Nissan Murano Forum banner

Tire noise

15K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  Freedom55 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
i was just wondering, do u guys think that the murano has a lot of tire noise? Mine is a '11 LE AWD and i personally think there is a lot of tire noise. What do u guys think? I posted a thread last time about wind noise and that is already fixed, but now its the tire noise:D

#4 ·
Read comments here, and read reviews on tirerack.com and discounttire.com. You will find quieter tires. You might mention what YOU have.....

My Murano is running Firestone Destination LE tires (dealer put them on new, not my first choice) and there is no objectionable tire noise.

#12 ·
@ alexstr: here is the thread i posted, .... snip

so all '11 LE owners, what brannd are your tires? Im just afraid the dealer might switch them.
09 LE with Toyo's. 20k miles and nice and quiet - actually quieter than the wife's Lexus GS.

#11 ·
There are really only three that fit OEM size 235/55-20: Toyo Proxes, Yokohama Parada Spec-X and Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

I would think it would be pretty unusual for th edealer to change these. Possible Nissan would if there was a shortage of the Toyos...

#14 ·
Yesterday I removed the left upper cargo trim to gain access to the power liftgate motor and realized there's not much sound deadening material; that's why I can hear my Goodyear Eagle LS on every roads except the smoothest ones. I soundproofed my previous vehicle (2012 RAV4) which was way more noisier and I just might do the same to my MO as the result was quite good yet not perfect despite changing original tires, Toyo Open Country A20 for Bridgestone Dueler 422 Ecopia which were top rated by TireRack survey. I'm no soundproofing expert but I suspect any additional padding will help even on a relatively quiet vehicle like the MO from what I've read here. I would prefer to keep my original tires this time!

Not sure I will do all doors but I was thinking to do the cargo area first. P.S. I'm not concerned with the audio performance like many owners...

#16 ·
I have the 20" Toyo Proxes and they are very quiet . And fairly comfortable for a low profile 20" tire. I expected more tire slap and more transmission of road imperfections. I'm pleasantly surprised.

#17 ·
I guess I'm overly sensitive to noise...My windows and sunroof are generally closed with heat or a/c at the lowest comfortable speed and I rarely use the radio. No kids or dog in the car just my girl friend about half the time and she's not that noisy!

#18 ·
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires are about the quietest I've ever run. However, like all tires, they are quietest on the best pavement. They're all more noisy when pavement is rough.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Freedom55, oh trust me. I know the feeling. The ink is barely dry on the paperwork and I'm already researching replacement tires. I did the same thing when we had the Subie. I only wish that Continental would make an ExtremeContact DWS in this size. After the crappy Bridgestones were done we replaced them with the Contis and never looked back. I'm surprised they don't have this size in LX20 either. Maybe they will by the time I'm ready for a set. I have the Generals on my GTi and they are pretty decent.

#22 ·
When it's time to replace there will be only one choice for me. Yokohama Parada Spec X 255/50/20. Had them on my 09.

#23 ·
Limited choice in 235/55/20 but more in my size 235/65/18! IMO, Extreme Contact DWS and Yokohama Parada Spec X are more performance oriented; I'd be looking more for a touring type tire. I've had Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia "V" rated on my RAV4 but they were not much quieter than the Toyo A20 so I was quite disappointed and the handling was so-so but I knew about the latter. I'm not sure if the "T" rated would be quieter on my MO. Toyo Versado CUV, Conti LX20, Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seem like good alternatives.

#25 ·
Tires, tires, tires. It seems we can never find the perfect vehicle/tire combination. I'm going to need new tires this winter and have not decided on what to get at this point.

What's even worse, on my 2014 Explorer the tires are 245 60 R18, and the choices in that size are limited, at best. I'm looking for winter tires for that car, and have not found anything that suits me.

#30 ·
#27 ·
The problem with Tirerack is that users reviews and surveys are often conflicting vs the tests their staff perform; I prefer their tests and Consumer Reports up to a certain point as they also differ from Tirerack...It makes it hard to decide. Tirerack does sell Toyo Versado so one has to look somewhere else for reviews.

#28 ·
Like most reviews, you have to interpret what you read. I value a review from someone with 5000+ miles on the tires much more than someone with 100 miles on them. I also look for reviews written for similar vehicles.

Discount Tire also has reviews, they just don't cover as many tires.

#31 ·
Two votes for the Toyo Versado CUV, thanks guys! Do you like them for their quiet ride or general performance? I start to hear my Eagle LS from about 25 mph up to highway speeds even on smooth pavement, then wind noise masks tire noise; it's not dramatic but I would prefer to have "silent" tires instead of "quiet". The noise comes mostly from the cargo area. Still thinking about soundproofing at least the sides of the cargo area, a nice project in my garage on a cold and rainy Fall day; also the vents probably allow the noise to travel. Food for thoughts.

OEM tires are not the best in most cases but I've had Dueler H/T 687 on my RX300 and they were dead silent contrary to TireRack's surveys; O.K. the Lexus was well insulated from road and engine noise, just some side mirror wind noise. I've had OEM Kumho Solus KH16 on a lesser vehicle, a Kia Rondo with just about no soundproofing material and they were dead silent too despite TireRack's surveys. In both cases, I quickly replaced the tires for high performance A/S (Dueler H/P and Sumitomo HTR A/S P01) as the OEM's were no good on wet pavement but then the tire noise could be heard.

#32 ·
I find the Toyos feel more planted on the road than the Bridgestones. I don't drive aggressively so cannot compare in that area and I have not yet driven in wet or snow / ice to comment on that.

They are not quite as quiet as the Bridgestones on all surfaces - on some they are silent, on others there is a slight hum but not enough to bother me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.