Nissan Murano Forum banner

I used to trust Nissan quality...

10K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
In 1997, I bought a 91' Maxima at 90K, drove for 100K with zero problems, just normal maintenance and minor repairs. My friend still drives his 93' Quest.

Then in 2003 got 00' Maxima at 90K, again used it for 100K. In this one I had to replace faulty air sensor and all ignition coils. There was occasional jerky shift to 2nd gear (at full throttle).

In 2007 got new Murano, drove 112K in 6 years. Year 2, gas gauge stopped showing 'Full', dealer replaced the tank, then the sensor assembly (warranty). At 82K replaced transfer case (warranty). In year 4 driver seat frame broke (known problem) - fixed myself instead of paying $800.

My son wasn't so lucky with his 2011 MO. Replaced transfer case seals at 82K (warranty) and the transfer case itself at 112K ($3500 out of his own pocket). Nissan Canada wouldn't help.
And just learned that my friend had to replace seized engine in his Maxima at 111K (and he'd followed service schedule to the letter).

Looking around in this forum, transfer case faults over two generations, plus my family experience.. Designed to fail?

Bottom line, Max and MO are fun to drive, however, I can no longer trust their quality. Once my own lease expires, I'm done with Nissan.
Unless they offer 10 year 200K warranty on the drive train.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hear ya. But it's not just Nissan. I talk to other techs at other car lines and everyone has their quirks. As cars get bigger and more crap gets loaded onto them, things will break. I agree that cars in general of a few decades ago seem to last a lot longer.

I wonder why your friend's maxima engine seize up if he followed maintenance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Nissan Quality

I have a '92 240 SX with 90k miles I bought 7 years ago that is a daily driver and everything except tripometer and gas gauge still works, a 1998 Infiniti i30 I bought in 2001, it has 160k miles and is a daily driver, a 2009 FWD SL Mo with 85K miles and no notable issues and now a 2015 Murano FWD Platinum.

I like to keep my cars and have been a satisfied Nissan owner since I purchased my first one, a new '92 Stanza, and the only one I ever sold simply because our family outgrew it.

After reading the many issues shared on this forum I hope that they do not reflect the majority of experiences, and I hope I continue to enjoy outstanding service from the family fleet.:)

#5 ·
It's true cars become more sophisticated.

However, the basics still remains the same, there is no magic about the engine or other parts of drive train. They should generally last well beyond 200K without major breakdowns.

For the next vehicle I will be looking for a better drive train warranty. If cars getting crappy, that's the only answer. And will be carefully researching for a history of major problems like Murano Transfer Case.

#7 ·
Nissan Quality Degrading?

I have had several Nissan products going back to my 76 B210. Ran a 96 Maxima to 140k replacing only the alternator, 99 Altima to 170k replacing the alternator at 160k. I now have a 07 Maxima with 72k that needs timing chain guides replaced at $1500.00 dealer cost. There is a TSB about this problem but I'm way over the time and miles as per the dealer.
My 09 Murano had been making a exhaust noise, my shop looked under the front and found the flex pipes rotted out. He said there beyond a welding repair. Cost to replace $850. This car has 71k. I thought cars today used stainless steel on exhaust systems. Had a Caravan 13 years to 150k only replacing the muffler CAT back. My cars are always maintained.

#8 ·
I have had several Nissan products going back to my 76 B210. Ran a 96 Maxima to 140k replacing only the alternator, 99 Altima to 170k replacing the alternator at 160k. I now have a 07 Maxima with 72k that needs timing chain guides replaced at $1500.00 dealer cost. There is a TSB about this problem but I'm way over the time and miles as per the dealer.
My 09 Murano had been making a exhaust noise, my shop looked under the front and found the flex pipes rotted out. He said there beyond a welding repair. Cost to replace $850. This car has 71k. I thought cars today used stainless steel on exhaust systems. Had a Caravan 13 years to 150k only replacing the muffler CAT back. My cars are always maintained.
Who told you that stainless steel doesn't corrode?

#10 ·
Created a Facebook page

People should know about quality problems, otherwise they will continue to buy these vehicles, and Nissan will continue to manufacture crap.

So, I created a Facebook page describing these issues - to make it a bit more visible.

Check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Murano-Transfer-Case-Problem/387243794785488

If you like it - click Like and/or share with friends!

#12 ·
I don't want to settle on mediocrity.

Agree every car line may have issues. However, if the issue is not addressed for 10 years (transfer case), it means they designed it to fail.

In my first car I once replaced a gear box myself in 4 hours - back then cars were designed to be repaired in a small shop. These days any 'little' problem is a major repair. Like disassemble half the engine to fix a leaking rail (got once in a cold weather).

