive movement/motion of the surface it is sealing against. In this case you could have a rotating shaft seal leaking which if not the seal could either be a transmission case "flaw" or a shaft bearing issue causing excess shaft wobble. If it's a seal/"gasket" issue on a pan or cover, then you probably have a transmission case/pan issue or "poor mechanic" / install issue etc..

A seal leaking and the dealer making several attempts to fix it "should not" require lemon law proceedings. Now, if they go as far as to replace the transmission and that fixes the leak yet now you end up with numerous other problems / trips to the dealer, then go down your state LL path.

Trust me, if you like the vehicle, continue to work with the dealership (or other) to get the leak fixed properly. BBB and or Lemon Law proceedings are time and emotionally "consuming," not to mention a pain in the butt. Not all are happy endings for the consumer (most are not unless a lawyer is heavily involved).

Been there done that with two previous cars - with a 50/50 track record.

Let us know what they have done,

Good luck!

#8 ·
thank you for your advice. i believe it is the left axle seal which keeps leaking. right now, after multiple trips to the dealer starting at a few thousand miles, the car now has 18,500 miles on it, past the 15,000 limit set by MD for LL cases.

Did the dealership try to push this issue off so that I would go beyond 15,000 miles and be unable to file a case?

I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. Why would the same issue be happening so many times? LAst time the "master" Nissan technician said they inspected the entire transmission and framework and the only thing that could have been wrong is the axle seal. But why would this happen so many times?!

#9 ·
intencity-

Do you have three MO's, each with a leak?? :confused: Or is it one MO with one leak on three separate threads?? :4:

If you don't mind I will consolidate the posts to eliminate duplication.

-njjoe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.