Sometimes LE Will Not Start - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes LE Will Not Start

2009 LE with 10K miles. Occasionally, wife says car will not start. Brake is pressed, button is pushed, no start. I said, yea, sure. Your fob is in your purse and not close enough to be identified. She started moving her purse closer to dash. Happened to her again. Incidentally, the car starts on the 3rd or 4th try. I replaced
her fob battery. Then, when she was in the garage, prior to an errand, it happened again. This time, I tried to start it with my fob. No start. When the brake is applied and button pushed, it goes through the drill; guages move, light up, diagnostics flash, hear a chattering under the hood near the driver side windshield wiper. Called and scheduled a dealer service visit. They could not make it do it. Said they put diagnostic machines on it. No dice. That was two weeks ago. Took 1700 mile trip, everything okay. Happened again today. Started on the 3rd try. I guess the thing will have to crash entirely before dealer can determine what's wrong and fix it. I think it may be an intermittent open circuit somewhere. Chattering relay says it's receiving a signal, but not starting. So much for starting confidence. Anyone have a similar problem or idea? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
love the keyless start. They're great...until they don't work. I suspect that troubleshooting these will be difficult. Dealers don't do well on electrical SNAFUs.
#3 Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
SMenasco-

From what I have experienced, most dealership mechanics are best characterized as "part-replacers" that rely on error codes to direct them to the purported source of a problem. Hands-on trouble-shooting is rarely practiced. Because of this I would not rely on your dealership to locate the source of your intermittent problem.

I suggest you plunk down $20 for a Nissan service manual and identify and eliminate the suggested causes. Trust me, it will be $20 well spent.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by njjoe
SMenasco-

From what I have experienced, most dealership mechanics are best characterized as "part-replacers" that rely on error codes to direct them to the purported source of a problem. Hands-on trouble-shooting is rarely practiced. Because of this I would not rely on your dealership to locate the source of your intermittent problem.

I suggest you plunk down $20 for a Nissan service manual and identify and eliminate the suggested causes. Trust me, it will be $20 well spent.

-njjoe
+1 I essentially always figure out the problem using service manual before I go in, if I have to use the dealer. Once the warranty is done, or for maintenence, I do it myself. I've done this since about 1973.
#5 Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM

I have no interest in buying a service manual. I just want the dealer to fix it. It happens about every other day and will eventually start on the 3rd or 4th try. This is my first Japanese car and I tell you I'm about 2 minutes away from unloading this bronze lump of foreign ****. More and more I think I should have stayed with an American car.
#6 Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SMenasco
... This is my first Japanese car and I tell you I'm about 2 minutes away from unloading this bronze lump of foreign ****. More and more I think I should have stayed with an American car.
Then do it..... If you don't like the car then there's no reason to keep it.

Someone on here might be able to help you with this or might not. But what are you gonna do when you find an oil spot underneath it??? You might cuss it and bang it and thrash it before it's evident that the spot was there from a previous car. But to you it'll still be a POS Jap Crap. Your mind is already set, why work against it when you could do yourself a favor and send it back to get a POS UAW Crap instead??
#7 Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PopsCA

Then do it..... If you don't like the car then there's no reason to keep it.

Someone on here might be able to help you with this or might not. But what are you gonna do when you find an oil spot underneath it??? You might cuss it and bang it and thrash it before it's evident that the spot was there from a previous car. But to you it'll still be a POS Jap Crap. Your mind is already set, why work against it when you could do yourself a favor and send it back to get a POS UAW Crap instead??
Way to call 'em the way you see 'em, Pops!
#8 Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazM3

Way to call 'em the way you see 'em, Pops!
It's a dadgumned shame there's so many crappy service depts that give these cars a bad rep. His problem isn't that bad IF the dealership will provide adequate service repairing it. I'm VERY thankful for the great dealerships here but there's alot of others around that really shouldn't be allowed to operate as they do.

If I hadn't had great experiences with the Nissan dealers here working on my Supra in the past when Toyota wanted to gouge my wallet deeper than it reached, I wouldn't have bought Nissan either. But since they're great, I own 2 Nissans and there's a few more in the family. For us, it's not the car that's great, it's the Service. It's too bad it's not that way everywhere.