So, in short, properly maintained drive train should run without a problem for at least 200K. Anything else I call 'engineered to fail' :)

#15 ·
I don't mind using aftermarket parts, but when it comes to the engine or transfer case - not much choice!
The bottom line, it's no longer economical to own Nissan after 100,000km (drivetrain warranty).

Depends on what fails and how you figure it. You can put a lot of money into a car and it's still less than buying a replacement. If you drive 100K, then spend $5,000-$10,000 on repairs and get another 100K miles out of the car, then you came out ahead. Most people aren't patient enough to do that.

#17 ·
Say what you want, but I just traded in a 2005 Murano, with 95K miles on it, and other than tires, brakes, batteries, and a belt, I spent NOTHING to drive it, for 10 years. One thing stopped working this year, and I did not repair it, because it was not a necessity. But I have realistic expectations too.....things break, mechanical things wear out. How's your back? Your knees? Your eyes? Still like they were when you were 12?

Didn't think so.

Oh, and I traded it for a 2014 Murano, LE Platinum. Awesome Car! So I have NO issues with Nissan. I also got a very fair trade price for the 05' too.

#18 ·
Lynne22: I'm saying only facts about my personal experience with MO. I love driving it, it's a great vehicle, but the mechanical quality is no longer there. Once again, it's my opinion based on facts with 3 MO in my household.

May be you got lucky, or may be you are very gentle driver. I wish you good luck with your new vehicle. I trust if you get a serious problem you would openly contribute in this discussion.

#19 ·
I would talk about it with Nissan, or the dealership, but I would not publicly accuse any company of poor quality, (if not proven) if most of my experience was based on buying high mileage used cars, that you don't know the history on. Maybe you and your friends/family are a hard drivers too. Maybe it's the environment you live in. Freezing cold/salted roads?/blazing hot? Not good for cars, or anything else for that matter.

I'm a hard driver....maybe you just have 'bad car karma'. Some people do....

I'm also of the opinion, once a car is over 100K, it's bound to have issues. It's just the way cars are. I'd say if you had a car over that with no issues, then you are the one that got lucky, once. As I said, exaggerated expectation is bound to cause disappointment. Obviously I disagree with your opinion that the 'mechanical quality is no longer there'. I believe the 05' was the best car I have ever owned. Most reliable out of every car I have had in my 58 years on the planet.

But, by all means, find another car company that can do better. That's a challenge. Let us know when you do though......

#20 ·
Lynne22: Sure we talked to the dealer and they talked to Nissan - and still paid full price for these repairs. Now, if you carefully read my posts - all my negative experience was related to vehicles driven from 0 miles (brand new). Older vehicles I drove from 100K to 200K were more or less problem free.

Too bad they trained you that older cars must have issues; as I said, my Nissans used to last without major issues. And, there are issues and issues. Transfer case fails because of tiny oil leak (bad design/seal) means the part is craftily engineered to fail. No different than driver seat frame failure (metal fatique, because it's too thin in a specific point, and I'm not a heavy guy). and so on.

Bottom line I publish this because I want others to know my experience. Then it's up to you if you believe it or not.

#26 ·
I'm talking about trust/reliability from 80,000 km to 200,000 km. Like leaking gasket killing a $3,000 part and stranding you on the road - with Nissan shop being the only reasonable option for repairs. There are certain parts that should last much longer than warranty, and Nissan used to live up to the expectation, but not any more.

#22 ·
They can't possibly have a clue yet how reliable the 2015 Murano will be. Considering it's basically just the 2nd get with a weird body, it should be fairly reliable. Our 2011 now has about 77k miles and other than tires, oil, a stupid issue with the hands free microphone, it's like we just drove it off the lot. With so many on the road, you're gonna find horror stories as well as good ones.

#23 ·
They can't possibly have a clue yet how reliable the 2015 Murano will be.
It's a projection based on the reliability of past models. In this case, 2012. Unless, for some reason, this year's model is much worse than past models (and, yes, that is possible), this is a reasonable projection.

"The 2015 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 34,000 original owners of 2012 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded between November and December 2014."

JD Power 2015 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study Results

#24 ·
But it's an "all new" according to Nissan. Kind of hard to project reliability

#25 ·
Muranos have been as reliable as just about any other vehicle. There's no reason to expect anything different in the new models.

Just check Consumer Reports (if you drink that Kool_Aid) and you'll see it all laid out for you.

#29 ·
I agree that CR is one of the best sources of objective data. These are averages, and NOT what any one car will provide in terms of reliability.i once bought a top rated VW Passat that was above average reliability and it was total lemon. It was a combination of known defects (TSB) and random failures that made me sell it after 1 year, but other people had same car for 5 years without any problems.

