Nissan Murano Forum banner

Reset the damned TPS?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Red 
#1 ·
We had a TPS glitch in the 2nd year, under warranty. Looks like it is back again. Good tire pressure all around, and the TPS has stayed on for almost two weeks. Is there some fuse that will power it off and let it reset? Or will pulling the battery cable reset that, along with lots of other settings that I don't care about, as long as that damned TPS goes out?

The senders in the wheels got new batteries less than two years ago, as I recall, so I'm betting on the TPS being nuts again. I don't care, I just want it off.

#2 ·
If you start the car and the TPS light flashes before staying on, it's a bad sensor or battery. Otherwise, as far as I'm aware, the dealerr has to reset it if it's not going off after filling the tires and driving a few miles. Let us know how you make out.

#3 ·
It wasn't flashing last week, but this week it did flash several times before staying on.

Sounds like a piece of electrical tape (ugh!) will fix that.

I hate wasting the time and money on a service call, just to turn off a light bulb.

#4 ·
Red what year is the Mo and how many miles? I have not heard of any batteries being replaced or other sensors going bad...may depend on how much use they get. My tire guy says the usually last 10 years under normal mileage (12-15k per year) and it is rare for them to fail...

#5 ·
It is a 2009, bought in 2010 IIRC with about 37k on it. And the second set of tires are less than two years old, at which time I thought the sensors had new batteries installed as well. Not sure on that, but I thought so. "Coin" cells can't really be expected to go more than five years in any case, whatever your tire guy feels about them.

So it could just be the batteries failing "on time". One reason I never had tire pressure sensors installed in my own last car, and I'm really tickled pink that the new one has a crude TPS system that actually uses counts from the ABS sensors instead of More Crap In The Wheels. (Crude because it is not as sensitive, and stupidly doesn't say WHICH tire, but neither does a 2009 Murano after they cheapened the TPS systems.)

Last time we had a need for service, the washer fluid pump had gone out, around 30k miles. And it took the dealer (DEALER) three service calls before they could replace it correctly, apparently the pump is now built into the bottle, which is installed in an arcane and obscure manner instead of with just two screws, and there's some o-ring that doesn't always seal the whole connection down properly....Don't ask.

I think my next car is coming from Barrett Jackson or Mecum. You know, the kind with no computers, no emission controls, and you can SEE, FEEL, and FIX just about anything with a good set of wrenches and screwdrivers?(G)

Remount a tire to replace a 50c battery what the dealer will charge (ahem!) for?? Nah, "Homey don't think so."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.