Nissan Murano Forum banner

Trailer Hitch

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  hppyfngy 
#1 ·
Need trailer hitch recommendation for a 2009 Nissan Murano with Aero Kit

#3 ·
Hitch...

I don't know how the aero kit may be affected by a hitch installation, but I put a Curt hitch on my '12 SL--piece of cake to do with no exhaust drop or jacking/lift needed. I also used the Curt wiring harness--plug and play with no problems.

See hitch pix attached...

Attachments

#5 ·
I just installed a Curt hitch system. There was no need to drop the exhaust and I was able to do it myself in 30 minutes on my driveway; I also bought the plug and play wiring harness. I bought all the parts from Etrailer.com.

My only advice is to really clean the frame nuts with a brush and thread chaser, especially if you live where it snows.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hey all...Just curious what kind of stuff ya'll have pulled behind the MO? I am considering a hitch, just for a small trailer for camping accessories/ etc.. Any one pulled a small boat/trailer or a heavy motorcycle?
I feel like if I pulled my boat with my Murano, it would shred that CVT lol. (Just for reference, I use a 2016 F150 for the boat NOT the Murano, im just curious)

Thanks and cheers!

JD

#9 ·
I put the hitch on my Mo to tow my now restored Honda cafe racer bike to car shows on a small trailer (cycle or utility). Am still looking for the trailer. I don't expect to tow more than 1,200 to 1,500 pounds, which should not tax the CVT system.

Reactions: BlackDahlia
#11 ·
I just got the Curt 13577 Class III and am getting ready to install.

You guys say you can do it without dropping the exhaust? I've seen the Curt video and it looks easy enough, but of course they drop the exhaust...

Any tricks to share?

#12 ·
Shoot penetrating oil into all the threaded holes in the body before you install the bolts. You might even trial-install the bolts once just to clean out the threads.

Have a torque wrench ready for the final bolt installation.

The exhaust system is trivial regardless - no big deal.

The Nissan wiring harness is the way to go - plugs into the spare tire well area and comes with the correct rubber plug for the floor pan.

#15 ·
Well, I got the Curt hitch installed with no problems, but the wiring harness is a problem.

I do not understand. I've seen the video, I can "plug and play" as well as any other idiot, but there is nowhere on either side to insert the "T" connectors. There is a wide, (a little more than an inch,) flat pigtail near the driver's side tail light, but that's all I can see.

Could there be more than one version of the wiring used in the 2011? Mine is FWD, w/o Nav, which are the only things I think are unusual.

#16 ·
IIRC on the 2007 Murano the connector for the factory harness was in the spare tire well, driver's side, closer to the back seat than the tailgate.

Which may be of no use to you at all...

#17 ·
Might though. I'll have to pull everything out for the third time to see. There's something screwy going on as Curt only sells one harness for all years, and for the life of me I could not find it. Twice.
But it's true, now that I think of it. I didn't look upstream as much as downstream.

Thanks. Third time's the charm, right?

#18 ·
Third time was not the charm, but I think I've figured out the error of my ways. I was watching a video of installation on a 2015, where the connectors you tap into are way down below the side panel, beside the tool wells. I wrongfully assumed they would be the same in mine.

Then I found a video for a 2011 and the connectors are much higher up inside the side panel. A PITA to get to by comparison, but should be doable. I haven't taken it apart for the fourth time yet to confirm, but am I right?

I believe I can get to what I need to reach without taking the whole deck out, but am I right that the harness needs to tap in way up inside the side panel, like the guy does in the video for the:

Sigh... I'm not usually this dumb, I just thought I had the wrong part... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.