Pilgrim is right about general reliability of major components of older vehicles. However, it was easier to repair and replace those parts, and there were far fewer parts! Now, automakers are pressured to reduce cost and reduce weight, hence flimsy seat rails are not designed to last 40 years under any conditions...they probably are designed to last 20 years under "normal" use. All the trim pieces, body parts and other non drivetrain parts are much more light duty than I would like, but that is a sacrifice to fuel mileage. I have almost always gone with the most reliable brands and usually done ok.

#30 ·
I've read through this thread, and it's just another troll post of someone that doesn't like something, in this case about Nissan, so they come on the internet and post a lot of opinions that have no basis in actual fact. It has no redeeming value to this forum or anyone seeking information on a Murano, and is best left ignored.

#32 ·
Calling me a troll for sharing personal experience is plain rude.

To me, when the transfer case and propeller shaft both fail between 110 and 115K, it cannot be a coincidence. It’s more like ‘designed to fail’. MO seems to be less durable than I used to expect from a Nissan product (again, based on my personal experience going back as far as 1991).

I wish car makers were mandated to publish failure rates for all major components. Then we would know for sure who is trolling in this forum.

#31 ·
Mattski, you make a good point. In one of my earlier posts I referred to drinking CR's kool-aid.

In fact, I think their methodology is a bit flawed, in that they depend on owner recall. In addition, I think they rely more than a little a bit on owner interpretation of what they should report. I think there is a slight tendency to under-rate US made vehicle and over-rate imports. I suspect that in many cases a minor repair in someone's "valued, highly technical import" is disregarded and unreported, while a repair to their "US-made piece of junk" gets reported.

Of course, there are some who feel betrayed that their exotic european or Japanese machine has failed them, too...so maybe that now counter-balances the other reports.

But in any case, I have owned a couple of vehicles (1977 Chevy Monza and 1980 Chevy Citation) that CR thought would not only break down before they left the dealership, but probably also give you a social disease and cause environmental damage across multiple counties. Both of them were excellent performers; the Monza stayed in my family for more than 20 years.

#33 ·
I couldn't agree more. I worked in the auto industry for twenty five years. Customers would rant "never buy American again" at even the smallest problem and not say a word if their import needed repairs. If a domestic part failed the whole car was ****, if their import failed it was an anomaly and only that part.
I have also gotten good service from Consumer Reports cars rated poorly.
Olds Ciera, 160k. Two water pumps one altionator. Dodge Grand Caravan. 147k, rear brake lines, one water pump, one A/C relay, rear brake cylinders.
My Murano has been good so far. Flex pipes were a little expensive and rear brakes twice at 73k. My shop thinks the pads are not large enough causing them to wear out quicker. The body is still tight.

#34 ·
Another (small) quality fail...

At 48,000 km replaced the cabin air filter. The photo of the old (factory installed) filter is attached. It hasn't been properly installed and therefore never worked. Anticipate opinion that the filter was damaged on the way out. No, I knew what I was doing and it didn't look right the moment I removed the plastic cover.

Not that I'm suffering from dust, - but they sold me a car that (supposedly) had a cabin air filter. Engineered and made in Japan btw. Some smart ... designer for the way they install this filter...

Attachments

#38 ·
At 48,000 km replaced the cabin air filter. The photo of the old (factory installed) filter is attached. It hasn't been properly installed and therefore never worked. Anticipate opinion that the filter was damaged on the way out. No, I knew what I was doing and it didn't look right the moment I removed the plastic cover.

Not that I'm suffering from dust, - but they sold me a car that (supposedly) had a cabin air filter. Engineered and made in Japan btw. Some smart ... designer for the way they install this filter...
Well, so you moved a bit of dust through the cabin...and as noted above, it also trapped a fair amount of dust. Life continues. I wouldn't want this to happen with the engine air filter, but it's not a critical fault with the cabin filter. I'm sure you did a better job of installing the new filter.

#39 ·
When you are in an airplane, and your food tray is broken, you may start wondering if they service the engine likewise.

To my point, I wasn't complaining about the air filter - indeed not big of a deal. I was more pointing to the fact it was done at the Nissan assembly line in Japan.

And the worker knew he did it wrong (if you ever replaced the thing - you'd see the difference). This is just another indicator for the Nissan's attitude about quality.

#40 ·
And the worker knew he did it wrong (if you ever replaced the thing - you'd see the difference). This is just another indicator for the Nissan's attitude about quality.
Have you thought about trading for a nice BMW? :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.