LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2013 Murano CVT fluid and filter change

Hello All,

Iím new to the forum.

Iím preparing for a fluid and filter change on our 2013Murano. Iíve done numerous fluid and filter changes on standardtransmissions, but this is my first CVT. Iíve searched the web for ďhowtoísĒ but find nothing for the 2013 model. Iíve seen photos of í08-í09models and the pan appears to be a stamped piece. On ours what I think tobe the pan is an aluminum cast finned pan, located more so to the drivers sideunder the tranny. Iím pretty sure that is the pan, but I want to be 100%before I tare into things.

Then also, does anyone have any torque specs for the panbolts. And if anyone knows a link I could find some photos at, it wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Question: why a fluid change? If it's a 2013 and you drive 10K miles per year, you're about 60,000 miles early.

But - since I had an 07 and the service recommendations may differ for the 2013, have you determined that Nissan calls for a fluid change at your current mileage? The CVT is not like other transmissions and the fluid change recommendations are quite different.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
~ 2009 they switched to the finned aluminum pan. I didn't bother to drop the pan; just drained old fluid from drain bolt. good to change the external filter also (behind driver front wheel well plastic panel).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

OK, but how about addressing the "why"?

Is this called for in the service intervals? You may know something that hasn't been shared here yet.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 12 Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
OK, but how about addressing the "why"?

Is this called for in the service intervals? You may know something that hasn't been shared here yet.

as to the "why"; it's his vehicle and if he wants to change it, so be it. if it has 30k on it, maybe it's early or maybe he's been towing or driving in snow/sand or up mountains or maybe he just doesn't believe in lifetime fluids and figures that with the Nissan's cvt issues (e.g., overheating leading to premature failure, etc.) and no real dedicated transmission fluid cooler on regular usa Murano models, that's it's cheap to change the fluid at 30k (or even every 30k) to be safe.

as to service intervals, 2011 service maintenance guide says if towing or driving on muddy roads, to replace every 24 months or 30k; then under cvt it says replace every 60k or dealer inspect. optional premium upgrade service calls for replacing cvt fluid every 30k or 24 months also.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

As to the first half of your comment, I agree; It's just that people come here with different levels of understanding about when to change fluids, and although of course it's up to the individual, we've had people come up with the idea of doing fairly expensive maintenance procedures LONG before they are actually needed. It's always fair to ask why!

The second part of the answer has the information I asked for; thanks for providing it. This is a substantial change from the recommendations in the earlier models, so having that information stated will be helpful to others who visit this thread.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
This is brew for disaster.

I seem to recall people talking about changing the CVT fluid in their MO's and it being a costly experience. I also recall one other post that someone said Nissan USA didn't recommend the flush during the scheduled maintenance because it tends to cause problems. With his in mind, unless a Nissan dealership highly recommends this driver changes his CVT fluid I would avoid doing it like the plague.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
This is brew for disaster.

I seem to recall people talking about changing the CVT fluid in their MO's and it being a costly experience. I also recall one other post that someone said Nissan USA didn't recommend the flush during the scheduled maintenance because it tends to cause problems. With his in mind, unless a Nissan dealership highly recommends this driver changes his CVT fluid I would avoid doing it like the plague.

it seems most likely that the OP is doing it himself, so he's looking at ~$20/quart w/ ~10-12 quarts and ~ $20 for the filter so total $250 for materials. doesn't sound too costly to me. OP never mentioned anything about a "flush"; he just talks about a fluid and filter change. dealerships aren't the end-all of knowledge; they'd like you to believe that they are so that you come there for service (since this is where they make the majority of their money). I see no "brew for disaster" or "plague" anywhere on the horizon for the OP for his cvt fluid and filter change; I forsee that if he keeps up with the service/maintenance that he'll most likely enjoy many years of trouble-free motoring ahead.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

There's no problem with a drain and refill. The controversial part of this is doing a power flush, which is a topic that divides many people. I've had a number of conventional automatics power flushed (on the advice of the best tranny guy I know) and they have all performed well afterwards. However, the word in the BMW ranks relative to my wife's 2009 328xi discourages power flushing, even though her automatic is a GM-based unit.

However, I don't know of any reliable objections to a simple drain and refill procedure for most automatics. It doesn't remove and replace all the ATF like a flush does, but it's a plus.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thank you for all the input, and verifying the drain plug and side attached filter.

I'm on the precautionary side, although I did let this slip too long. The mileage on the car is 71k and looking at the fluid it is in definite need of changing. It is a dark brown close to the color of motor oil. And I am checking the correct dipstick. I went to the dealer and picked up the correct fluid in the filter. And the parts guy told me that it's just drain the plug and change the filter.

I drained it this morning and seen that it was very dark, just like the color of motor oil. So hopefully there is nothing going on bad with the CVT.

I would like to put a magnet on the filter to help catch debris but I am not sure which port is the in or out. I think I'm going to cut the old one open to verify this. I know the magnet would be an overkill, but I can't see that it would hurt anything. Any comments on that?
post #11 of 12 Old 03-18-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Also...

When do you check the cvt fluid level? Engine running, in park, warm-hot fluid temperature?
Can't find this in the manual/user guide.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 PM

to OP, just do a double drain & fill very soon as this works out to ~ 75% new fluid total; i'm assuming that you got ~ 5+ quarts out when you drained, right?. no need to change filter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: