Nissan Murano Forum banner

Engage but no start diagnosis

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  KJAM2009 
#1 ·
No previous indication of any issues. Several 5-10 second push button starts without catching. I brought out the portable battery and then tried with cables on a jump start in case the battery had drained too much. Engine kept turning over solidly but still no start. Left it for an hour, same results. Last try before calling it quits was a long 15+ second try and it finally caught. It has started again without issue several times since.

bad gas? something with the starter? fuel injectors? Maybe once or twice per year we'll have a very minor hard start. It always starts on the second push. A couple times per year I'll put in the Nissan gas additive as a preventative measure. Hopefully just an one time gremlin never to return.

#2 ·
Have you used an OBDII reader to check for codes? A failure to start like that can be a sensor, lack of fuel pump action or a variety of other things. If there's an electronic reason, there should be codes.

You started in a good place by checking battery - the rule I use is to always figure out the simplest thing that could cause the problem and start there. But given the symptoms, I think you could use more info by getting any codes present.

OBD readers aren't that expensive, and AutoZone will probably read the codes for free. You can Google the codes to see what they mean.

OTOH - if you had some water in the gas, or something else that was a one-time event went on, you may be OK. I suspect you will know more in the next week or two if it happens again.

#3 ·
Yes on the OBD, been on my purchase list for a while. Never from day one has the CEL ever come on. I would think if a code is thrown would this light not come on?

#4 ·
Borrowed a veepeak obd, very slick bluetooth unit. Instant connection right to the phone.
These codes and sensors seem likely culprits to the issue experienced. Not sure where they are located, but will add to the rockauto cart for future.

Attachments

#5 ·
Hi had a similar issue in my 2011 mo today. Put it to bed fine last night. Go out and try to start and it turns over, tries to catch, but doesn't. Battery is fine. So as per the manual I did this:

"If the engine is very hard to start because it is flooded, depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it. Push the ignition switch to the ON position to start cranking the engine. After 5 or 6 seconds, stop cranking by pushing the ignition switch to OFF.
After cranking the engine, release the accelerator pedal. Crank the engine with your foot off the accelerator pedal by depressing the brake pedal and pushing the push-button ignition switch to start the engine. If the engine starts, but fails to run, repeat the above procedure."

That got it started, let it idle for a while. Now it is starting with a normal push of the button. However, if I blip the throttle, when it comes back down it wants to almost stall. So I am a little worried to take it out on the road.

I should add that no CEL is present. I tried using a wifi OBD reader, but it doesn't see any codes. Is it the TPS? Car has been pretty flawless up to now.

#6 ·
Good add to this thread. Didn't think about looking in the manual. Since our issue ,it has not come back, but I decided to order the sensor parts just in anticipation
of future event. Since learning about the sensors I did a check with the dealer and they have a $1200 bill for replacing all three sensors. My Rock Auto bill was $150
for the jobber parts. Not sure on the TPS - or did you mean CPS - crank/cam position sensors?

I also learned the CEL doesn't have to come on if a code is triggered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.