3rd-Party Crossbars - Opinions? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3rd-Party Crossbars - Opinions?

I'm in the market for a set of 3rd-party crossbars to attach to the factory roof rails on my '09 Murano S AWD. I'm not a fan of the Nissan crossbar option (while I'd like a stock aesthetic, I would prefer something a little stronger). Has anyone purchased Yakima or Thule crossbars for their '09 Murano? I'm considering the 3 rack systems that the Yakima and Thule websites recommend, and would love to hear impressions from owners regarding fit and ease of use on their Muranos.

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-sys.../lowrider.aspx

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=2&sku=450

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.as..._id=2&sku=450R

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am looking for the same thing. Take some pictures and give some reviews after you get them.

The nissan cross bar and the aftermarket are all about the same price. So it just a matter of aesthetics.

Personally I think the Thules one look better.
#3 Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Wow where did you find the Thules at about the same price? I have a 2012 SV with the roof rails standard. I was looking for crossbars, and the OEM Nissan ones are available for about $150. I checked out the Thule website and their crossbars are fabulous.. BUT: the plain thule bars are $280 and the really nice "Aero" seem to be >$300. I checked another site and they had the 'feet' for $170 and it said you had to buy the aero-bars separatelyl [antoher $130]. Is there some less expensive way to get the THules -- I really liked them [at least from the pix and the reviews]. Is there some other good aftermarket crossbar setup that's closer to the OEM price? Thanks!

/Bernie\
2012 Murano SV
#4 Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

I have a pretty good collection of Thule hardware that I use on my vehicles. I prefer the rectangle shaped bars that Thule uses to Yakima's round bars. I have super wide bars that I used on my 07 and now on my 11 to carry both my big Thule box and a kayak on vacation. I also have Yakima ski carriers that I have on my Thule bars on my Jetta for the winter. Yakima stuff is just as well built as Thule, IMO, I just prefer the Thule stuff.
#5 Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
You can often find this stuff on Ebay - sometimes if you have the clamps to grab the side bars, you can buy crossbars at a good price.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Wow where did you find the Thules at about the same price? I have a 2012 SV with the roof rails standard. I was looking for crossbars, and the OEM Nissan ones are available for about $150. I checked out the Thule website and their crossbars are fabulous.. BUT: the plain thule bars are $280 and the really nice "Aero" seem to be >$300. I checked another site and they had the 'feet' for $170 and it said you had to buy the aero-bars separatelyl [antoher $130]. Is there some less expensive way to get the THules -- I really liked them [at least from the pix and the reviews]. Is there some other good aftermarket crossbar setup that's closer to the OEM price? Thanks!
Your right, aftermarket aero bars are going to cost plenty.
I searched from one end of the net to the other and the best deal I could find was from ORS Racks Direct, using a discount coupon.
I bought Yakima Whispbars,
Whispbar Racks by Yakima - 2012 Whispbar Rail Bar Roof Rack System for Factory Side Rails
and with couple bike holders, dropped just over 500 bucks.
Not cheap.
One more thing to consider. With bike racks on I can't open the sunroof,
because the low profile.
Of course that was before the sunroof exploded , but thats another story
#7 Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM

I recommend the Thule bars, I've had mine for going on 10yrs now and have used the same bars on three vehicles (all Nissans) with no problems. I've carried bikes, luggage carriers, and furniture and the rubber coating on them still looks good.

2010 LE AWD Black, 36,521 miles: SOLD - Thule bike rack - foglights - navigation - stainless rear bumper guard - Bose stereo w/9 gig musicbox - lighted doorsills - hood protector - power liftgate - heated power folding rear seats - backup camera - Bluetooth - push button start - tinted windows - dual sunroof - iPod hookup - SiriusXM radio - cargo cover ... more to come. Also in the stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser, showcar, donut maker.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: