2009 Murano Occasional dead battery - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 Murano Occasional dead battery

2009 Model, purchased in February - Every so often the battery is dead in the morning. Dealer is unable to find any drains or issues. Anyone else having this issue? Jump it and its fine until next time, could be few days or few weeks. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Accutim-

I would opt for a new battery and see if that corrects the problem.

Since you have had your MO for less than one-year the battery replacement will cost you nothing.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 01-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Re: Occasional dead battery

Quote:
Originally posted by Accutim
2009 Model, purchased in February - Every so often the battery is dead in the morning. Dealer is unable to find any drains or issues. Anyone else having this issue? Jump it and its fine until next time, could be few days or few weeks. Thanks.
I encountered this when I replaced my OEM battery. The new battery died about two weeks after I installed it. So I thought the new battery was bad and had it replaced with another new one. The second new battery died about one month later. No warning, it just died! This time, the car was inside the garage, head first so I could not pull another car next to it to jump it. So I used my trickle charger instead and charged it for 24 hours. Well, I am not sure why but it has been almost a year and it is doing just fine! Maybe that is what you should try as well.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#4 Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 AM

If you have not done any mods to the MO and the dealer can't help I would then call Nissan. Obviously it isn't anything you are doing and it isn't normal for this to be occuring. They need to spend some time finding the issue of your dead battery.

Have they tested the alternator to make sure its output is good? What about a load test on the battery?

2003 SL AWD Black
#5 Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks - No modifications to car, all stock. Dealer checked battery, alternator, and parasitic drains, no issues found. I was wondering about swapping the battery, will request that if it happens again, and I will open a report with Nissan corporate. To give my wife peace of mind, I bought a portable battery jumper and put it in the back, absolutely a shame for a brand new car. Thanks for the replies.

Update: Died again, walked to dealer and insisted they get car. After that they swapped the battery, been no issues for 2 months. HATE the dealer! I gave an honest service survey. They made us jump through hoops instead of replacing the battery.
#6 Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Accutim
I bought a portable battery jumper and put it in the back, absolutely a shame for a brand new car.
I would call Nissan Consumer Affairs (800-647-7261) and tell them that very same thing. It is a shame.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#7 Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM

The MO will drain the battery if you leave the ignition on.
#8 Old 11-28-2010, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Sorry to dig up yet another old thread but can you tell us if this battery did in fact fix your problem now that its been a while? I've got a 09 Murano in the shop with the same exact problem, battery "allegedly" dies by itself sometimes for no reason and i can't find anything wrong with it. I've already replaced the battery in it once earlier this year.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#9 Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Pull, clean and tighten (really tight) the battery cables. Mine was not starting, dealer couldn't find anything. I removed terminals, tightenmed really tight and haven't had the problem in several months.
#10 Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Could it be the battery cable? I had a problem like this in my old Durango. I replaced the battery cable that went from the battery to the starter. Never had a problem after that.

Also check the ground cable too.

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#11 Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 AM

Trust me i've checked everything. It has not died on me the whole time its been in the shop. Its hard to fix something when you can't duplicate the problem.

04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#12 Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Update

Well, just happened again, exact same story, would just go dead, jumped it and took it to dealer at Thanksgiving, at that time they gave me the same "nothing is wrong", then at Christmas it died again, jumped it and they replaced the replacement, and charged me $50.00 proration, stating it was just out of full warranty, and as soon as they replace the motor mounts I had to complain endlessly about, I will be calling Nissan and again reporting this terrible, S.E. Florida Nissan dealership.
#13 Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Charging you 50 bucks as a prorated amount is BS if the car is only 1 1/2 years old. If they keep giving you that nissan oem battery where you have to keep adding water for the life of it then you are practically paying for a new one. I'd rather pay costco that 50 bucks a get a 3 year complete replacement if it fail warranty and its a maintenance free battery. Its all wrong. Make nissan refund you that prorate amount since its been a recurring issue. Costco will start over the 3 year warranty whenever you change the battery you bought from them. The dealer probably gave you one of their used batteries anyways.
#14 Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 AM

They won't refund a prorate charge. And its not just Nissan, any battery retailer will charge a prorate charge based upon useage. Batteries, like tires, are wear items and they do carry a prorate charge after a certain amount of time.

04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#15 Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 AM

Ok so i thought i would update you guys on the Murano i've been dealing with. We ended up replacing the 550CCA replacement OEM battery to a 700CCA battery, and replaced the plastic evap vent control valve to an updated metal casing vent control valve that consumes less amperage while doing its engine off pressure test of the evap system. So far its been about a month and the customer hasn't returned so im guessing its fixed.

After speaking with several nissan technical assistant techs, we came to the conclusion that the battery is too small for the amount of current it takes to start the engine and its accessories, and the customer just doesn't drive it far and long enough for the alternator to charge it so a larger capacity battery should help aid in stronger cranking with less recharge time. The vent control valve is something that they've been experimenting with especially on the GTR where the old style seems to drain more power with the engine off, this new style drains alot less power so that should help too.

04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: