2009 Nissan Murano with a rusted subframe - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy 2009 Nissan Murano with a rusted subframe

Hello, everyone, I have a 2009 AWD Nissan Murano SL with 112k miles on it that's in very good condition with one major issue: I found out yesterday that the rear cradle is extremely rusted, and the subframe has sheared in two where it connects to one of the control arms for the rear driver's side wheel. It's still technically drive-able, but it's only a matter of time before the bolts start shearing off, and I've been told it might not be worth it to have a whole new subframe put in. Right now I'm in Alabama; the rust came from the previous owner, who lived in New York. I had it checked out when I got the car and asked about the rust but was told it looked superficial and shouldn't be a problem; apparently it was a lot worse than it looked back then (I got it a few years ago).

Other than that it's in great condition; breaks are brand new, wheels are good, never had a single problem with the engine, interior is good (though in need of a cleaning), a/c, everything works perfectly except the 6-CD changer, which I think is jammed. I really like this car a lot, but I'm a graduate student so I don't have a lot of funds and at this point I'm not sure what to do with it, or how much I could get for it if I did trade it in or something.

I'm getting it checked out tomorrow morning by a shop that's been touted as doing the best framework in town, but in the meantime, does anyone here know where I might should go from here? Is this the sort of vehicle I trade in (that's what the shop I just took it from suggested) or do I sell it to a salvage yard or what? If I did trade it in or something, how much might I be able to get for it? Lastly, do you guys think it might be worth it to fix it? I'd probably have to have the entire subframe replaced from the looks of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
You have a problem with that. If you sell it, you need to disclose the problem and that means it's not worth much. If you fail to disclose that major a problem, the buyer could lose control if the suspension fails and that's asking for a lawsuit.

I'd say you should either fix it or sell it to a wrecking yard for what you can get. It doesn't sound safe to drive, even if it's "driveable." Many cars that can move under their own power aren't safe to drive.

Another option: IF you can find a DIY buyer who wants to do the work himself, you should get more than a wrecking yard will give you.

It's a shame, considering how good the rest of the car sounds.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 7 Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You have a problem with that. If you sell it, you need to disclose the problem and that means it's not worth much. If you fail to disclose that major a problem, the buyer could lose control if the suspension fails and that's asking for a lawsuit.

I'd say you should either fix it or sell it to a wrecking yard for what you can get. It doesn't sound safe to drive, even if it's "driveable." Many cars that can move under their own power aren't safe to drive.

Another option: IF you can find a DIY buyer who wants to do the work himself, you should get more than a wrecking yard will give you.

It's a shame, considering how good the rest of the car sounds.
Thanks for your response!

When you say "not worth much," are we talking like $3k or like $200? It was bought for $16k, so I was hoping to be able to trade it in for a different, much cheaper vehicle (there are a couple around town I'm eyeing that are between $3k-$4k). Is this an achievable goal, or will this only fetch me a couple hundred bucks? I was hoping that the rest of the car being in such good condition might help me get more for it; before this I've literally never brought it in for anything other than a punctured tire (which has since been replaced).

I really feel like I'm in over my head here; I really have no idea about how car pricing, trading, or salvaging works, and because this problem is so serious I feel like I have very little time to learn or else the wheel's going to fall straight off.

Edit: According to the auto parts place I went to, it's currently safe to drive, but most likely will not remain that way for long. I'm thinking of selling it for parts since every part that isn't the rear cradle (and possibly the 6 CD changer depending on if there's just a CD jammed in there or if it's actually broken) is in very good condition; the engine could fetch something like $1000, and there are a whole lot of good other parts in there.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can you find out how much it is to replace the suspension cradle? The new Nissan part is around $550. Install will likely be the biggest part of the bill. It may not be as expensive as you are thinking. I know you said you're in a tight spot being a grad student, but if you fix it you will end up with a 112k mile vehicle that you know the history of and believe to be mechanically sound. If you go the $3k-$4k route, you may end up with a great car or it may break down the next week. Good luck with it
post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is a horrendous example of either the cheapening steel or the de-icing road chemicals , for not even ten years old I'd put money on the steel first. I'd love to see a picture from the OP as to how bad it looks. Not a warranty situation but I'd be on the phone with HQ corp affairs , you might luck out with some sympathy cash. This is safety not cosmetic. I know it the slimmest of chances for any good news on the phone, but I would go the extra and send a letter - no emails - with pictures and tell them you are filing a complaint with all the various government and consumer agencies plus a kicker of getting some media coverage on poor Nissan steel. Would be great if you are in a TV market with one of those consumer advocate type reporters, they love taking on the "man" for the little guy and getting a win . I hope this is just a one off but I will take some time for inspection on ours. I hope this problem doesn't have legs.

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Legs found. The power of the google.........

I-Team: Nissan Drivers Outraged Over Rust Problems « CBS Boston

a nissan problem not specific to the MO. Looks like my suggstion has been already done with predictable corporate answers. Definitely going to look underneath now.

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
A 100K mile vehicle with suspension unsafe to drive is worth hundreds of dollars to a wrecking yard, not thousands. It's worth more to a DIY type who would do the work himself. But if you put $16K into it recently, you're going to take a bath. No way it's worth half of that with a rusted out rear suspension.

A subframe isn't that big a deal - it's a part, and parts can be replaced. You can get quotes for the part and the labor; don't go to a dealer, they'll be twice the price. You can buy OEM parts online for less than a dealer sells them. You may be able to buy parts from a wrecking yard dirt cheap, but that's getting to a level that only a hard core DIY type would go.

The economics dictate doing a repair, but doing it as inexpensively as possible. Get the part and fix the problem. If you can DIY, then do so. If you have some grad student friends who are car guys, see if you can make a deal for them to take it on.

No one can write you a complete "how to" for this in a forum. All we can do is suggest options and you can check them out.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: