Nissan Murano Forum banner

Privacy Glass UV protection (OEM tint %)

49K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  Chrisbdroid 
#1 ·
I'm planning to get UV/tint film installed and I was curious about the native UV protection provided by the MO's privacy glass. So I sent an inquiry to Nissan:
I am a new Murano owner and will be adding UV protection film to at least some of the windows. Do you have information on the amount of UV protection inherently provided by the vehicles windows? I'm interested in UV penetration numbers for:

- front windscreen
- first row side windows
- second row side windows
- cargo area side windows
- cargo area rear hatch window
- moonroof windows
They've replied with:
Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, inc. regarding your 2010 Murano and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance. We are writing to inform you your request has been forwarded to the appropriate department for further processing. We will follow up with you via e-mail when we receive the requested documentation.

Please be advised a request of this nature is often a lengthy process, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We greatly appreciate your patience in this matter.
I'll update when I get the numbers so it will be quicker and easier for my fellow forum members.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll update when I get the numbers so it will be quicker and easier for my fellow forum members.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a follow-up. :headshake

-njjoe

#3 ·
Don't hold your breath waiting for a follow-up. :headshake-njjoe
I have seen various comments about Nissan's poor customer service. It's funny that on a Toyota forum (we have a couple of Camry's in the herd) someone posted about contacting Toyota support and getting the numbers back the very same day.

#7 ·
Got a reply. The information was in a nice table in the email that did not translate well to the forum. So I've neatened it up as best I can. It seems like all the glass blocks >/= 92% of UV.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Nissan North America, Inc. in regards to the UV protection film on your 2010 Nissan Murano.

We would like to apologize for the lengthy process, and for any inconvenience this may cause you. We appreciated your patience in this matter.

The information below is the information you have requested.

----------------------------------------------------------------
GLASS | SUPPLIER | COLOR | THICKNESS (mm) | Tv (%) | Tuv (%)

WS | AGC | Green | 4.7 | 79 | 0

FR DOOR | AGC | UV Green | 5.0 | 74 | 8

RR DOOR
| NSG | Dark Gray | 4.0 | 18 | 6

S/WDW
| AGC | Dark Gray | 3.125 | 6

B/DOOR
| AGC | Dark Gray | 3.125 | 6

ROOF
| NSG | Dark Gray | 4.018 | 6
----------------------------------------------------------------

AGC (ASAHI GLASS CO.,LTD.)

NSG (NIPPON SHEET GLASS CO.,LTD.)
Tv (Visible ray transmittance)
Tuv (UV transmittance)

If you have any additional concerns or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail or contact our Consumer Affairs department directly at 1-800-647-7261.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.

Reactions: Murana
#9 ·
Got a reply.
:29: Nice job.

We can clean-up the chart and make this a sticky for future reference.

-njjoe

#11 ·
:29::29: A double nice job!

It is now a "stickie".

-njjoe

#18 ·
Thanks for this info

I just purchased a new 2011 Murano SV a couple of weeks ago. It's my first new car I have ever owned, and so far there is nothing I don't love about the vehicle.

I made the huge mistake of tinting the windows last week (wanted it even darker than the factory stained OEM glass) at 4% tint. Its all but impossible to see out the windows at night, because of the compounding factor of the tint and darkened glass.

Even during the day, it's a nuisance and not worth it. Will definitely have to get the job redone, especially now taht I realize my hatch is only getting 1% light through...(.25X.04).

Either way, this site is a great resource, and I wanted to thank you guys for sharing, I couldn't find this information (regarding the stock light transmittance %'s) anywhere but here.

A grateful new member to this forum,
Daniel

#22 ·
I made the huge mistake of tinting the windows last week (wanted it even darker than the factory stained OEM glass) at 4% tint. Its all but impossible to see out the windows at night, because of the compounding factor of the tint and darkened glass.

