Tire Maintenance??? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Tire Maintenance???

As our 2009 LE hit 7012 miles, I got a tire maintenance message. I checked the owners manual, and it said the interval for tire replacement had been reached.

Unless it was telling me to start looking for the odd, 20 inch tires , is there another reason (like rotate the tires) or was it just a random message?

Thanks!
mark_e is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
njjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Are you sure it said tire replacement and not tire rotation?

Nissan recommends that you rotate the tires every 7,500 miles.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
njjoe is offline  
#3 Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered User
 
Stoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Tire Maintenance???

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_e
As our 2009 LE hit 7012 miles, I got a tire maintenance message. I checked the owners manual, and it said the interval for tire replacement had been reached.

Unless it was telling me to start looking for the odd, 20 inch tires , is there another reason (like rotate the tires) or was it just a random message?

Thanks!
Remember, you can change when the tire maintenance alarm comes in. I have mine set at 12000 Kms, and seeing that my bride drives the Mo most of the time she then tells me that the alarm is in.

2003 Silver murano
SL AWD
Sunroof
Sunroof deflector
Roof rack cross bars
Cloud rider lower grill
Bug deflector
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Stoker is offline  
#4 Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the Owner's Manual

I'm sure that it is intended to be rotation. But here is the direct quote from page 2-20 of the Owner's Manual...

3. Tire replacement indicator
This indicator appears when the set time comes
for replacing tires. You can set or reset the
distance for replacing tires. (See “TRIP COMPUTER”
later in this section.)


Not very ambiguous. That's what I get for reading the manual.

In any event, the reminder has been turned off. Hopefully this post will keep other people from being startled when it pops up and confused when they look it up.
mark_e is offline  
#5 Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
njjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: From the Owner's Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_e
3. Tire replacement indicator
This indicator appears when the set time comes
for replacing tires. You can set or reset the
distance for replacing tires. (See “TRIP COMPUTER”
later in this section.)

There are dozens of errors due to language translations in both the Owners Manual and Service Manual. However, this one ranks in the top-ten for absurdity.

You would think someone in America with a knowledge of automobiles would proof-read the documents before they are released to the publisher.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
njjoe is offline  
#6 Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered User
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps there is a replacement mileage that is just set too low. Something besides the rotation schedule?

2003 SL AWD Black
Gonzo is offline  
#7 Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
njjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo
Perhaps there is a replacement mileage that is just set too low. Something besides the rotation schedule?
How can you even begin to predict a tires replacement mileage when they are brand new? There are some drivers who got only 25,000 miles out of the Goodyear Eagles while others got twice that. There are way too many variables to reliably predict a tire replacement interval. I think someone in Japan goofed.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
njjoe is offline  
#8 Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't set it long enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo
Perhaps there is a replacement mileage that is just set too low. Something besides the rotation schedule?
Setting only goes as high as 20k...if those expensive, hard to find tires don't last twice that, there's something wrong with them.

I just think someone translating confused rotatation, suggested at 7k, about where it went off, with replacement.
mark_e is offline  
#9 Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered User
 
benhui86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Re: From the Owner's Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by njjoe


There are dozens of errors due to language translations in both the Owners Manual and Service Manual. However, this one ranks in the top-ten for absurdity.

You would think someone in America with a knowledge of automobiles would proof-read the documents before they are released to the publisher.

-njjoe
wats wrong w/ that sentence other than maybe mistaking replacement w/ rotating...
benhui86 is offline  
#10 Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
njjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 12,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Re: Re: From the Owner's Manual

Quote:
Originally posted by benhui86
wats wrong w/ that sentence other than maybe mistaking replacement w/ rotating...
Mistaking one word makes all the difference in the world.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
njjoe is offline  
#11 Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Montyz81
This is most definitely tire rotation. Mine went off as well and my deal told me that they had made sure it was set at 3500 and 7500 for the first oil change and Tire Rotation. I have one set for my air filter replacement as well.

1981 Datsun 280ZX Turbo
2006 Infiniti G35 Black on Black 6mt
2009 Murano SL AWD Loaded
2004 Armada SE (Sold)
2000 Maxima SE 5MT (Sold)
1997 Hardbody (sold)
1982 200SX (sold)
Montyz81 is offline  
#12 Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Member

 
Rudeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Can't set it long enough

Quote:
Originally posted by mark_e


Setting only goes as high as 20k...if those expensive, hard to find tires don't last twice that, there's something wrong with them..
In my experience, the larger, more expensive and hard-to-find tires tend to be the ones that do wear out the fastest. My wife’s previous car before the Mo was a Lexus IS. It had about 15K and the tires were in need of replacements (at $200 each). My BMW is similar. I have under 30K on it and the tires are needing replacement already. I use to run 60K miles on a good set of tires, but today’s these high-performance, low-profile tires just don’t last. Put them on a heavy SUV, and you can just for get about it!

--

RODNEY
Rudeney is offline  
#13 Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Re: Can't set it long enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudeney


In my experience, the larger, more expensive and hard-to-find tires tend to be the ones that do wear out the fastest. My wife’s previous car before the Mo was a Lexus IS. It had about 15K and the tires were in need of replacements (at $200 each). My BMW is similar. I have under 30K on it and the tires are needing replacement already. I use to run 60K miles on a good set of tires, but today’s these high-performance, low-profile tires just don’t last. Put them on a heavy SUV, and you can just for get about it!
Hopefully in the next year or two, there will be more choices available!
mark_e is offline  
#14 Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Moderator
 
Corin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Re: Can't set it long enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudeney


In my experience, the larger, more expensive and hard-to-find tires tend to be the ones that do wear out the fastest. My wife’s previous car before the Mo was a Lexus IS. It had about 15K and the tires were in need of replacements (at $200 each). My BMW is similar. I have under 30K on it and the tires are needing replacement already. I use to run 60K miles on a good set of tires, but today’s these high-performance, low-profile tires just don’t last. Put them on a heavy SUV, and you can just for get about it!
Well, that also depends on the type of tire, not necessarily the size. For a Lexus IS and BMW, you're probably looking at really sticky high-performance summer tires, which certainly won't last very long (and they're not designed to).

Nearly all the tires available for the Murano are all-season tires that SHOULD hold up a lot better than a high-performance sport tire.

~ Corin

----------------------------------------
2005 MO SL AWD, Platinum w/ Charcoal Cloth, Sunroof Pkg, Tow Pkg, StonGard, Stainless "Z" Grill, air horns, ipod magic box, Garmin c320, Carseat
2014 Nissan Leaf (My second one)
Corin is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On