Nissan Murano Forum banner

Thoughts and opinions

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  adnanbabh 
#1 ·
Okay, I thought this would be the place where I can get the best feedback on my current dilemma. My '97 Pajero has come to an end, a fantastic vehicle but with 200 000 miles on it it's ready for retirement. As I've always wanted a SUV I've looked through many and found a used Murano to be the best value. Have in mind that this is from a european point of view so I guess it's a bit different; I'm from Bosnia.

Basically, the model I'm looking at is a 2011 Nissan Murano 2.5 dCi with 68000 miles on it. Used Muranos are here significantly cheaper than other SUVs of this class and there are very few of them. And diesel is the only option and the one I want considering the fuel economy. As this is a big decision for me financially, I need to be 100% sure. I've gone through many forums and boards and have noticed that the biggest fuss is on the (un)reliability of the CVTs. I've always been a manual transmission guy but since Muranos are only equipped with CVTs and other more expensive SUVs of this class are usually equipped with the conventional automatic if bought used. Yesterday I've taken this 2011 Murano at a very good local service for a check up (no authorized Nissan service in my town); they did a computer electronic check up and found no faults - it was reporting some cvt sensor issue but the guy in the service said it's probably nothing so we took it for a ride and did the checkup again and error was not found again. Mechanical check up was all clean, no leaks no rust; just the tube under the turbine could use a clean up but that's all. Mechanically and electronically it looks perfect. I took it for a test drive also and found the CVT a tad slow (everything is slow when you're driving manual for 40 years) but acceptable. But that's not my worry. My biggest worry is the CVT breaking down, which I've found on the internet to be the biggest problem. I'm terrified of that happening, first because of the unavailability of parts here in europe, especially in Bosnia. Everywhere I've read the only option then is replacing the whole thing which is really expensive, can't imagine what would it be in europe as in US you're talking of a 5000$ price tag. My nearest nissan service is 2hours away; I'm not sure they even do muranos but I'm sure even if they would do the CVT it would be waaay out of my budget. So, yeah, sorry for a long post but what is your opinion? Are cvt problems really that common? And that expensive? Should I worry about it?

I've literally fallen in love with this car but at the same time I'm quite scared. I can't risk it at this point.

Again, sorry for the long post.

See less See more
#3 ·
Halfway through your post I was saying to myself, "What's he worrying about, there's no CVT in that car!"

Take care!

Jim

#5 ·
I wouldn't take chances with a used Murano

I wouldn't take chances with used Murano, too big of a $$ risk. Not sure about Europe, but in my case it would likely be more expensive to drive a used one than a new one - because of all the costly transmission repairs. The drive train should last at least 200,000 without major breakdowns, but in reality it starts failing earlier.

#7 ·
I got the car! The trans turned to be a conventional 6speed auto so that's all great. The car drives wonderfully. Took it to service, changed all the oils, filters, brakes and everything. One thing that does annoy me though is a strange rattle noise from the dashboard on the drivers side, like it's coming directly from behind the gauges; it happens for a few seconds when i hit the gas hard, kinda annoys me. People at the service said it's definitely something from the dashboard as they went thoroughly through the trans, axles and engine and all and said it's all looking great. They said they would need to open the whole dash to find it so it would be an annoying fix but as it shouldn't hurt the car so I took it back as I need the car now. Would want to fix it sometime later though. MO is looking great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.