Even during the day, it's a nuisance and not worth it. Will definitely have to get the job redone, especially now taht I realize my hatch is only getting 1% light through...(.25X.04).
Dan, thanks for one of the most thoughtful posts I've read on the topic of glass tinting.

The thing some folks tend to forget is that your LIFE depends on being able to see out those windows - all of them.

Every state has different laws regarding the acceptable amount of tint on windows. Excessively dark windows are dangerous to you and also make law enforcement people nervous if they ever approach the vehicle. Both are huge negatives.

I researched this once and found a helpful site: Auto Window Tint Laws | TintCenter Window Tinting

Some states have no limitations, but most do. It's a good idea to adhere to them and not to exceed the legal limits for light reduction.

Congratulations on realizing that your eyes are telling you something important! :4:

#21 ·
That sounds about right. I had mine done this past spring at 35% too. Although it isn't legal in Illinois, something about SUVs with factory tints in the rear, can only do 50%. There's a picture in my gallery with a side view of my MO where you can get an idea how it looks. Also, an earlier one, same view, before I had the tinting done. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

#25 ·
Just look at the chart, the windsheild is tinted at 79% and the front windows are at 74%. Although i would let the tint shop correctly match them as materials have different properties and colors between brands.

#29 ·
My co-worker just told me that he got a new prescription and he told me there is a new product (and he has it) that transition while inside the car.

I also wear glasses but my transition NEVER turns dark when I'm inside the car.

BTW, I'm about to purchase a pre-cut windshield tint.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370593415698#ht_6556wt_907

Anybody here has a recommended other brand?

TIA

#27 ·
Photochromic lenses will not darken in a car (with all windows up) because they react to the UV light that is so effectively blocked by auto glass. I know, I keep a pair in the car.

The reason that the windshield is 100% blocking the UV is because it is laminated glass. The plastic interlayer stops all the UV which manages to pass through the glass.

Even clear window glass will stop most UV. It is just the nature of normal glass to not transmit UV very well. Fused silica glass transmits nearly 100% of the UV, but is never found in windows outside of laboratory settings because it is very difficult to manufacture.

#31 ·
I just got a traffic violation for having 12% tint on my 2 front windows. I didn't even know they were 12%. I told the guy to match up the front windows with the back ones. But I had forgotten he had already put a layer of 35% on the back windows which were already dark from factory.

#32 ·
Sorry to hear that. It's a reminder that staying within state law is a very good idea, and looking up the numbers online before installation is also a good idea.

#34 ·
I know but it was daytime and the the sun was out. I didnt think they would stop me for that. I once got stopped at 4am and I was drunk as a fish and I got stopped. the cop asked me "do you know why I stopped you?" I said cuz my music was too loud? he said "yes your right, license and registration" I said no problem Im gonna get a ticket for noise pollution and I wont have to take a breathalizer. 35 minutes later he comes back and gives me a ticket for my 2 front windows being too dark(he never measured how dark they were) and for noise pollution. I said "thank you Baby Jesus" Never again I go clubbing, drinking and driving. Now I carpool to places.

#37 ·
In Canada and I wouldn't be surprised if the law is the same your windows can't be darkened or tinted, and the police must be able to see into your vehicle not matter is what time of day or night it is. Just be thankful you don't live in Colombia because you aren't allowed to tint your windshield if you do you were given a warning first, the second time the police smash your windshield in. :)

#38 ·
In Ontario and Quebec;

Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle; Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

If they decide they can't see you, you could be fined anywhere from $85, plus surcharges and fees, to $500.

In British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, it's illegal to have any tint at all on driver and passenger side windows.

"A lot of people are surprised to find that out," says Calgary Police traffic section Staff Sgt. Paul Stacey. "Shops here aren't supposed to do the front side windows but some still do."

Likely if you look at the laws in the States they are probably similar to the Canadian ones when it comes to window tinting.

As for the police, and other emergency vehicles being tinted, well there is a law that exempts them from the tinting law. Just like there is law that exempts them from the driving while talking on your cell phone. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.