Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear end unstable at higher speeds

23K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  ValiantCM 
#1 ·
Our Mo now has 170k kms and for the last few months I've noticed a wobble or shake in the rear when driving on the hwy, it happens when the pavement is uneven or if I go over a bump. It's getting worse than b4. It feels like something in the rear suspension is loose or worn. I checked for any play in the tires (top-bottom and side to side) while jacked up, they are all tight with no play.
I've recently replaced the front lower controll arms and rear shocks. Maybe it's time for rear controll arms or...? Anyone notice sometiing like this?

#3 ·
It's not a up and down shake. It's side to side. Bad shocks make the car more bouncy. That's not the issue here. It's almost like when the rear end is sliding on ice or something..if the pavement isn't nice and smooth it really shakes things up back there. Definitely not the shocks.

#4 ·
I remember a long discussion about this in some other threads, but not the solution. It might help to search for related discussions.

#9 ·
Overinflated rear tires?? :8:

-njjoe

#10 ·
That could do it. When I picked up my new 2012 from the dealer and drove it home, it was bouncing all over the road. Checking the tires, I found approximately 50# of air. When I reduced the tires to 35# it smoothed right out.

#12 ·
That was the first thing I checked. I wish it was that simple.

It's been getting worse over time. I noticed it when I first bought the Mo but it wasn't as bad as it is now. Also it wasn't as noticeable (but still there) when I had the 18" winter tires on. Way more unstable with the stock 20s

#14 ·
FYI -

I have had the rear shocks and coil springs replaced.

3 different types and sizes of tires.

Different inflation pressures.

Different toe angles.

Nissan service techs have been no help either.

None of these has helped. Again, I'm sorry and I feel your pain.

#16 ·
Thx for the links. No tow pkg.. No accidents.. No off road driving.

Just doesn't make sense for it to become worse over time. The bump steer in ur threads is something I noticed when I first bought the car and I looked past it.. Now it's hard to ignore.. Almost don't feel safe when it does it.

#17 ·
Nissan dealer had a look.. Said the only thing they see is that the rear shocks I just replaced are leaked out again.

There's a warranty on them... They are Monroe OESpectrum light truck. Supposed to be a good brand! Isn't ur odd that they both failed within a month or two of installation? Has this happened to anyone before?

#20 ·
Nissan dealer had a look.. Said the only thing they see is that the rear shocks I just replaced are leaked out again...Isn't ur odd that they both failed within a month or two of installation? Has this happened to anyone before?
Yes. Another member had reported multiple shock failures within a short period of time. That is why I had mentioned to check your rear shocks earlier.

#18 ·
I've had BAD experiences with Monroe.

Go directly to KYB and don't look back. Rockauto carries them, and you can change both rear shocks YOURSELF in about 45 minutes. It's a trivial job.

Read this to get the idea - your car isn't that different: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...-shock-replacement-1st-generation-murano.html

There are no pix of the rear shocks because they're so easy to replace. Three bolts, one below, two above. Re-use the shock boot.

#21 ·
I don't think this is the issue long time ago and not on the Murano but please check for radial tread separation. The steel belts break away internally but the tire looks fine on the outside. When going down the street, the rear end starts shaking like Kim Kardashian's butt. It is more of a side to side wobble when it happens. Not sure you can do it yourself, may need a tire expert.
I had someone follow me and check the rear tires to see what was happening. They could see it shimmy back and forth at low speeds.

#22 ·
I had replaced the 1st set of shocks myself and I just got the replacements under warranty and put those on. The 1st set were definitely leaked out and the rear shimmy was gone after a test drive. IT was the shocks after all.

The ride is ok on the Monroe.. I wish I coulda tried the other brand from rock auto instead (KYB?) but the warranty is only for direct replacement. If the new set fails I won't bother with rock auto no more and will look for a diff set. Hopefully I can find a pair of bilsteins for the mo?

#23 ·
Also I think the shimmy issue is always gonna be there to some extent. I noticed it when I first bought it and also noticed it on a 2010 fx 35 when driving over pot holes or bumps in the hwy... I think it's more to do with the wheel size because both have 20's on and the mo rides way better on the 18" winter set...

#29 ·
I'd forgot about this thread.
My problem of my vehicle, which was the same as the OPs', was caused by bad wheel alignment.
One of the rear wheels was way out.

I didn't think of this as the cause, because I was told that after work being done replacing the transfercase, a wheel alignment had been done, so I didn't think incorrect alignment was the cause. But, after thinking of the other possible causes and the cost to remedy, another wheel alignment by a different trusted business was the cheapest way to start to solve my 'bump steer' problem.
A second wheel alignment done, and what do I know, the previous wheel alignment, for some reason had not been good enough.
So my advice, from my recent experience, is that if a vehicle is experiencing steering/stability problems (and unless you KNOW differently), the most inexpensive place to begin after checking for loose bolts and stuffed suspension bushes and leaking shockers, etc., is to try a 4-wheel wheel alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.