2011 Remote Start - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2011 Remote Start

Hi Everyone - I am leasing a new Murano S AWD this week and I'd like to have a remote starter installed. Has anyone had this done to their Murano? I've heard this may effect the warranty on the car and I want to make sure that's not true. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Lola11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This sure sounds like a potential problem to me, Lola. But then, having never rented a car nor had a need for a remote starter (with garages attached or under my house for decades), I'll admit I'm not the best source to answer your question. Lots of people have put remote starting systems on their Mos, but I'm pretty sure most of them bought their cars.

My educated guess would be to get clearance from whomever you are renting your Mo from, and you'll minimize your chances for problems when (if) you decide to turn the car in down the road. Good luck with the Mo - they are great cars!
nafddur is offline  
#3 Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered User
 
truonyxrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i asked about having the remote start installed on my 2011 murano sl when i leased it last week and the dealer said the remote start doesnt do so well with the push button start. i also asked if i had it installed on my own, would it void any part of the warranty and the guy wasn't positive but it could void something in the electrical part of the warrenty. i would ask your dealer and if anything have them install it for you. if a nissan dealer installs it for you i dont see where there would be a problem.
since i have the heated seats and heated steering wheel and never had remote start on any of my old cars i figure i will do what ive been doing, run down to the garage and start the car and run back inside lol
truonyxrose is offline  
#4 Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - Thanks for the advice. I was going through the dealer to install it, but they don't do it onsite. He actually said they send it out to Zippos. I'm just not sure how well it's going to work with the push button and I don't want it to be more of a hassle then a convenience.
Lola11 is offline  
#5 Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so why would the car manufacturers build their vehicles with the push start button if they know the remote starters won't work well with them? I know the push start button is a neat feature but where I live....it can get freakishly cold in the winter (today dipped down to -28 C). I sure hell don't want to go outside and start my vehicle.
Cargirl is offline  
#6 Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remote start works nice. No problems with pushbutton start in my 2010 LE. I had remote start installed as part of the purchase, and the dealer had it installed by "their vendor".

Everything works seamlessly - 2 presses on the fob flashes the lights, then starts the Murano after a few seconds. On entering, you must not touch the brake until you press the ignition twice, otherwise the engine turns off.

Have to say that I am "very" happy to have the remote start here in the Hudson Valley this winter!
SHO95driver is offline  
#7 Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Had one installed by a dealer vendor on my 09 MO. Works perfect, although the remote doesn't seem to have as much range as my other vehicles systems. One of your keys will have to be hidden in the car for it to work. Mine was made by Directed Electronics.
Philip is offline  
#8 Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO95driver View Post
Have to say that I am "very" happy to have the remote start here in the Hudson Valley this winter!
Just thinking about the winters there makes me freeze. But then, when I was going to school near there in the late 60's and early 70's, I was getting around in 6 volt VW's (with barely any heat at all).
nafddur is offline  
#9 Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
Just thinking about the winters there makes me freeze. But then, when I was going to school near there in the late 60's and early 70's, I was getting around in 6 volt VW's (with barely any heat at all).

My Dad had a VW fastback around that time. You would freeze especially in bumper to bumper traffic.The engine sounded like a sewing machine.
Philip is offline  
#10 Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Had one installed by a dealer vendor on my 09 MO. Works perfect, although the remote doesn't seem to have as much range as my other vehicles systems. One of your keys will have to be hidden in the car for it to work. Mine was made by Directed Electronics.
Philip, I agree with you re: limited range at times. Generally speaking, if my Murano is in sight I can start it, but also at times I can start it from the center of a large office building. My system is from Code Alarm.

My intent this winter was to use my 2nd car as a daily "work" vehicle and keep some miles off the Murano, but the remote start has beeen so sweet with the cold weather we've had that my 2nd has remained parked. A typical morning goes - 5:30, open garage door from kitchen window, remote start and make sure the taillights flash, dress and by the time I get to Murano it's warm. Also a bonus if I remember to turn on heated seats the night before! Nice!
SHO95driver is offline  
#11 Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered User
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO95driver View Post
Philip, I agree with you re: limited range at times. Generally speaking, if my Murano is in sight I can start it, but also at times I can start it from the center of a large office building. My system is from Code Alarm.

My intent this winter was to use my 2nd car as a daily "work" vehicle and keep some miles off the Murano, but the remote start has beeen so sweet with the cold weather we've had that my 2nd has remained parked. A typical morning goes - 5:30, open garage door from kitchen window, remote start and make sure the taillights flash, dress and by the time I get to Murano it's warm. Also a bonus if I remember to turn on heated seats the night before! Nice!
I assume you have a second fob that operates the remote start on the vehicle? I had a dealer recently tell me there is an aftermarket remote start that now will work with the Nissan factory fob. Cost $500+.

eeeee
BillArf is offline  
#12 Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
push to start and remote starting are good friends being properly installed.
be ready to charge installer about $100-150 for the job and about $100 for the equipment. ask for avital 4113 (if u need only RS), it supports factory fobs and have own small one-button fobs to operate. if your car is not in sight - use this fob, else - use factory (usually about two/three pushes of lock button). this is the cheapiest solution being very handy and useful.
mllr is offline  
#13 Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
I assume you have a second fob that operates the remote start on the vehicle? I had a dealer recently tell me there is an aftermarket remote start that now will work with the Nissan factory fob. Cost $500+.

Yes, my setup uses a small, second fob for the remote start. As MLLR writes above, there seem to be systems available now that incorporate the factory fob. That sounds nice, but I'd like to know more about the operating range of the factory fob vs the aftermarket fob. If you would still need to carry the aftermarket fob for distance anyway, then it's not so impressive.

But it's all good! This morning it was below zero on the ride in to work, and I had a warm car to start the drive.
SHO95driver is offline  
#14 Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO95driver View Post
That sounds nice, but I'd like to know more about the operating range of the factory fob vs the aftermarket fob. If you would still need to carry the aftermarket fob for distance anyway, then it's not so impressive.
Factory fob and aftermarket fob are working separately.
The distance of the factory fob is the same as for locking/unlocking doors, about 600 ft.
An aftermarket one gives you about 3000 ft.

But there is no need for you to wear aftermarket with you, only when long distance needed, because of different radiochannels using.

// technical info
doors wire is connected to activation input of remote start module which is programmed to start after 3 pulses.
mllr is offline  
#15 Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
I assume you have a second fob that operates the remote start on the vehicle? I had a dealer recently tell me there is an aftermarket remote start that now will work with the Nissan factory fob. Cost $500+.
Mine was $200. using the factory remotes.
If you put the remote under your chin, it will increase the range of the signal. Works good in parking lots if your looking for your car.
Philip is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On