Nissan Murano Forum banner

2009 murano alloy wheels loose air

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
after 6 winters in northeastern Ohio the alloy wheels have started to loose air due to rim corrosion from road salt. Only way to stop it is to remove tire and clean and reseal wheels. It seem to always be the inside of the rim. The Murano is hand washed regularly but I guess it has not stopped the rim corrosion. If anyone else has this issue this was our only fix.

#2 ·
We had this issue with my wife's Murano. The left rear tire would randomly start losing air. I took the tire off and checked it and couldn't fine anything in the tire and no holes. Ended up taking it to a tire shop and they said the rim was corroded. they took the tire off, sanded down the corrosion, re-seated the tire and it has been fine for a couple of months now. I have never had this happen to any of my vehicles before.

#3 ·
I had it with the rims on my Maxima when they got to be 4 or 5 years old. As stated above the tire shop had to sand the wheels and use a sealant around the tire bead. That stopped it, and then I sold the car and bought the Murano. I think all of these alloy wheels will do it eventually if you live in climes that salt the roads.

#4 ·
I haven't personally had that problem, but removing the tire, smoothing out the rim and coating it with some type of corrosion preventive (even a coat of Rust-Oleum paint) ought to help. I have seen the same thing occur with old steel rims that had bits of tire left on them from multiple mountings and dismountings.

#5 ·
Just had the same issue with my Titan. Got new tires and one was losing air. The shop removed the tire and used a wire wheel to remove corrosion. Fine after that.

#8 ·
Good note. If it's not the beads, then the TMPS are the best candidate.

There's always pulling the wheel off and using a tub of water or a hose to check for leaks yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.