Major oil leak, 2010 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Major oil leak, 2010

Vehichle has 3200 miles. Oil light came on. Stopped at gas station and was told your a quart low. Oil was put in. Next day, oil light came on again. Took car to dealer. Rep had me look at car on lift. Entire undercarriage was soaked with oil. Turns out valve cover gaskets were leaking. Parts had to be ordered. Was informed they were back ordered. Complain to Nissan directly. Parts arrived, vehichle was fixed.....(for now, anyway) however oil smell lingers when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Frustrating, yes but it is fixed. Any seal will eventually fail. You got a bad one. It's gone now. Enjoy the car!
#3 Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Have the engine cleaned (the dealer should should have done) to get rid of the smell (and bad memories)

2003 SL AWD Black
#4 Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

steve-

Welcome to the forum!

Both valve cover gaskets were bad?

I agree with Gonzo. I suggest contacting the dealer and insisting that he clean the oil from the engine block, firewall, and underside of the body. Otherwise it will smell for a long time and the oil will only end up collecting dirt and turning everything to gunk.

A car as new as yours should still be pristine under the hood and under the body.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM

njjoe:
according to repair order, both valve gaskets were relaced. I will make another appt. to have the engine cleaned.....again. I agree, the car should be put back into prisitine condition.
#6 Old 03-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Tototally with only 3200 miles it still should have that new engine smell.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

2003 SL AWD Black
#7 Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by steve1
njjoe:
according to repair order, both valve gaskets were relaced.
Did the dealer give any plausible explanation as to why both valve cover gaskets were leaking?? I can understand maybe one leaking, but certainly not both.

How long/far did you drive your MO with the oil light on?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#8 Old 03-27-2010, 12:53 PM

No explanation other than during manufacturing they got crimped.
As far as the oil light......it was the maintenance oil light...as opposed to the red oil light. I had a 2007 murano and was somewhat familiar with the notification system as it pertains to oil changes. At first I thought that was the root of the problem. On the 2010 your able to disable the light......and not have it come back on until you restart the engine. This happened for a day before I finally got wise and headed for the dealer.
#9 Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM

J automakers don't provie the same high quality as they used to in late 80's and early 90's. After their economic bubble bursted, all J automakers started hiring lower cost labors from S.E. Asia and Brazil. As a result, they lost the edge on quality control. Oil leak and my MO's tranny leak are kind of issues we ued to hear from Chevy owners. Now Korean autos may have better quality than J cars. I have driven many latest model Hyundai Sonata (rental car), and I was impressed by the quality. Sooner or later, Koreans will kick Japanese.

Smily
2009 Murano S
2004 Scion xA
2004 BMW R1100S
#10 Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by smilygo
J automakers don't provie the same high quality as they used to in late 80's and early 90's. After their economic bubble bursted, all J automakers started hiring lower cost labors from S.E. Asia and Brazil. As a result, they lost the edge on quality control. Oil leak and my MO's tranny leak are kind of issues we ued to hear from Chevy owners. Now Korean autos may have better quality than J cars. I have driven many latest model Hyundai Sonata (rental car), and I was impressed by the quality. Sooner or later, Koreans will kick Japanese.
Totally agree with you and Koreans are catching up very quick. I'm waiting on the redesign of their Santa Fe (a great contender to the MO) to see what it looks like and what it'll offer as I'm already looking for the next replacement but I just can't get that FX out of my mind There Japan definitely has an advantage. I just won't settle for anything less than the sexiness of my MO

SLVER
-----------------
2004 SL AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: