Check engine light on - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check engine light on

The "check engine soon" light came on in my '09 Murano with 8300miles. I took it to the dealer and they said "the fuel sending unit needs replacement and they have to order the part". When I got in the car to come home the check engine light was not on and the fuel sending unit must be working fine because the gas guage is reading acurately. How can it be the fuel sending unit is bad when the light is now out and the fuel guage is readiing accurately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Senior Member

The "fuel sending unit"...typically called the fuel pump, has nothing to do with the gas gauge.

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 ThunderBird 2 passenger Runabout

HAD The GOLD RUSH until Nov 6 2009
2003 Gold SLFWD with Premium, Sunroof, Latte Leather, Ultrashield Invisible Bra, Sunroof wind deflector, Aluminum Tank Guard, Chrome Wheels by Ion Alloy, Michelin 235/65-18 Cross Terrains, Garmin Nuvi

2008 Cadillac Gold Mist DTS LUX III - Gone!
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 - Gone!

"Didja ever notice that quiet people are not the only ones who don't say much?"
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I have never heard of the "fuel pump" called the "fuel sending unit". To me the fuel sending unit is the float located in the gas tank that sends an electrical impulse to the fuel gauge to determine the fuel level. There are no symtoms to me that either unit is bad. The "check engine" light has not come back on since it was looked at. If you look up "fuel sending unit" it is the float in the tank.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 PM

It could also be an intermittent failure. I had a problem with our minivan where it would "hickup" and buck several times a day. Occasionally the check engine light would come on, but reset itself long before I could get it to a dealer to check it. Dealer could never find anything wrong.

Finally found the problem by buying a CarChip - device that plugs onto your OBDII port and logs all kinds of engine paramaters and trouble codes. It finally logged a error code for the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor. $90 for a new sensor and 10 minutes of my time (the sensor conveniently sits on top of just about everything in the engine bay) and that fixed the problem we had had for almost a year and multiple trips to the dealer did not solve.

I bought the CarChip used on eBay for ~$50 and it really did the trick.

--jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordo36
I have never heard of the "fuel pump" called the "fuel sending unit".
That is because "fuel pumps" cost $59 and are available at any auto parts store while "fuel sending units" cost $600 and can only be found at the dealership. Nissan obviously prefers the latter.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Maybe the float got stuck for some reason. Then after hitting a bump or something it dislodged. Just keep an eye on it and let the dealership do their thing. It won't cost anything out of your pocket anyway.

If it was the gauge cluster the needle would have stuck without the error light coming on.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM

Re: Check engine light on

Quote:
The "check engine soon" light came on in my '09 Murano with 8300miles. I took it to the dealer and they said "the fuel sending unit needs replacement and they have to order the part". When I got in the car to come home the check engine light was not on and the fuel sending unit must be working fine because the gas gauge is reading accurately. How can it be the fuel sending unit is bad when the light is now out and the fuel gauge is reading accurately.
- The fuel pump is not typically called a sending unit - but they are many times sold as an assembly in vehicles where the sending unit and pump are housed together in the fuel tank.

- The sending unit has everything to do with the fuel gauge. The gauge requires the sending unit for operation. The fuel pump however could easily fail yet your gauge could still give you accurate fuel level readings..

- If you had an issue with the fuel pump, I would truly hope your dealer "would not" send you home in your Mo...

Was the gas gage giving you indications of inaccuracy prior to the check engine light illuminating? Either way, the dealer probably checked the code that was saved and it pointed to the sending unit. Near a hundred different parameters can cause a check engine light on new cars. Did you gas up with the Mo running or not tighten the gas cap - that too can set off a code and illuminate the CEL.

Bottom line, the CEL is now out due to your dealership canceling/erasing the code. Just let them replace the sending unit and go from there.

Cheers

2009 LE
Glacier Pearl
post #8 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

When the check engine light was on I never had any indication that either the fuel pump or the fuel pump sending unit was a problem. Since the car is under warranty I'll let them put in the new fuel sending unit when it comes in.
Thanks for the replies.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Today my gas guage on the cluster was down on empty- the alert came on for low gas- the numerical on the cluster and center console showed the proper 300 miles to empty - drove out of my community and over a few speedhumps and the guage didnt move- at the stop I turned the car off and back on and it is all good.

odd eh, thought I would share :-)
post #10 of 11 Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Xadion
Today my gas guage on the cluster was down on empty- the alert came on for low gas- the numerical on the cluster and center console showed the proper 300 miles to empty - drove out of my community and over a few speedhumps and the guage didnt move- at the stop I turned the car off and back on and it is all good.

odd eh, thought I would share :-)
That in fact sounds like the sending unit rather than any issues with fuel pump/instrument cluster. Could be an intermitent short, like a pinched wire, or just palin defective unit. Best let the Dealer replace and keep your eye on fuel level.

Cheers!

2012 Infiniti FX 35 Midnight Mocha
2010 Lexus GS 350 AWD Smokey Granite Mica
2009 Murano LE Silver (gone)
2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Flint Mica (gone)
2005 Lexus RX 330 Thundercloud (gone)
2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD Flint Mica(gone)
2001 Lexus RX 300 (gone)

The Second Amendment, America's Original Homeland Security
post #11 of 11 Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Re: Check engine light on

Quote:
The "check engine soon" light came on in my '09 Murano with 8300miles. I took it to the dealer and they said "the fuel sending unit needs replacement and they have to order the part". When I got in the car to come home the check engine light was not on and the fuel sending unit must be working fine because the gas guage is reading acurately. How can it be the fuel sending unit is bad when the light is now out and the fuel guage is readiing accurately.
FYI: My check engine light on my 2010 LE came on several times, and I took it to the dealer 2x to get it fixed. They replaced the gas cap the first time and then had to troubleshoot further when that didn't work. Turns out it was the Evaporater Vent Control Valve. They had to get with Nissan Technical to solve it and from what I understand from the dealer, they had several complaints from owners regarding this issue.

-Busted Yuppie: If I own it, I get to fix it too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: