Daytime Running Lights using Fogs - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Daytime Running Lights using Fogs

I was able to get a Nissan dealer here is the US to reprogram my BCM so that the fogs now come on as soon as the engine starts up.

The US dealer didn't know about this when I initially asked them if they could do it, so I called a Nissan dealer in Canada.

The Canadian dealer was very helpful, looked up my VIN, and told me that according to their catalog, my VIN would accept being reprogrammed using the Consult 3. The Nissan dealer here in the US followed up with the Canadian dealer, and ordered a relay ahead of time. But, in the end, the relay wasn't needed- just a reprogram.

I was told by both dealers that not all Murano's BCMs would allow this. I have a 2009 model, and I was lucky.

Now, as soon as the engine starts, the fogs come on. When I switch to my HIDs, the fogs go off. With my HIDs on, I can turn on my fogs manually as I have always been able to do.

The only down side I have noticed is that the fogs will also come on if I use my parking lights, but since I hardly ever use these in isolation, it's not a big deal.

I'm really pleased. I had thought about buying the LED DRL kit, which looks great on all the pics I've seen in the forum, but I couldn't justify to myself spending $800 or so for a dealer install.

This mod still cost me just over $200. I estimate I was charged for around 2hrs labor. I think it could have been done for half that, but their tech spent time trying to find a harness for the relay before discovering he didn't need it, and I guess I may have paid for that time. The dealer here in the US (Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA) was a pleasure to deal with, so I was happy to pay their fees.

I think it's worth it. I have been switching on my HIDs during the day as a substitute for DRLs, and this is a much better option.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Non-factory LED DRL's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have my DRL or Fog lights always on, even at night. The LED DRL look great I don't understand why Nissan did not install them, its cheaper to use the existing set of lights and to add new ones. I assume 2013 models will have them.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice work! Since the 1st Gen MO in Canada also used the fogs as DTRL's, I wonder if this is possible for them as well? Much easier than making the custom harness I did for my '06.

2006 SL AWD - Platinum
post #4 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I had to do all the leg work but it was worth it.

I'm not sure if it's only Canadian Nissan dealers that can check the VIN against their database to see if the BCM can be reprogrammed. But I thought that was the best place to start.

I assume that all new cars in Canada need to have DTRLs, so I assume that they are probably geared up to do this update for non-Canadian Nissan's.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
Non-factory LED DRL's
post #5 of 29 Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DLR is a must on cars in Canada since years ago. They noticed that a couple of countries in Europe had the DLR and accidents were down compared to non DLR countries and we applied that here.

If to activate the DLR on a Murano its only a question of programmming it, They should have left it on for USA Murano. JmO
post #6 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up Worked

I took my 2011 Mo to Landers-McLarty Nissan in Bentonville, AR this morning, and an hour later the BCM was programmed so the foggies now serve as DRLs. Fantastic service, and only $109 US. First time they had ever done the update. The original post was the reason the dealership attempted it. Thanks!
post #7 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool, i'll head to clay Nissan in norwood tomorrow to see if they can do it to my 09..
Thanks for the info..
post #8 of 29 Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block8head View Post
Cool, i'll head to clay Nissan in norwood tomorrow to see if they can do it to my 09..
Thanks for the info..
Good luck! Let us know.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Details please!

Has anyone found the details on either how to check the VIN or what settings in CONSULT need to be changed?

I'm going to the dealer this week with my 09 LE and would like to get this done. Knowing where in the CONSULT menus would certainly be helpful so I can point them in the right direction.

Thanks!
post #10 of 29 Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM

i have mine schedule for upcoming thursday to have it done.....
post #11 of 29 Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

mark e
I don't know how to check the VIN other than to call Nissan directly - I'm sure they know. What I can tell you is that my insurance company was able to tell I had DTRLs because they told me that I had them before I looked into getting them turned on by my Nissan dealer. They were able to reference it in their system. Ask your insurance company to check your VIN to see if it comes up with DTRL's.

My other suggestion is that you get your Nissan Dealer to call Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA or Landers McCarty in Bentonville AR as mentioned by the earlier post. Since they did it for me, they ought to recall how to do it in the Consult. The service adviser at Clay that I dealt with was Mike. I'm sure he would be willing to work with your dealer. I've recommended Clay on this forum as I've always had good experiences with the service dept and get all my work done there rather than in NY whenever possible.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
Non-factory LED DRL's
post #12 of 29 Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmurano View Post
mark e
I don't know how to check the VIN other than to call Nissan directly - I'm sure they know. What I can tell you is that my insurance company was able to tell I had DTRLs because they told me that I had them before I looked into getting them turned on by my Nissan dealer. They were able to reference it in their system. Ask your insurance company to check your VIN to see if it comes up with DTRL's.

My other suggestion is that you get your Nissan Dealer to call Clay Nissan in Norwood, MA or Landers McCarty in Bentonville AR as mentioned by the earlier post. Since they did it for me, they ought to recall how to do it in the Consult. The service adviser at Clay that I dealt with was Mike. I'm sure he would be willing to work with your dealer. I've recommended Clay on this forum as I've always had good experiences with the service dept and get all my work done there rather than in NY whenever possible.
When I made the appointment I gave them the details...they said they would check on it with Nissan. I'll give them the names above if they need help.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block8head View Post
i have mine schedule for upcoming thursday to have it done.....
Got mine done today at Clay Nissan in Norwood,MA

Here are some pics after the BCM flashed...

FOG and LED DRL on when key is in ignition...

Parking light and Fogs is on in Parking light mode.. However, Leds DRL is off..

Day

Night:

Enjoy...

Mine is 09 LE.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM

Cool stuff!

Anymore info on what bcms may not be able to do this?

2010 Murano SL AWD
post #15 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
Cool stuff!

Anymore info on what bcms may not be able to do this?
From what i was told from the Tech,it's work on the 09 thru the 13 if your MO came with fogs from the factory..... Does not work with MO without factory fogs...
Nissan disable the US BCM model due to the DRL is not required.. Only Canadian and other country BCM is Enabled...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: