2009-2011 Air Cabin Filter Change Info - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2009-2011 Air Cabin Filter Change Info

B7277-JN20A is the Nissan part # for the cabin filter that you use for the 2009, 2010, 2011 Murano. Nissan gets approx. $40 for the cabin filter alone + install fee if you have them do the replacement.

There are various aftermarket replacement filters available.
TYC brand, is available for $9.72 each @ Rock Auto.com. The TYC brand part # is 800117P

The replacement of the 2009-2011 air cabin filter is relatively easy for most anyone. See the TYC instr.below.
Note, The air flow is toward the cab of the vehicle, away from the engine.

Hint from another thread:
"I believe it's best to first pop open that dividing point in the carpet (just ahead of the passenger seat's front). Then pull the panel back towards the seat which will pop off the middle clip holding the panel. Then pull downward on that loose end of the panel to get it out from under the overlapping plastic that covers the very top part of the panel. When that's done you can pull the whole panel outward and back towards the passenger side door and the will allow the front clip to come free. When you go to put it back it's best to put that front clip in first. It almost appears that removal of the filter could be accomplished without even taking off this side carpet-panel, because the cover over the opening of the filter can be removed without taking the carpet panel off."

eeeee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Qat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for posting, BillArf.

The price from Rockauto is excellent. If you need one quickly or simply prefer to buy locally, the Purolator cabin air filter (part# C45871) is about $16 at Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys.

2010 SL Tinted Bronze/Beige | Leather | Premium | 360°
LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch
post #3 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Rock Auto has very good prices.. I just bought 4, 800117P, TYC cabin filters ($9.72 ea.)and 3 Wix, 51358 oil filters ($7.53 ea.) for a 2011 Murano and total was $69.13 to include shipping. No way to touch these prices locally...

eeeee
post #4 of 21 Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

In regard to changing the cabin filter on a 2009, 2010, 2011 Murano:

You do not need to remove the carpet panel as instructed in the TYC instructions. If you look closely at your Murano, you will see the opening where the cabin air filter cradle is located is not covered by carpet. You will see the black release tab which you push "gently" upwards that releases the cabin air filter cradle access door. The TYC instructions are correct otherwise.

Do, DISREGARD this incorrect hint mentioned in my earlier post and quoted below. You do
not
need to remove the carpet panel as stated in the hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post

Hint from another thread:
"I believe it's best to first pop open that dividing point in the carpet (just ahead of the passenger seat's front). Then pull the panel back towards the seat which will pop off the middle clip holding the panel. Then pull downward on that loose end of the panel to get it out from under the overlapping plastic that covers the very top part of the panel. When that's done you can pull the whole panel outward and back towards the passenger side door and the will allow the front clip to come free. When you go to put it back it's best to put that front clip in first. It almost appears that removal of the filter could be accomplished without even taking off this side carpet-panel, because the cover over the opening of the filter can be removed without taking the carpet panel off."
Edited TYC Instructions:
post #5 of 21 Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Bill....just in time. I was going to buy the filter and tear into the carpeting as originally shown this week....now this seems to simplify things quite a bit. If it's as simple as it appears, I wonder why Nissan wanted $80 to R and R the filter.....it couldn't take more than five minutes to access the filter and get it out. Simple answer....$$$$$

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #6 of 21 Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck jones View Post
Thanks Bill....just in time. I was going to buy the filter and tear into the carpeting as originally shown this week....now this seems to simplify things quite a bit. If it's as simple as it appears, I wonder why Nissan wanted $80 to R and R the filter.....it couldn't take more than five minutes to access the filter and get it out. Simple answer....$$$$$

dealership, aka stealership ............. they are not your friend. It's all about money to them and no more. Maintain a good relationship with them but be very wary of them.

In regard to your cabin air filter change. If it takes you more then 3 minutes I would be very surprised. Just make sure you have your glasses on so you can see the arrow on the filter. Arrow should be pointing toward the back of the car.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 PM

Actually, the $80 was the labor charge....then throw another $29 or so on there for the dealership cost of the filter and you just blew over $100 for what can be done in five minutes for LESS than $20. In another thread, there's a discussion of cheaper filters thru another vendor; I believe someone found one for around $10....and I found one fellow who suggested the same filter comes from the 08 Nissan Altima for $19.

I had a friend who works in parts pull the Altima and the Murano filter and they're exactly the same size...interchangeable, but he said the Altima filter definitely appeared to be better made and had better filtration. I don't know how good the filtration is on the aftermarket $10 one, but unless you're hyper allergenic, it probably wont' make much difference. What the heck...you roll down the windows right? That sort of bypasses the cabin filter

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #8 of 21 Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

snipe:
Quote:
Tried to change the cabin filter, but it slipped forward toward the firewall and is unretrievable for the moment. Hate the thing.
Yes, fingers can push that cabin filter back in a bit making it difficult to get a hold of. Hint: After you remove the plastic door covering the cabin air filter cradle/holder, do not initially try to use your fingers to grab it. Hook the filter (use a pointed tool with a hook) carefully and pull it out enough to where you can get your fingers on it securely, then grab it with fingers and pull/remove. Try to grab it with your fingers first and you will undoubtedly push it back in where you will ultimately need a hook to get to it / to get it out.

eeeee
post #9 of 21 Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Bill is right on....I have a friend who works at Nissan so I talked him into changing mine out for me for a six-pak....well worth it. He took that hook looking tool Bill posted a picture of....and grabbed the filter in the middle about dead center,(the filter is made of an accordion shaped pleats) then pulled it out so that he could grab the bottom...it deforms the filter but so what. Once he had pulled it out and away from its seat, he could grab the bottom border that's made out of a stouter material, he just wrestled the damn thing out of the bottom access port....it was badly deformed when it finally came out...but again, so what. He was not gentle with it, so I dont think you need to approach the extraction like a neurosurgeon.

On the re-install, he sort of flexed the new filter slightly a little like a taco shell,but no where nearly as drastic...just enough to fold in the sides inward slightly, then slipped it up and in and unflexed the sides so that it fit into place.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the last cabin filter I'm putting in there...if you roll down your windows you bypass it anyway...so Yutta' Hey.

post #10 of 21 Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the filter that is shaped as needed to slip into the cradle holder easily. The pic shows cellophane on which if course you would remove on the one you are inserting.

eeeee
post #11 of 21 Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Qat

Changed my cabin air filter this afternoon, and what Chuck and Bill say makes a bit more sense. The thing is, the opening to the filter slot is smaller than the size of the filter. So you have to get it through that opening and allow the top and bottom to expand to fill the space. Since the filter goes in such that the pleats run horizontally, it's not so hard once you get it figured out. It is not so easy to describe, but once you start getting the new filter into the opening it becomes apparent how to make it fit.

For extraction, I used a flathead screwdriver to catch the bottom and pull it out, then grabbed it with my fingers and worked it out the rest of the way. The filter was somewhat dirty at 15K miles, but not so bad. I think I would have been willing to leave it in for another 4 months, but once you pull it out it is pretty mangled. Which brings up another thing - you can't really take a look at it to see if it needs changing. Once you pull it out you are committed.

The two Camrys we have (2003 and 2007), by comparison, are a piece of cake. Open the glove box, pull of the arm that makes it open gently where it clips to the side, squeeze the sides in to let the stops clear the side of the opening so the box will lower all the way down. The air filter is easy to see and reach at this point and the opening is as wide as the filter. In the 03 Camry, you actually pull out a tray that the filter sits in.

LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch
post #12 of 21 Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Cabin air filters are known to be a haven for mold, mildew, mice, bugs, dirt and more. Breath ability is also compromised. A filter may not appear real dirty to the eye but still its serviceability has ended.

I recently changed the cabin filter on my 2011 Murano with 16,000 miles on it. Filters looked a tad discolored, did not smell fresh, had some hair, lint and bits of dry tree leaves on it. When I used a vacuum crevice tool to vacuum out the cradle/carrier it vacuumed out quite a few leaf fragments that were not visible to the eye but down in the cradle/carrier.

Seeing this, I will change the cabin air filter on all my vehicles yearly ... every Fall, well after the leaves have fallen off the trees.

eeeee
post #13 of 21 Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Qat

Ah, vacuuming is a good idea since the filter sits vertically. I change the filters in the Toyotas yearly, but in the Spring after the pollen. I was changing this one based on the maintenance schedule, but will probably shift to Spring as well.

post #14 of 21 Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Qat: You said the pleats run horizontally? Although I didn't change it myself but watched the service tech tear it out (literally just grabbed it and ripped it out), I could have sworn that he reinstalled it with the pleats running vertically? Since I didnt' do it myself, but was looking over his shoulder, I could be wrong....

Did you use the Nissan filter or an aftermarket one? He told me that the 08 Altima filter was the same one as the one that's used in the Murano, except the Altima filter is about $10 cheaper....go figure. I guess when you put the Murano part number on it, it automatically jacks up the price. He checked the part numbers and they matched.

Why they decided to change the positon of the filter box is beyond me...the designer must be a sadist. It was so much more accessible behind the glove box. Maybe making it tougher to get at would drive you to the service depatment? Naaahh....they wouldn't do that.

post #15 of 21 Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck jones View Post
Qat: You said the pleats run horizontally? Although I didn't change it myself but watched the service tech tear it out (literally just grabbed it and ripped it out), I could have sworn that he reinstalled it with the pleats running vertically? Since I didnt' do it myself, but was looking over his shoulder, I could be wrong....

Pleats run horizontal on the cabin filter as it resides in the cradle/carrier.
A decent aftermarket cabin air filter for the Murano can be had for under $10.00.

eeeee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: