Nissan Murano Forum banner

Canadian members, favor to ask on spare wheel size.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  works4me 
#1 ·
I have an Xcab murano with 20 inch wheels and as you may know the US sold xcab has no spare tire, I hear you northern neighbors cars are all required by law to have a spare so I assume the Canadian xcab has a spare up there.

Here is the favor I ask, can anyone who has factory OEM 20 inch wheels on their MO look at your spare and see if it is an 18 inch or 20 inch wheel and get me the tire size so I can let my dealer know or actually look for an aftermarket spare wheel / tire combo for my ride. Also if possible could someone in Canada call a dealer and get a spare wheel part # for a Canadian sold MO w/20inch wheels.
Local dealer parts dept looked up and they do not offer a spare for my serial number and somehow can't look up parts for Canadian built rides without a serial number and played dumb with me about it.

I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
I'm new here but perhaps I can help. I have 18" wheels but the manual shows the same size spare for 18" and 20" 165/90/18 as they all have the same diameter, about 30". Never heard of the requirement for a spare in Canada. Previous gen RAV4 with Sport Appearance package have no spare (run flat tires) BMW have no spare either and there are lots more. I doubt the spare would fit in our vehicle; it would have to lay flat on the trunk...If this is what you want, try getting one from a wrecking yard for much less money than new. Go your dealer and borrow a spare to try before spending money on this or measure if the recess is at least 30"?

North of the border we have requirements for DRL's, French & English warning labels and speedometer reading in km/h, otherwise pretty much the same as US 50 state models. I'm glad my MO has a full size temporary spare as I hate run flats or repair kits/pumps! Good luck.

Reactions: Wild and Free
#3 ·
Thanks Freedom55, I have heard and read many times of a spare requirement north of the border, now I have the truth from an insider!!!
I was thinking this but wanted confirmation. I did not get a full set of manuals with my ride so I am trying to learn some basics I am missing.
I spend way too much time on the open road to want to depend on the fix a flat kit that is in the car, I have never had a flat on the road that would even be close to fixable with fix a flat. If one had a slow leak then I could see the stuff possibly work but not on a blow out, I need peace of mind more than trunk space.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Manuals are available online or Ebay.

the 18" spare should work because the tire profile is different. as tires go up and down in wheel diameter (18 vs. 20 vs. 22) the tire profile can be changed so that the total diameter of the tire as it hits the road remains the same.

Read this for more - and note the difference in tire profiles in the graphic:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=25

#6 ·
Got the spare ordered, now I can have peaco of mind while traveling.
There is every year owners manual sets for all breeds of Nissan except for 2011 Murano, lots of 2009 and a couple 2013 sets but not sure if all would be the same in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.