Nissan Murano Forum banner

Transmission Questions

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GeoJB 
#1 ·
For the guru's, or any one else for that matter.
Is there a " type" of clutch in the trans.

I use the car for work, and average 100 miles per day. stopping and starting at patients homes, some times 12-15 times per day.

What I'm feeling, Every morning and often when I back up then Go forward. I feel a slight skip/shutter. This is happening more & more. It is even more pronounced when there are three of us in the car.
The only way I can compare it to, is; A standard car, the clutch is warped, and there is a shutter every time you take off from a stop. But when it's totally engaged (the clutch) there is no problem or no shutter.

So, again what does the trans do from a stop, initially starting off, to fully engaged?

I need as much info as I can get, when I go to the dealer (again) about this problem.

#2 ·
What you describe has been felt by many here, especially when accelerating from a stop very gently (something I seldom do, as my right foot must be heavier than my left.)

I'm not convinced that it's a sign of imminent problems or failure, but even though the transmission oil is commonly run for more than 100K miles, my own suspicion after a few years reading various stories here is that changing the transmission oil is a good idea when you start feeling that effect.

There is no clutch in the transmission. There's a torque converter and two drive sheaves with a metal belt using metal T-shaped links between them.

Here's a generic illustration of how the drive ratio changes in a CVT by moving the sheaves together and apart. Sorry that it's not in English, but it's the best illustration I could find. Incidentally, this is the same drive mechanism principle used in a Shopsmith multi-purpose shop tool.

#3 ·
Pilgrim you are correct!!!!! You know you schtuff...... LOL My compliments.

A couple of weeks ago my A/C went out. Had it repaired under warranty at the dealer (West Herr Nissan) A good bunch of folks.
While they where "in there". I had them replace the Serpentine belt, at 105k it's about time.
I also had them replace the Trans fluid. Kinda disappointing there was no filter. Not the dealer fault, "stupid engineers".
That was $150 for the fluid exchange. If I where to change it my self, buy thee recommended fluid from a dealer, it would have been $90 plus tax.
My thinking, have the dealer change it, if the trans fails they cannot find fault with me.

So, back to my point.

That little bit of shudder/slipping has been greatly reduced or gone. (maybe I'm still looking for it in the seat-o-pants dyno)
The transmission feels smoother, the laggy down shifting is eliminated, the seat-o-pants dyno tells me it's a bit quicker. and "perhaps" a slight improvement in the MPG.
Some may say the the improvement might come from the battery being disconnected therefore resetting the ECU. But no. There was no loss of the typical DIC info going back to Zero.
Thank you Pilgrim!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.