Nissan Murano Forum banner

clunking noise

18K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jkmac 
#1 ·
suddenly developed a clunking noise in the front end when accelerating from a dead stop. No noise if I ease in to it only when I start rather rapidly 2009 LE 28k

#5 ·
I drive 69 miles one way to work. There is one stop sign that is on a gradual hill and a bit slanted that mine does that clunk. Scared me at first but this is the only place it does it. It also only does it if I take off a little cast. I dont worry about it anymore since in all of my travels this is the only place it does it.

#6 ·
Sounds like motor mount. The torque required to get the car moving is shifting the engine and you hear a clunk as it drops back into place. Better get it taken care of.

#10 ·
Mine does that too. Had it inspected TWICE while still under warranty. I was told the technicians inspected numerous possible causes. Tightened everything to specs, no defects noted that were beyond factory tolerances. It's something that I live with. But, since it's no longer under warranty, I'm looking to trade vehicles at some point in the near future.

#13 ·
If it's under warranty, yes.

Otherwise, they use the TSB as a document to instruct on how to do the repair and charge you for the labor/parts.

Your MO's shouldn't be making this noise. If you're under warranty and it's happening, get it fixed! With the amount of $$$ you're shelling out to drive this vehicle, it shouldn't be behaving this way and you shouldn't have to "live with it"!

#14 ·
I'm getting a lot of clunking in the front end. I've noticed it more now that the roads are bumpy as hell with the snow we just had. It sounds like the front end is going to fall apart. I feel it in the steering wheel sometimes, so was wondering if it could be a part of the steering shaft; or should I just bring it to the dealer to look at (it is under warranty). It has been happening for a while, and now it's really bad.

#15 ·
My 2009 SL had this same issue. I took it in at 30k miles (before the TSB was released) and they could not replicate the issue. So now at 79k miles I decided I had enough of listening to it thump every time I took off from a stop. It was worse during the cold months, than summer. So, my dealer matched online prices for the mount at $160 (11270-1AA0E) and charged my 2.5 hours labor, $240, for a total of $400 to replace only the front engine mount.

In talking with the mechanic he said that they drop the engine cradle down just enough that they can get the mount out and put the new one in. I figured they would do it from above, but they appear to change it all from below the car.

Anyway, the car drives like it is brand new. The power appears to get to the ground faster now and no hesitation at any speed when putting the accelerator down. I believe it is well worth the fix and I wished I had done it sooner. I also wish Nissan would have paid for it back when it was under warranty. My car is a CPO with the CPO warranty but engine mounts are not covered.

#16 ·
Hi,

My 2012 Murano S also has this issue. There would be loud knocking sound from engine compartment on hard acceleration, especially when the car is cold. After driving for a while it disappears but will reoccur next morning or so. Do you suggest it's the engine mount problem? My previous 100k+ miles Accord has similar issue but this car has only 20k miles on it now. It's under warranty so should I go to dealer? How should I argue with them on this issue? Thank you for any comment.

#17 ·
It's difficult to define "hard knocking". Is it a single sound, or a repeated sound at some kind of interval? Does it sound like a sequence of sounds spaced close close together? does it sound like something is pressing against the car body and resonating?

If it happens once on hard acceleration, then it might be a mount. For some reason when my mounts (right and front) needed to be replaced, the sound was worse when cold. But it actually sounded more like the exhaust was pressing against the undercarriage and letting exhaust noise transfer into the body.

#20 ·
Thank you for the input. I went to dealer and mentioned that the issue has been there for almost a year and they finally 'find out' the front motor mount has failed. They replaced the front mount and now the car just drives much smoother.

However, I now notice clicking/cracking noise from below when backing up and turning slowly. Have anyone had this experience before? Thank you guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.