Nissan Murano Forum banner

Brakes & Rotors

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  nafddur 
#1 ·
Took my Murano to the dealer (shudder) today to get an oil change, they said that I should change the rear brakes, and rotors. Of course the cost to do it through the dealer is about $600.00 + taxes.

Can anyone recommend brakes and rotors for the 2009 Murano? I've got the 20" tires (if that makes any difference).

TIA

#2 ·
Any independent shop can (1) check the rear brakes, and (2) change them for you at much lower cost. For a pro, it's about a 60 to 90 minute job. The original brake pads are ceramic - not a bad idea to go with an OEM equivalent.

NOTE the word "equivalent". You do not need Nissan pads or rotors.

And FYI - you can do this in your driveway in one to two hours for under $100 if all you need is pads. At least on the first set of pads, you should not need new rotors.

#3 ·
Thanks - my mechanic (before he sold his shop) told me the same thing, dealers want to suggest items as it makes them more money... on the hunt for a independent shop that may allow me to bring my own parts.

#5 ·
When it comes to brake pads (I doubt you need rotors if the mileage is moderate) you won't save enough to make it worthwhile hunting around. Pay the guy a few bucks by letting him get them and mark them up a little. If you have a preference in pads, tell him.

#4 ·
Just for reference, the pads for all 4 wheels on my 04 SE were $50 the first time I changed them at 65K miles, and $0 (using the Auto Zone lifetime warranty) when I replaced them a 2nd time about 50K miles later. Granted, mine is a Gen 1 and I bought the first set of pads years ago, but I'd still say replacement pads for all 4 wheels on a Gen 2 will be under $100. Unless you are buying performance pads, of course.

And they are super easy to change.

#7 ·
OK, then you may be ready for rotors. That's valuable info. The shop can tell by checking the spec on rotor thickness (minimum thickness spec is cast into the edge of the rotor) and if the thickness is below that spec, it's time for rotors.

#9 ·
You probably can. Here's a hint: jack up both sides, get both sides on jackstands with the wheels off, but do only one side at a time. Then if you have any question about what goes where, you can go to the other side and check the assembly.

Also, YouTube and manuals have mucho information. A 10-second search on YouTube found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2AVEDUw8bU

Reactions: mos2009murano
#11 ·
Shims and pads are two different parts. Can you please explain more?

Pads have spring-loaded clips (perhaps called shims??) which hold them in position. Is that what you're talking about?

The clips normally do not need to be replaced.

#12 ·
What I call shims are sold at Nissan as hardware kit. For each break pad, there is a spring like bracket that pushes the pad away from the disk, And two flat pieces that go between the pad and the cilinder (on the outer side I think there is only one piece). There is special black compound applied between shims and pads, and a copper grease applied to the pad guiding surface of the spring clips

#13 ·
I think that the recommendation to replace the hardware kit on the Murano is often disregarded. I know that I have disregarded it in the past without problems. However, I'm no stranger to brake work and I do take a close look at all the parts and confirm that they fit and appear to operate properly.

This is the kind of recommendation that one might wonder about, in terms of whether it's actually needed or if the manufacturer is simply playing it safe and recommending that all parts of the assembly be replaced. I have my own opinion on that.

#14 ·
There is one potential issue with the springs, which is rust. The rust build-up between the spring and the knuckle may be narrowing down the path for the break pad, and preventing it from moving smoothly. Not much to worry about except for uneven wear.

I agree that the hardware kit - at least on the rear - can survive at least two pad sets. Front pads double the rear ones (5-6 years 100,000 km on my MOs), and there is more rust accumulated in 5 years - so I'd replace them.

#17 ·
When I had my pads replaced for the first time I thought I would save money buying Nissan pads and had them installed by a local shop. All went well initially and then over time they started squealing each time I applied the brakes. It got really bad. I went to my dealer who told me the pads had been changed without putting back the shims and that the rotors and pads would need to be replaced. I cannot recall exactly why the rotors also needed to be done but once they were all replaced the squealing stopped and hasn't come back. It was an expensive mistake letting the local shop do the initial work and ended up costing me a lot of money.

#21 ·
The normal reason for pads squealing is not missing shims or springs - although that can be a cause. But the most frequent reason is that the installer didn't put the correct high-temp grease or coating between the pads and the caliper pistons and mounting points. In most cases, fixing this problem is a 30 minute job that requires only pennies' worth of coating material. And in the process, you can see whether any parts (shims/springs) are missing.

Frankly, my friend, I think you were lied to. If the shims/springs hadn't been installed, there's no reason the dealer couldn't have installed the needed hardware kit and used the same pads. There's no reason at all to replace the rotors unless they're either scored or worn below minimum thickness.

Unless both your brake pads and rotors were worn out or visibly damaged, I think the dealer told you a story and got in your pocket for a lot of money.

#18 ·
Rockauto.com is your friend. Rotors and pads cost around $80 for quality replacements. $10 more for brake cleaner and brake grease.
You are paying a dealer $500 in labor for a 1 hour job.
There are certain things I buy from Nissan like ATF fluid; brake parts never.
Try to find an independent shop.
If you were near me, I charge $100 for that brake job. Good luck.

#19 ·
As a long retired person who still works on my cars for fun and as a hobby (and also someone who has done every speck of brake work ever needed on any of my cars for almost 50 years), I continue to be amazed by people who take their cars to dealers for brake work. Changing brake pads, rotors, calipers, and fluid is so simple for anyone who can use simple tools, paying dealer prices for that work is (again, IMHO) crazy.

Though I guess with the economic improvement our country has had the last 7 years, people can now easily afford that sort of thing, in which case all is good.

#20 ·
Economic improvement over the last 7 years???? HAHAHA Another one drinking the Obama koolaid:headshake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.