Nissan Murano Forum banner

Snapping and popping noises when braking

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  brannigan 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Our 2011 Murano SV with 78,000 kms has started to make snapping and popping noises in the brakes or suspension when I make low speed stops. I back out of the driveway, put the brakes on gently and 7 times out of ten I hear a creaking or snapping noise when stopping.

This also happens going forward and pulling up to a stop sign. I talked to my dealership but they haven't come across this before. It only happens when braking so I don't think it could be the suspension otherwise I would hear it going over bumps etc.

Any ideas out there ?

#2 ·
It looks 180 degrees different to me.

What comes to mind is that when you back up and brake, you transfer the car's weight from front to back on the car. That moves the springs, shocks and other suspension parts. Travel under normal motion doesn't transfer weight backwards, it goes FORWARDS when you brake. Those are two different sets of motions.

I'd look at springs, shocks and mounting points for front and rear shocks.

#3 ·
Hey, Fort Collins !
I've been there, nice town, great breweries !

Good point about shifting weight, it could be dry bushings in the suspension.
It certainly sounds like some type of linkage is making the noises.
It's going in next month for new rotors all around, I will have the service guys check
all that out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.