The starting problem is in the security somewhere. Possibly in the key or the BCM?? Either way, it's not rocket science and the dealership should've at least investigated it further before replying with "Could not duplicate". Personally, I usually have the Tech sit or ride with me so I can show him the problem which helps us both out alot. Not all dealerships are that courteous though.
#9 Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM

It's a nice car, just frustrated with the problem that the dealer can't seem to identify. I'll just wait until it gets to where it won't start at all. I thought my original post would result in a reply from someone who might have experienced this problem. Perhaps I deserved the aggressive dressing down.
#10 Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PopsCA

It's a dadgumned shame there's so many crappy service depts that give these cars a bad rep. His problem isn't that bad IF the dealership will provide adequate service repairing it. I'm VERY thankful for the great dealerships here but there's alot of others around that really shouldn't be allowed to operate as they do.

If I hadn't had great experiences with the Nissan dealers here working on my Supra in the past when Toyota wanted to gouge my wallet deeper than it reached, I wouldn't have bought Nissan either. But since they're great, I own 2 Nissans and there's a few more in the family. For us, it's not the car that's great, it's the Service. It's too bad it's not that way everywhere.

The starting problem is in the security somewhere. Possibly in the key or the BCM?? Either way, it's not rocket science and the dealership should've at least investigated it further before replying with "Could not duplicate". Personally, I usually have the Tech sit or ride with me so I can show him the problem which helps us both out alot. Not all dealerships are that courteous though.
Yeah, I know what you mean about undertrained techs that aren't much more than parts changers, doing only what the computer tells them to do. I usually try to talk to the tech or have them ride with me to show them an intermittant problem.

+1 on Nissan's newer stuff. I replaced my wife's 2003 Murano with a 2009, and I still have my early production 2004 Armada. I'll keep it around for a LONG time for towing. I no longer use it for daily use. Good to see you over here, as well as on Club ARMADA!
#11 Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 AM

I bet you, if that issue happens in my MO here in Costa Rica, or I try to fix it by myself or I need to send the car back to Japan, I dont think our unique dealer here is ready to handle this kind of issue, as you said before, they are just a bunch of replacement parts guys.

2010 MO Limited Edition (LE version for Costa Rica), AWD, CVT with Shiftronic (6 Manual gears), Leather, I-key, power gate, Entertainment DVD, rear camera, BIXeon, power rear seats, power side mirrors, hidden hitch, Bel RX65 antiradar, OEM cargo mat
#12 Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It's a nice car, just frustrated with the problem that the dealer can't seem to identify. I'll just wait until it gets to where it won't start at all. I thought my original post would result in a reply from someone who might have experienced this problem. Perhaps I deserved the aggressive dressing down.
I ran a search for "Intellikey" and "Keyless Entry" but didn't find anything. There's a new Armada owner who's experienced the same problem but the cause is still unknown.

The only thing I can even guess at is that when I had a loaner with it, I was told that the battery in those intellikey fobs has to be charged. The dealer told me they sometimes run low and need to be plugged into the holder while driving for a few days so it can re-charge. Looking at the key, I have no idea how that's possible because i didn't see any metal contacts but maybe they're right???

I hope it gets fixed. It really stinks to drop the large amount of cash that today's cars cost and not be happy with it. We just had our Lemon Law ammended here last week to include "Trade for equivelent valued vehicle" and "Return for refund" clauses in the law.

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazM3
Good to see you over here, as well as on Club ARMADA!
Yea, really nice to see you here too.
#13 Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Senior Member

"chattering"??

A dirty battery connection maybe??

'07 SE black/black, Everything but OEM NAV
Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" in dash with OEM backup camera/ factory displays
Valentine One
GROM IPOD/USB/AUX audio interface with Bluetooth

Former owner:
'03 SL
#14 Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
.... When the brake is applied and button pushed, it goes through the drill; guages move, light up, diagnostics flash, hear a chattering under the hood near the driver side windshield wiper...
Quote:
Originally posted by ekaxel
"chattering"??

A dirty battery connection maybe??
That could be a bad battery too, couldn't it?? Good catch!!!!
#15 Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM

When I first came to check the new MO at the dealer and tried to start it, the chattering noise came up, no start, at the dealer!?!?!? it happened to my 04 MO and was fixed replacing the battery, the salesman who already sold me several Nissans told me that this is happening because many people came to check the car, turn on the radio with high volume, leave doors opened, turn on the DVD system and looks a NISSAN video por 3 minutes, open and close several times the automatic gate door and this happening several times a day, but no one start the car the recharge the poor battery, he replaced the battery right there and the problem is gone.

2010 MO Limited Edition (LE version for Costa Rica), AWD, CVT with Shiftronic (6 Manual gears), Leather, I-key, power gate, Entertainment DVD, rear camera, BIXeon, power rear seats, power side mirrors, hidden hitch, Bel RX65 antiradar, OEM cargo mat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: